Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My backyard spot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #1

Default My backyard spot

After seeing a lot of different methods on here and seeing what materials I had, I finally put together a crawl spot for the back yard. I used an upside down pond liner with some added on peices. It has some rocks glued on one side with a quickcrete layer. The rest is painted with a faux stone spray paint. All of the add ons can be removed and moved around as I made them all on a modular frame.

One obstacle was a complete disaster. The wall climb rocks all fell off and the truck just couldn't get going up it. Around it are some rocks I made from the quickcrete (they are hollow), some chunks that fell off the foundation of my house and should probably be repaired, and a few pavers I bought right after we got the trucks.

The big mountain is the typical foam over bottles with quickcrete layer on top. The concrete is chipping in a few places though.

The log wall isn't exactly what I planned, but I didn't want to buy any more materials. It actually is fun.

The videos show an old bike obstacle I had in the back yard that we added on temporarily just for fun.

In the end, I built this for my daughter. We both have Axial Scorpions (hers is the stock ARTR, mine has the Axial upgraded chassis) and she loves to play with it. I plan on adding to this just so we can spend more time together. She is awesome.

More vids if you follow my username on youtube.

Last edited by suchmuchfun; 05-17-2009 at 09:07 PM.
suchmuchfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
D-Wray 4 Prez!

I like the wood crawl on the back
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Nice

Good job of working with what you have. That kid has skills.:-P
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice job, trying to get my daughter to drive the crawler or slash but not too interested at the moment..
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool setup. Your daughter is better than most adults I let use my crawlers. Some people just can't figure out what proportional means.
thehopping1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #6

She gets better every time she drives. She sometimes gets a little throttle heavy, but when she can't make an obstacle she slows down. Her hardest thing is turning in reverse. She gets that backward, but so do I. I had to add some foam to the trigger so she could reverse with the same finger as well. She used to take her steering hand and use her thumb!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice job!

I'm getting ready to put a backyard course together, you guys posting your courses is giving me ideas, like using a pond liner.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #8

Keep an eye on craigslist for sale section. That liner is 2 pieces. The top is a splashdown section that I cut down. I paid $10 for both because the big one had a slight hole in it. I did reinforce the underside so it wouldn't buckle. Might put up some build pics later.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You can get them from Lowes at a reasonable price nowdays too..And if you can find any rail road ties they make asweome course building tools..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
You can get them from Lowes at a reasonable price nowdays too..And if you can find any rail road ties they make asweome course building tools..
If you mean the pond liners can be had from Lowes at reasonable prices, I disagree. This size liner at Lowes is between $200-300. Even the smaller one on top was between $50-75 for that size (depends on shape). That is why I started checking craigslist for ones with holes for cheap!

I am working on re-making the end obstacle where the climbing wall was. Something like the big hill but steeper.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

very cool , great ideas. I need to do something for me and the boy to play/pracitce/test on. Alot of great ideas on here.

TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #12

Well, I've updated the "spot".

My father in law had plans for a duck pond with an old cracked liner that was given to him, but once he saw what I was doing he knew that was the excuse he needed to not do the work. So, here is our new obstacle in progress.

The liner is bigger than the last one. So far I have only done the butterfly wall (remember, this is mostly for my 10yr old daugher) and the wire walk. Plans are to add some more of these type of fun obstacles and to coat climbing surfaces in truck bed liner.

Also added to the original "mountain" was this large fake rock. This is the frame from the failed climbing wall. I used empty bottles (cat litter comes in huge plastic containers, great for a base) plus styrofoam and spray expanding foam. (A neighbor bought a side table lamp apparently and I got some huge pieces of foam from their trash. I still have a large dome I plan to use later on top of the new mountain.)
After forming it all I sprayed it with latex spray pain to seal it, then coated the whole thing in bed liner. Only time will tell, but it seems very durable so far. Much bigger than I planned on doing, but I really like how it turned out.

We'll try to get some action videos later. In the mean time, comments or suggestions for obstacles on the new mountain are welcome.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Looks like alot of fun, all you need is a couple more and you will have a full course
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote