Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: is it worth getting one of these?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #1

Default is it worth getting one of these?

just like the topic says..looking for cheap fun since i have a real crawler station wagon ( cherokee 42" articulation, jeep =just empty every pocket) Ive built and designed over 2 dozen real jeeps for crawlin, so is there any future for building one of these up?
xj4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

worth every penny
4runner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

When you consider that for the price of one of the little ones you can't even buy a speed control or a cheap a.m. radio, then yes they are worth every penny. I've got 6 clods and 2 tlt's and I love my little wally crawler. It is surprisingly capable out of the box and with a couple of cheap easy mods, they do extremely well. If mine breaks I will definitely get another.
Going down this weekend to get the 1/6 scale. The way I see it, if it breaks I can always put a set of clod or TXT axles under it and keep the wheels and tires for the realism.

Last edited by thaclodking; 09-14-2005 at 08:38 PM.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i have one and it is alot of fun, and will suprise you what they will do stock
roadkill424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:38 PM   #5

ok went out and bought one only complaint is the SLOW charger. i used to race 1/10 buggies at the pro level ( about 8 years ago) can i use my tekin bc112c to charge the lead acid battery? so far had it for 30 min and am already putting oil shocks on it and designing some long arm/ radius arms for it.
xj4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

totally worth it! i just got home from beating my 1/6th within inches of it's life. still runs like a champ!
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #7

I'm gonna be in the minority here and say they're not worth it. YES they're a ton of fun for not much cash. The only problem is longevity. IMO there's some major design flaws in the front axle/knuckle/axleshaft/steering department and until they solve those I would say they're not worth it.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:58 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj4play
just like the topic says..looking for cheap fun since i have a real crawler station wagon ( cherokee 42" articulation, jeep =just empty every pocket) Ive built and designed over 2 dozen real jeeps for crawlin, so is there any future for building one of these up?
what the heck kind of question is that? Yes they are worth every penny, go get one now.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave
I'm gonna be in the minority here and say they're not worth it. YES they're a ton of fun for not much cash. The only problem is longevity. IMO there's some major design flaws in the front axle/knuckle/axleshaft/steering department and until they solve those I would say they're not worth it.
I have driven my for about 30 hours since i got it, with 13oz of bbs in the front tires, and it still works perfectly, i dont jump it, i crawl with it. how are you breaking them?
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:49 AM   #10

Not worth it.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:37 AM   #11

I like mine,low cost but still does a good job
homer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic
I have driven my for about 30 hours since i got it, with 13oz of bbs in the front tires, and it still works perfectly, i dont jump it, i crawl with it. how are you breaking them?
By crawling it. It's too slow to jump anyways, LOL. This is the area where I went crawling, nothing too extreme.

This was my 2nd or 3rd run down there, my buddy Josh's first run with his ever. He ended up completely breaking one of the knuckles and having the wheel fall right off. Both of my knuckles showed SEVERE signs of stress and the pins on the dogbone were slipping out of the hub and destroying the hub, regardless if I was turned full lock or not. Yeah, they're fun, and I understand RC stuff breaks pretty easily, but I'd expect a little longer life out of these. If these had the upgraded parts I feel are necessary, mainly a more traditional drag link and a tie rod steering setup that wasn't belt driven, stronger knuckles and a better designed front axle joint, these would be worth it at $200 IMO.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Not worth it. Break far too easily and it's not worth trying to get Nylint to fix it or running back and forth to Walmart to exchange it.
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #14

I agree that the knuckles break pretty easily. especially the passanger side knuckle. I've returned one to walmart. and I'm seeing some major streatch/stress marks on the passanger side knuckle again.

BUT THEY ARE A BLAST!!!! Well worth it. If mine breaks I will probably just contact Nylint instead of returning to walmart because I've done a bunch of auxilary LED lighting that I don't want to have to remove and install on a new rig.

I'm trusting that Nylint will either offer replacement sterring knuckles or better yet, upgraded metal ones =) But these things are a blast. I wheel mine pretty hard and have a ton of hours on the newer one. SO far its still holding together well other than the stress marks mentioned.

- Ben
ygohome is offline   Reply With Quote