Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: how to find a rigs C.O.G..............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default how to find a rigs C.O.G..............

i see lines drawn on pictures as to there c.o.g....how does one find there rigs c.o.g. by a picture....i'll have to get a good side picture of my rig if that will help ...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

i think the lines on the pictures you're reffering to is for showing the anti squat design of your suspension.

As far as wanting to know where your CG is, it's not really necessary. If you drive and flop over alot your CG probably too high for your terrain. If you think you're dragging your skid alot you might want to try raising it.

A good test of CG is to find the balance point of the rig up an incline or the distance your rear tire is away from a wall when climbing straight up it. My rig has the lowest CG I have seen and I can get the rear tires ~1/2" away from the wall
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Pictures won't help you find you C of G, just looking at it and having a stab in the dark is just as good.

It's easy enough to find C of G, several simple techniques I can think of that are quicker to do than to explain. One involves hanging the rig sideways with two strings, mark a line on the side of the chassis between the strings, move the strings to different places and repeat. Where the lines cross.... X marks the spot.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

There is a mathmatical method for finding the Center of Mass of a fullsize vehicle. I suspect it could be used for 1/10 scale. Its commonly used for traffic accident reconstrucion. I could look it up or it could probably be found online.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
i think the lines on the pictures you're reffering to is for showing the anti squat design of your suspension.

As far as wanting to know where your CG is, it's not really necessary. If you drive and flop over alot your CG probably too high for your terrain. If you think you're dragging your skid alot you might want to try raising it.

A good test of CG is to find the balance point of the rig up an incline or the distance your rear tire is away from a wall when climbing straight up it. My rig has the lowest CG I have seen and I can get the rear tires ~1/2" away from the wall
Um I think you have the topic confused. CG (center of gravity) GC (ground clearance)
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
Um I think you have the topic confused. CG (center of gravity) GC (ground clearance)
your GC (ground clearance) is directly related to your CG (center of cravity)

i.e. if you lower your ride height, you lower your CG

I am not mixed up

my point was that there is no need to know that your CG is at 3.25" high, that is useless. Set up the rig based on the terrain you'll be driving it on.

Last edited by engineerjoe; 04-08-2009 at 02:51 PM.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
Set up the rig based on the terrain you'll be driving it on.
Although there are easy ways to pinpoint the C of G, and some good reasons for doing that, I tend to agree with engineerjoe too.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Basic Pythagorean stuff pretty much. Here's a link:http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=22
There are ways of lowering the CG (placement is everything) without lowering the ride height as well. Just have to be creative.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I just put a bolt in the vise and balance the rig on the bottom and the side and where the two spots intersect is the cog. I think you are supposed to do it without the wheels and axles to figure squat.....
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote