Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 2wd rock buggy *custom*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #1

Default 2wd rock buggy *custom*

Lets start with a picture of the way it sets now.

That is nowhere near where this project all started. I was really liking the crawlers after driving stadium trucks for a while i fugured it was time for a switch. Iwanted to build a completely free rig. Originally i used an old kyosho touring car 1/12 chassis, i beleive(correct me if wrong) that is was a buick stock car. But any way i turned it upside down and it just looked like a free crawler chassis to me. So i took an electric evader rearend(jb weld locker) and front bulkhead/controll arms made some axles similar to the "maxx" way. Slapped the evader shocks on it and some electronics and had VI done, How about a pic

As you can see it was very quickly built but there were some problems i needed to address. The first thing was the stiff springs, i put some losi reds and whites on it. I moved the servo back becouse it was like a big a$$ bumper messing up my aproach angle. So i cut the metal down, drilled some holes and put the servo on top of the bulk head. My next problem was the motor hanging off the back the stadium truck way. so for a quick fix without having to make new link mouts i just unscrewed to motor mount plate and clocked it up. VII pics anyone

Next step aws to move the battery forward i just put it longways in between the chassis and it helped my climbing a lot better. i also mad a carbon fiber servo mount to move it back farther and made some steering rods out of nothing other than....coat hanger lol. also moved the shocks on the back to the outside of the towers, and made smaller towers lol, they were huge... So heres VIII

As you can imagine the chassis was annoying but it was still way more fun the the ST. So i started working on a tube chassis. Remember the object of the project was to be free. So i made a frame rail jig and started on welding coat hangers together. I though i would get done run it and they would bend up. But i,ve been beating the $h!t out of it and nothings broke
So i got most of the way done the first night. Forgot to mention im using a flux core welder. well here is a chassis progress pic. almost done with V.IV

Sorry for the background my sister was talking....lol

Mocking up the front because i ran out of welding wire

I finished welding it up at school and reassembled and ran it a couple times to work out the bugs. Those dirtpaws were my ST bashing tires and they will not hook up to rocks at all, so iput losi step pins on it and they hook up great! Surprised me of the 2wd capability So here it is before panels and good electronics locations...

So i made panels, added skidplates to the bottom of the chassis (kept gettin hung up) rewired it and here it is now on my little backyard course

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
cwbspooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Innovative. Got any vids of this thing in action?

-Brian
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DA6 View Post
Innovative. Got any vids of this thing in action?

-Brian
X2 We need to see some proof that a 2wd crawler is even worth the effort...
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Who's your Daddy-0!

Can we get some close ups of the welds? How is the coat hanger taking the abuse? We def need some video of it in action though Are you going to clean the welds up and powder coat it? What kind of speed are you getting out of it?
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Default 2WD No Thanks

I respect that you did the build, but 2WD just dont set right with me when it comes down to Rock Crawling.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #6

i knew everyone would be weary of the 2wd but its pretty capable. It side hills ok, is very predictable and will get over a lot of stuff i thought it wouldnt. Ill post a video when it quits raining in indy.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #7

are you planning to go to 4wd. if you are just add a tranny to the front axle
underagecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:57 AM   #8

Yeah, i plan on taking my xxx-t apart and using it next, but i need to make some knuckles and possibly new axles that will steer. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbspooky View Post
Yeah, i plan on taking my xxx-t apart and using it next, but i need to make some knuckles and possibly new axles that will steer. Anyone have any ideas?
my idea is really to not waste the time on the effort of the work and buy a set of TLT axles or something solid to use...
TBex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

this project looks like it has potential, i;ve yet to see a scale donk yet.
doomdog666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Nice project, it's real special.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Now granted I don't think you will see this at the NATS, but I think it's cool as he!! for bashing around and light rock racing.

And I applaud your effort and ingenuity for seeing a stadium truck and creating what you did. Great job.

It's even cooler that it was free. It's nothing to build a rig when you have the $$$ to throw at it. Keep up the fabricating, who knows what you will be creating later on...
KvilleKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote