Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Big truck Testers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2004, 12:19 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Big truck Testers

I need 5 hard core big truck guys for some R&D. I am not looking for "Carnage Carl" that can bend an anval with a fly swatter either. I want 5 guys competing and who are running a GD-600 box. I want to test these.

They will be free and will be sent to the guys I see or hear on here should diserve this freeby, post up. This could be good for all of us because I can't break one.
Send a pm also if you want, thank you.
The Dude.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2004, 12:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Big truck Testers

Hook me up man.

PM'ed ya back too

truck stats:

TXT 1
55t Integy Lathe motor, 2.5 & 3.8:1 reduction options, 9t pinion, 7" assoc. BFT tires. Rock size? check the avatar. Final gear drive ratio freakin' LOW!
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

im good at braking things lol
skyjacker_rc_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Oh I forgot, for those who posted just go back and edit.

This is what I want to see.
1: type of truck.
2: size of tire
3: motor size and final gear eduction.
4: the total wieght of the truck with batteries and body's if you have them.
I'll even take a tuber if it competes alot. Field testing will count also if you go big rocks, like wich one isn't.

I will pick the five and you will recieve a pm.
Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:01 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

all the norcal crawler guys crawl some of the biggest, rocks youll see. seascape is just giant. I myself dont need it because im allready running a gd600 with turned down shaft. they work well
skyjacker_rc_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:15 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'll test... I run in comps.... I have big truck...
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

O.K. I'd like to know. I don't run a GD-600,never have seen one hands on,all I know is that it's a type of reduction box for RC's. I wouldn't mind getting some kind of reduction box someday. This part your wanting to test,what exactly does it do for the GD-600? Does it gear it down more,make it stronger,whats the scoop? Just wanting to learn a little. If I get a reduction box someday I'd like to know so I can get one that has different options or can be upgraded or made stronger if the need arises.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:04 PM   #8
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE
Oh I forgot, for those who posted just go back and edit.

This is what I want to see.
1: type of truck.
2: size of tire
3: motor size and final gear eduction.
4: the total wieght of the truck with batteries and body's if you have them.
I'll even take a tuber if it competes alot. Field testing will count also if you go big rocks, like wich one isn't.

I will pick the five and you will recieve a pm.
Thanks again.
-TXT-1
-Losi LST tires on narrowed wheels (~7")
-Stock motor or sometimes a 19 turn double, final ratio with 2.5:1 GD-600 is 85:1
-last time I hung it on the scale it was 11 lbs.

Currently I'm running a 15T pinion with the hole bored out to fit the GD-600.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:38 PM   #9
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
O.K. I'd like to know. I don't run a GD-600,never have seen one hands on,all I know is that it's a type of reduction box for RC's. I wouldn't mind getting some kind of reduction box someday. This part your wanting to test,what exactly does it do for the GD-600? Does it gear it down more,make it stronger,whats the scoop? Just wanting to learn a little. If I get a reduction box someday I'd like to know so I can get one that has different options or can be upgraded or made stronger if the need arises.
The GD-600 is a gear reduction unit designed for electric airplanes. You can get them from Tower for around $13. A regular 540/550 size motor bolts right to it. The problem is the output shaft on the GD-600. It's 3/16", standard pinions are for 1/8". Dude has taken a handful of GD-600 spur shafts and turned them down to 1/8" on a lathe. This allows you to run regular pinions but could possibly make the shaft weaker since, theoritically, the hardened material is removed exposing the milder non-treated steel.

I'm guessing the modified shafts will not be the weak link. The reduction unit is at the front end of the torque multiplication. I may be proven wrong, but I don't think there is a motor stout enough to twist off a turned GD-600 shaft. 8O
Old 09-09-2004, 08:44 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Here is a picture of the orginal shaft and reduction unit.

BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:58 PM   #11
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARK
Here is a picture of the orginal shaft and reduction unit.

Pics no worky :(

Here's a little tech write-up I did on installing a GD-600 in a TXT, included is picture of the unit that I robbed from Tower's website. The aluminum propellor mount slides off after loosening one set screw.
http://www.rccrawler.com/postlite1943-gd600.html
Old 09-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR
Pics no worky :(
Interesting, I linked them directly from towerhobbies.com and I can see them.
BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
I don't think there is a motor stout enough to twist off a turned GD-600 shaft. 8O

Thanks for explaining that. The theary on the hardening is right, but unless you have machined anything, I am not going to go into "machine hardening". google it please. If you don't understand it then don't feel bad.

I have been a steel fabricator for 20+ years, 15 of that high end and prototype. I am all self taught and now a thing or too. The best thing would be a porpose built tranny. It is spinning in my head right now.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:08 PM   #14
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
The theary on the hardening is right, but unless you have machined anything, I am not going to go into "machine hardening". google it please. If you don't understand it then don't feel bad.

I tried studying up on metallurgy, cryogenics, and tempering once..... too much info, made my brain hurt and swell, which eventually pushed out most of my hair. 8O
Old 09-09-2004, 10:51 PM   #15
RCC Addict

[quote="CSR"]
Quote:
I tried studying up on metallurgy, cryogenics, and tempering once..... too much info, made my brain hurt and swell, which eventually pushed out most of my hair. 8O
I have no hair!!!

BTW: this is not a first five post up thing. This is a best of 5 interviewed thru PM. Thank you, the DUDE.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I need more guys to post up. I have three for shure and would like to here from some from all over the US that is RC crawling.

Thanks Dude.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:02 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

i will test it i got a [b]txt-1 gd600 reduction stock motors 9t pinion gears i will be runnning in comps that the NORCAL RCRC have i also am putting a comp on right now and there should be a comp every month i would be glad to test it for you thanks BIGRED
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:23 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Hey dude, Sounds as if I will be seeing you soon, I am Sean I work with toyo on all of the orcrc and rcrockgear stuff. I would love to try your shaft (hehehehehe). I have several trucks. I think a good test rig would be the twin force though. Twin axles four linked twin tranny running a european inline gear reduction but have access to gd6'S cut narrowed kongs on custom offset savage wheels. Batts mounted on front axle. Truck is incredible has only been done for a few weeks but has made things that my maxx crawlers and tlt cannot even think about going up look easy. I am in Portland and dont check my pm too often so email me if possible. wrxsean@hotmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon.....

Oh you can see it in our pics in get togethers here. Narrowed landcruiser body

Sean
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:54 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I need one more tester, here is the list so far'
DirkDigler
rckjeep
wheels
bigred

Hackster and Toyo you will see one real soon so, that said, I need someone else on the line with these guys, thier huge(tires).

Dirk runs the big stuff too and knows a thing or two. Thats kind of what I am looking for. The shafts will go at the end of the week. I am not taking orders and don't know if I will. This is a test.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:33 PM   #20
RCC Addict

DirkDigler
rckjeep
wheels
bigred

Well thats looks like thats it I am spinning up shaft as I type, sorry I was trying before Mohab but between a wifes birthday and my daytime job caous I got alittle behind.

I haven't had the time to look for all addy's to send so send the mailing adress with a first name. I am off to work now, If I can get a couple done tonight I will post up. These will be for the guy's going to Mohab first and I am doing all between the next two days.

Thank again
Dude.