Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Waterproof ESC box - especially for us in the UK (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Waterproof ESC box - especially for us in the UK (pics)

Guys, I noticed a few comments in the video section regarding running thru water. I'm amazed that more people don't do this but anyway here in the UK it is almost mandatory as it rains 360 days a year......

OK you can get Mtroniks units which are fully waterproof but they aren't exactly great ESC's, rubbish brakes, half reverse and low current draw.

My solution for my Roosters and Super Roosters is below, on other cars I used to have to fit cooling fans with carefully ducted pipes to retain splashproofness but the 550 motor and reduction gearing means the ESC hardly gets warm let alone hot so it is fine in the sealed box.

I have run this for over an hour at a time with no overheating problems (admittedly in the cooler British climate!). The box is made from the packaging that a futaba RX comes in. It is bolted to the chassis from below. A rubber grommet seals around where the wires enter to keep the water out. The RX and ESC fit in here too which is nice. The lid snaps on quite tightly so I didn't even need to put a rubber band around it.

PS. The rather substantial roll bar is to protect the electronics box from damage in falls/roll overs etc. It works very well.

The following version is on another monster truck which does get hot so I added a cooling fan. This isn't fully waterproof but it is splashproof as although there are slots cut into the lid to allow the fan to extract air, the fan runs at 7500 rpm which tends to keep the water out!

MUD4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Waterproof ESC box - especially for us in the UK (pics)

Yeah I have done something simular. Works great.
CrawlinForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:20 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Mud...

what kind of boxes are you using..i like the clear box rather than those black "project boxes" you can get at radio shack...i'd consider doing this if i could find some clear cases lol
Krod_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have used a small Ziploc storage container in the past. Its clear, cheap, and worked good.
CrawlinForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Mud...

what kind of boxes are you using..i like the clear box rather than those black "project boxes" you can get at radio shack...i'd consider doing this if i could find some clear cases lol

Quote:
The box is made from the packaging that a futaba RX comes in. It is bolted to the chassis from below. A rubber grommet seals around where the wires enter to keep the water out. The RX and ESC fit in here too which is nice. The lid snaps on quite tightly so I didn't even need to put a rubber band around it.
I like the idea, I should make one since winter is coming.
NeoSlayer888 is offline   Reply With Quote