Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Trying to think outside the box...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Trying to think outside the box...

Would i be feasible to use an 1/8 scale buggy diff for a transmission? It looks like it would be fairly simple to mount a spur gear and it looks like you could us the brakes on the front and rear as digs.

The problem I see is that is a differential and may not send power to both the front and rear wheels, but with a heavy enough grease, I think this may not be a problem.

Maybe I could use a torque sensing diff or something like that.

Is this feasible?
Rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What tranny? Does it have a ball or planetary gear diff that could be locked?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
RCC Addict

you would have to lock it with some jb weld or something like that.
or i think that the ofna 1/8 scale dirt oval late modle has a locked diff or spool from the fact.

the only down fall is you will not get enuff gear reduction out of it for crawling.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Are you going to direct drive a shaft from the motor to the dif? So motor would mount sideways on the chassis plate?

Most difs are 3:1. So trans 3:1 x your difs at 3:1 would mean a 9:1 overall ratio to the wheels.
The Pinion and spur in most rigs multiplies this by another 6:1 (up to 9:1) for a overall ratio of 50:1 (up to 80:1) to the wheels.

You could use a gearhead motor with it that could get you to that ratio.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes it might work but it would be heavy and wide with the motor sticking out the side. If ya mounted the motor on top the diff/trans it would mess the cog. I get the idea of the spur mounted to the diff input and brakes on each output. I guess the question is why?
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Dig around the net for Kyosho Blizzard threads (snowcats). They have a solid axle, semi-open dif, and brakes on each axle end. It is how it steers.
Simular to what you are thinking about (turned 90deg).

I would like to do that with a lockable/unlockable (traxxas summit) dif on the rear of a crawler, in place of dig.
Power the outter wheel and lock the inner wheel of the direction you want to turn. (= 3 wheel drive DIG).
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Depends on if you're talking about the "diff" or the "center diff". By diff, I mean axle diff....center diff being the central "trans" in a 1:8 buggy.

If it's the center diff...then it could be possible since it will already have a spur gear...you'd only have to find the particular pitch (mod1 or mod2 usually) pinion gear that fits your motor shaft.

It would be no different than converting a nitro 1:8 to brushless. You may even be able to find a motor plate already available that fits to the central diff depending on which vehicle you're using as a donor.

There are a few that they make center diff lockers for....or you could do like already mentioned and just JB the diff gears to lock it up.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #8

The reason for my thinking on this was so that you could use the front and rear brakes on a center diff as a dig setup for a shafty and you could mount the motor down low on the chassis.

The more I think about it, the less I think it would work, if you locked the diff, then there would not be any way to use the brakes mounted on the diff as a dig setup. If you didn't lock the diff then the diff would likely just send power to whatever axle had the least resistence.

If there was a way to lock the diff when not using the brakes for dig, to send equal power to each axle, then unlock the center diff so yo could use a brake on one end or the other for dig, then it might work. You would need a diff that could be locked and unlocked remotely to do what I was thinking. Don't think there is such an animal in the r/c world.

Thanks for the input.
Rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauto13 View Post
If there was a way to lock the diff when not using the brakes for dig, to send equal power to each axle, then unlock the center diff so yo could use a brake on one end or the other for dig, then it might work. You would need a diff that could be locked and unlocked remotely to do what I was thinking. Don't think there is such an animal in the r/c world.

Thanks for the input.

Traxxas Summit Dif
Old 08-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #10

this might not be quite right but it might work.
Hong nor torsion diff. you would be able to use a brake as a digg but it is ideal for crawlers as it sends power to where the most grip is.

hop ive helped
customcrawlerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote