Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Summit mini-review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #1

Default Traxxas Summit mini-review

I have run the new Summit through a couple sets of 8000 mAh lipos now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts thus far.

1) The Summit crawls much better than I anticipated. I have owned a very well set-up Super class comp crawler, and I currently own a comp AX-10 and MRC. I knew the Summit wouldn't be comp-worthy, but it does surprise me when it makes a line that I thought not possible. It is very top-heavy though with the Exo-cage, and that was it's biggest problem so far. Throwing a lower/lighter body on would make a big improvement.

2) First upgrade should be stiffer rear springs.
As you'll see in my video, the rear squats so far that the diff is occasionally lower than knuckles and ends up dragging on the rocks.

3) Trick to locking/unlocking diffs: Stop the truck completely. Flip the switch. Go slowly forward and backward a couple of times until you hear the click. Done.

4) I love being able to drive between crawling spots.
I have a lot of little crawling spots in my neighborhood that you'll see in my video. With my dedicated crawlers, I have to pick them up and carry them between crawling spots. I love being able to flip a switch and drive the Summit between spots.

5) I love being able to switch between crawling and hill-climbing at the flip of a switch. Very similar to #4. The hills/mountain across the street from my house are much steeper than they look in the video. The Summit top speed is perfect for them because any faster and you end up flipping over. It is really cool to crawl, then hill-climb, then crawl again with one truck, one controller, and one set of batteries.

6) The lights are brighter than I anticipated.
The videos I watched before using my Summit made the lights look dim and worthless. They put out much more light than I expected. They light up my basement very well. I'll need to try them outside in the dark for a better idea though.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I've had (still have) several vehicles to compare this to, and I'll give you my honest opinion/comparison.

My Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmUVgHpioAY

I had better music, but YouTube killed it so I did a quick audio-swap replacement.

Thanks to Leo for doing most of the filming and to my daughter who is a great driver for being only four years old.

Good times.
kulangflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
RCC Addict

It looks like all round fun truck,see what you mean about the rear springs,got a saggy rear.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote