Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Can you leave the axles locked in 4 low?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #1

Default Can you leave the axles locked in 4 low?

I am having trouble keeping my rear axle in low range, it won't shift out of high. My front axle is in low. I personally don't care if I have a hi-lo range fuction, i just want the crawl. I have taken my rear axle apart a billion times already. What position does that black thing need to be with that white gear that it meshes with to have it in low range?
Otto Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2005, 06:14 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I haven't taken the rear apart yet but for the front it works with switches. Depending which switch is being held down determines the drive speed. There are two switches on the front and a small motor that moves an arm. When you switch gears on the controller it activates that motor which moves the arm over releasing the button its holding down and pressing down the opposite button. I'd assume this switch is what activates the rear also but i'm not sure.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
RCC Addict

pic for ya of the front end.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #4

I thought those little switches just told the gear shift motor to stop running when the arm came in contact with it. the actual gear change occurs when the piece on the axle is moved left or right by the pivot arm. In that pic, if I remember right, the axle should be in low. The drive motor always spins the same, but in high the planetary gears are not engaged (arm moved to the left).

If you want your axle in low, then the white piece that is moved by the pivot arm should be toward the blue planetary set.

If you try to run the axle while you have it apart, just hold down on the gear that runs the pivot arm. It will try and shoot up on you. That's how I figured out how to get both of my axles in the same gear. My front wouldn't go into low but the back was.

If what I said was backwards, a thousand apologies..... and lick my ball bearings.

Keith
LibertyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
RCC Addict

keith. that makes perfect sense to me.

a simple test would be removing the arm and manually sliding that white disc on the axle, no? Probably have to hold down the switches so that the motor doesn't keep trying to switch gears.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The rear axle doesn't have buttons like the front axle does. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

just hot glue the gear that moves the piviting arm in place if you want to keep it in low for good. i get tired of carrying it places and usually drive it in high though. with that battery i still can drive it home when i'm done.
4runner666 is offline   Reply With Quote