Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: attn veterans and anyone with some insight!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Exclamation attn veterans and anyone with some insight!!!

i know that this may sound silly but i somehow talked my "college" english teacher to let me write a research paper on my newest craze.. . .. RC ROCK CRAWLING!!! now the stuff i need for my paper is anything that the vets or anyone that has been around the block a time or two think i need to know. maybe how long it has actually been around, and what it may do for each individual. now c'mon people tell me what you think!!! thanks
and if this isnt the right spot for this post then please move it to where it needs to be.. . ..
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It might seem like a focused topic, RC Crawling is still pretty broad, what will the focus of your paper be, how it got started, the kinds of people that crawl, the inner child?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
It might seem like a focused topic, RC Crawling is still pretty broad, what will the focus of your paper be, how it got started, the kinds of people that crawl, the inner child?
the assignment is to explore many different aspects of the topic. the teach calls em "lenses" or perspectives, some of the examples given were social/cultural, entertainment, history, age, political, religious/spiritual, etc etc. but am not limited to only those. i hope this helps, thanks for the response.. . ..
Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
Who's your Daddy-0!

It all started with a guy named "Wheelchair" Guys hacked up Clods, Emaxx's, ect to fab their own crawlers, OG! Why do they do it? Because it's cheaper than 1:1 crawling. It's RC, RC is fun! The almighty "Badger and Jason" made RCCrawler.com. The end! PM Wheelchair for the complete history of RC crawling
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

R/C Rock crawling is very simular to Golf(But not exclusive). R/C Crawling, which held in competetions, helps a person to be more in touch with oneself. If you cant beat yourself, There is no way you can beat your apponent.
Note too, that when driving a crawler, It helps to have a sense of peripheral vision, which is, vision outside the very center of gaze. You wil need to focus on what you are doing NOW, as also to what you NEED to do, one or more GATES later. The object is to be where you want to be, before you get there, without incurring the penalties that would be detrimental to ones efforts for a better score, then doing it.
Just like life, If you want to be better than the JONES'S, the Jones's will aways win. You better yourself, then you become the Jones's.

Uh, What did I just say????

-Hermit (Jones' wannbe)

Last edited by Da Hermit; 04-27-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hermit View Post
R/C Crawling, helps a person to touch oneself. If you cant beat yourself, you can beat your apponent.

If you want to be better than the JONES'S, the Jones's will aways win. You better yourself, then you become the Jones's.

Uh, What did I just say????

-Hermit (Jones' wannbe)
I have no idea what your point was.....

I would say Braceysdad would be a great person to strive to be.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Default C"mon!!!

c'mon guys i KNOW there are a ton more people out there that can shed some light, helpa newb out!!! anything is better than nothin.. . ..
Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Adilynsdad too!

RC crawling has been my "escape" for a few years now...

With loss of my brother-in-law, who I had gotten into crawling just a few months before his death at the young age of 20, it was something I could do to remind me of the times we spent together. He had gone though his share of problems and had finally started to get his life on track. It was the one thing we could do together that was just "our" thing. Over the years I have made many friends that I will remain close to ever after this "fad" has come and gone... I can litterlly go anywhere in the US and be just a phone call away from a RC crawling buddy if help were needed.

I could go on and on about what RC crawling and RCC have done and more importantly mean to me
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDnewcrwlr View Post
the assignment is to explore many different aspects of the topic. the teach calls em "lenses" or perspectives, some of the examples given were social/cultural, entertainment, history, age, political, religious/spiritual, etc etc. but am not limited to only those. i hope this helps, thanks for the response.. . ..
History: The real OG's started in late '03. I've been doing it since '05 and was the only one doing it in northeast Ohio for a couple years. Which makes me state champ, I guess. Supers started it all, Clods and TXT's, Maxxes, X-Factors, running Jumbo Kongs or BFT tires. Everything made from scratch, no two rigs were ever alike. 2.2 was an entry-level class, TLT axles, Pede transmission, and hacked TLT side plates until some guy named Bender started selling chassis kits.

Then the Nylint came out and opened up RCC to every mouth-breather that could rub enough nickels together to pick one up at Wal-Mart and mod it with a duct-tape chassis.

Then the AX-10 opened up the floodgates, damaging RCC's search button beyond repair.

Scale rigs cropped up in '05, back then scale was an uncut body.

Social/cultural: A bunch of arrested-develoment cases playing in the woods, occasionally stopping to squeal like a piggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
It all started with a guy named "Wheelchair" Guys hacked up Clods, Emaxx's, ect to fab their own crawlers, OG! Why do they do it? Because it's cheaper than 1:1 crawling. It's RC, RC is fun! The almighty "Badger and Jason" made RCCrawler.com. The end! PM Wheelchair for the complete history of RC crawling
I thought DirkDigler invented crawling?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Driving in a comp. to me is a lot like shooting a game of pool in a bar. You have to drown out the people watching and talking about what you are doing. You have to make the shot (gate in the case of crawling) you are working on, but you still need to leave your self set up for the next one as well (for sight, and a game plan are needed). If you spend to much time paying attention to what your opponent is doing, you may lose sight of what you need to/can do.
It's like meditation for me. I get to shut out the rest of the world and just focus on what I am engaged in right now
I still wheel 1:1's, but the price and convenience of the RC is hard to beat. The over all experience, and the people in this hobby are not that different from the 1:1 world of off roading/crawling.
I have been doing this (the RC version that is) since 2002, so I am no "OG", but my 1st RC crawler was made of 3 different kits, and a hell of a lot of hand made (and re-made) parts and wheeled damn near as good as a stock AX 10 ARTR
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
RC crawling has been my "escape" for a few years now...

With loss of my brother-in-law, who I had gotten into crawling just a few months before his death at the young age of 20, it was something I could do to remind me of the times we spent together. He had gone though his share of problems and had finally started to get his life on track. It was the one thing we could do together that was just "our" thing. Over the years I have made many friends that I will remain close to ever after this "fad" has come and gone... I can litterlly go anywhere in the US and be just a phone call away from a RC crawling buddy if help were needed.

I could go on and on about what RC crawling and RCC have done and more importantly mean to me
by all means dont keep it short, i could use anything and/or possibly everything you posted so if you would like to keep it comin, and thank you for the reply and im sorry about your brother-in-law, but its good that you have something as awesome as rc crawling to remind you of the times you two had together.. . ..once again thanks aton
Old 04-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDnewcrwlr View Post
by all means dont keep it short, i could use anything and/or possibly everything you posted so if you would like to keep it comin, and thank you for the reply and im sorry about your brother-in-law, but its good that you have something as awesome as rc crawling to remind you of the times you two had together.. . ..once again thanks aton
I'll pm you my number and we'll talk...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
History: The real OG's started in late '03. I've been doing it since '05 and was the only one doing it in northeast Ohio for a couple years. Which makes me state champ, I guess. Supers started it all, Clods and TXT's, Maxxes, X-Factors, running Jumbo Kongs or BFT tires. Everything made from scratch, no two rigs were ever alike. 2.2 was an entry-level class, TLT axles, Pede transmission, and hacked TLT side plates until some guy named Bender started selling chassis kits.

Then the Nylint came out and opened up RCC to every mouth-breather that could rub enough nickels together to pick one up at Wal-Mart and mod it with a duct-tape chassis.

Then the AX-10 opened up the floodgates, damaging RCC's search button beyond repair.

Scale rigs cropped up in '05, back then scale was an uncut body.

Social/cultural: A bunch of arrested-develoment cases playing in the woods, occasionally stopping to squeal like a piggy.

I thought DirkDigler invented crawling?
thanks alot this helped alot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango#95 View Post
Driving in a comp. to me is a lot like shooting a game of pool in a bar. You have to drown out the people watching and talking about what you are doing. You have to make the shot (gate in the case of crawling) you are working on, but you still need to leave your self set up for the next one as well (for sight, and a game plan are needed). If you spend to much time paying attention to what your opponent is doing, you may lose sight of what you need to/can do.
It's like meditation for me. I get to shut out the rest of the world and just focus on what I am engaged in right now
I still wheel 1:1's, but the price and convenience of the RC is hard to beat. The over all experience, and the people in this hobby are not that different from the 1:1 world of off roading/crawling.
I have been doing this (the RC version that is) since 2002, so I am no "OG", but my 1st RC crawler was made of 3 different kits, and a hell of a lot of hand made (and re-made) parts and wheeled damn near as good as a stock AX 10 ARTR
this also helped a ton, thank you!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
I'll pm you my number and we'll talk...
sounds good, thank you
Old 04-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #15

I think it would be good to acknowledge at the beginning of your paper what really started/inspired R/C rock crawling.. that is real 4x4's and peoples desire to push themselves and their machines (R/C or not) to the limit.

You need to come up with a main theme and find 3 or 4 main ideas that support your main theme. Find 3 or 4 things that support each of your main ideas and your paper is pretty much done.

For myself, it's a fun hobby. I'm new to it R/C crawling. I climbed rocks for years as a mountaineer and find much the same "zen" in R/C crawling that I found in rock climbing. I have to read the rock, see it, "feel" it, and work within my limits to keep my rig on the rock.

It's a good excuse to get outside, and a good excuse to tinker.
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

The MUDCOW videos back in 03-04 got me into this sport but i havent seen or heard about him for a few years now.
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
mjh
Quarry Creeper

I am 30yo and a father of 4
RC has always been apart of my life.When I was little my brothers ran Tamiya mountaineers & Bruisers..And they were into trail driving.My first rc was in..oh crap I think 1987 I was 8yo and I bashed hard aswell as trailed it with my brothers but the Clod was far more capable when it came to driving over stuff
As far as I can tell it all started from bashing--

Tamiya-Bruiser,Clod,TXT,TLT,and now CR01-Hi lift...King of straight axles and detailed bodies

mixxed with innovative thinking and design...

Once 1:1 crawling started taking place everyone looked over at the shelf or dug an old friend out of the closet and started building and tuning...'

And then Axial came out and blew it wide open

And then thanks to others mentioned it was brought into the light faster then you could shake a stick at it and now we have ppl building and competing all over the world with corprate sponcers and companies building us more and more parts and supplies to only further our HOBBY

As for me I comp every month in LMRCC and build-work-tinker with my rig everyday even if its just to clean it...Its my sanitity and the only part of my life thats mine

Thats how I see it anyways..Just my $0.02
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

i found that RC crawling is a helluva lot cheaper than 1:1 4 wheeling

if it flips, just pick it up and flip over....no harm no foul

it can be expensive at first to get going and setup right, but once your going, its all about the fun factor

i can compete and come in last, but i am smiling at the end because i know i had a good time and shared some laughs.....everytime i run it, i feel like a little 5 yr. old on x-mas morning
NCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
History: The real OG's started in late '03.

I remember back in the late 90's early 2000's drooling over a ESP Clodzilla IV race kit. That was a full on Rock crawler chassis out for retail well before late 2003...
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #20

I'm one of the younger members that has the addiction known as RC crawling.

For me, it's a chance to see people giving it all they have. They all set a goal: To win a comp, or to place better than they did before. Then, they strive to achieve it. When they do succeed, it's great to see the pride and joy that comes over them. When they come up short, they only become more determined. Also, it's a chance to see an apparently laid-back event that turns competitive in the heat of the moment. The sport focuses on the individual's thought process and decisions. It also encompasses the experience the individual gains from others. Each individual relies on others as well as themselves. No one gives up.

RC crawling is not only affordable and enjoyable, but also teaches some lessons that are not to be overlooked. It's a great chance to see what happens with determination.

Good luck on your paper!
ReDone is offline   Reply With Quote