Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Why Delrin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Why Delrin?

I plan on making my own links, and I see how popular it is, but I was planning on going with stainless steel.

Definitely don't want aluminum because it is to sticky on the rocks, but is Delrin slicker than stainless?

Is it just a cost issue?
acrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Delrin is very slippery; especially compared to aluminum or stainless. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than stainless as well and easier to work with.

Not as strong though, which is why you see delrin links that have alot of extra beef like the Kamikaze Kustoms links or standard round links that are like 5/8" in diameter...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

5/8" I need to see a picture of this rig. 5/16" round solid Delrin makes a great link for a 2.2
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, stainless hollow rod for say revo links and threaded rod is like 8$ for 12" at ace/lhc (might be cheaper on the net etc)

Cutting, bending, drilling, and then tapping solid stainless is something I wouldnt want to experience.
I'd like to find say delrin thin enough to slide over my alum links. (haven't tried the BIC pen thing though)
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I prefer stainless actually. It doesn't seem to get as rough in any amount of time; I've been running the same ss links for almost a year and they haven't gotten any less slick on the rocks. The same can't be said for my delrin skidplate, I've had to sand it down a few times.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I just put a delrin skid on my stock Axial chassis and it's slick as snot. Slides 10X better than the stock plastic one.

Just got my R2J Kustoms 3/8" delrin links to use on my SWX. If they slide like the skid I will be a happy camper.
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I was planning on using the stainless rod with the 8-32 all thread.
acrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosteve View Post
I was planning on using the stainless rod with the 8-32 all thread.
Good comprimise between "slippery" and "strong". I like my Stainless lowers,they don't flex at all. I ran some Delrin lowers for a while but they just flex WAY to much on a 2.2 for my taste.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Delrin is cheap and easy to work with. I'm making SS links. Thought about making tool steel links and having them heat treated and nitrided too.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I run straight 1/4" Delrin lowers in front and bent 1/4" stainless lowers in back. The Delrin flexes too much in back for me. My rear links are about an inch longer than the fronts.
I also run a Lexan skid in the rear, so the links don't contact the rocks much.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

1/4" was fine on my comp 1.9 but I'd never run it as lowers on my 2.2

I'm running downtown's lower derlin links on my 2.2, Last links I will buy for it.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

It depends on the construction of the acetal link.

If you use solid acetal rod, then it needs to be a larger diameter material so it doesn't bend all over the place. This is why you see 5/16", 3/8", and even 7/16" acetal links...because they are more likely than not a solid rod. You couldn't get away with using 1/4" solid rod on any links longer than say 2 inches. It would just flex way too much. 5/16" is a MINIMUM if using solid rod.

On the other hand, if you use acetal tube, you can get away with a much smaller diameter. I use 1/4" diameter acetal tube for almost all my links. I run 8-32 or M4 all thread down the center of the tube (as a slip fit) end to end and then thread on the Revo ends. This gives me a small diameter link so it doesn't look so out of scale, but still allows for the slipperyness of the acetal as a coating. The threaded rod down the center stiffens up the smaller diameter acetal so that it's really strong.

Stainless is a bit more of a pain to work with and could be more expensive depending on where you source it. It is still a good choice for the rocks since it's a bit harder than standard mild steel and doesn't gouge much. Takes alot of abuse.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote