Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: bully vs berg..couple ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default bully vs berg..couple ?'s

so how does the bully steering compare to a berg(degree of steering)? and what is the width differance? have some hr moa's I was gonna use to build my 2010 comp rig,was about to sell them in favor of some bergs but now after looking into the bullys I'm thinking they're the way to go!! hmmmmm(scratching head)
929freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sup man....

It is a no brainer. Go with the Bully's. They are heavy, and bullet proof. Can't get the weight any lower.

If you order them, order the HD tube upgrade. There is some meat there and you won't need to worry about kingpins loosening up.

Hope to see ya at Motorama 2010!!!
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Just keep the HRs and fill them with berg stuff (ya could even make 300s fit). Keep the weight down. I'm under 5.5 lbs and very happy.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The new order bully axles come with the knuckle upgrade....so all you gotta do is loc tight all the screws and lube the gears and your rocking the beef!
Bully FTW
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have a set of Bully 2's and a set of the new Berg v2's. It really comes down to your driving style and what type of terrain you climb.

Here are my opinions on the attributes of each.

Bully 2 are very strong and heavy axles that tend to climb and descend very well but require quite a bit of horsepower due to the weight. They definately keep the traction on the ground. IMO these axles do not sidehill very well due to the weight always pulling the truck down the hill. They also sometimes make it hard to dig from horizontal to vertical due to the weight.

Berg V2's are also very strong and come with 5mm shafts. These are much lighter axles and are approx 5mm wider than a stock axial. They do very well on sidehills. IMO these axles require a ton of finesse when driving due to the fact that the axles weight are not keeping the truck as planted. This can be a very good thing if you know how to drive them.

I recently switched my chassis and electronics from the bully axles to the berg and went from 8 pounds 6 ounces to 5 pounds 4 ounces. There have been a few situations in which I miss the extra weight but overall I think my driving style is much cleaner with the bergs.

You really cannot go wrong either way they are both very nice.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

with the right foam and wheel combo you can over come any side hilling issues IMHO...my 8lb bully rig with the mayhem UCW's is a sidehilling SOB!

what ever one you choose it's gonna take tuning to get it to run right for each persons driving style.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You seen my bully's work. They do great!!! Any problems I have had in competing have been operator error not due to the rig!! As far as the wieght mine are lighter then some of the bergs in our club. Just depends on what you like a light rig or heavy rig.
RCROCIN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
MODERHATER™

I have the original BLACK Berg axles, a couple of the "norm" EnRoutes, V2 EnRoutes, and a set of Bullys, not sure which, I have to get many axle parts for them, the gears are looking rough as well.

I prefer EnRoute/Berg, they don't need much attention. The pins got weak in the later prodution axles, but it's not bad. Once you get cvd's they are unbreakable for the most part. The link/shock mounts are the easiest to work with on them, the Bully I have a hard time getting most chassis to work the way they have them set up.

Plus I have yet to see a winning Bully rig, lotsa Bergs though....
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I prefer EnRoute/Berg, they don't need much attention. The pins got weak in the later prodution axles, but it's not bad. Once you get cvd's they are unbreakable for the most part. The link/shock mounts are the easiest to work with on them, the Bully I have a hard time getting most chassis to work the way they have them set up.

Plus I have yet to see a winning Bully rig, lotsa Bergs though....
Hummm....the new Bullys need almost NO upgrades.

BTW, I didnt have an issue mounting my Bully axles to the Beetlejuice chassis...I even used the Kamikazi lower links...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
need almost NO upgrades.
Keyword, almost....
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

V2 bullys don't need any upgrades...they are shipped ready to rock.
my bully rig has a win under its belt...against some great drivers too
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Keyword, almost....
How many upgrades do berg axles need?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929freak View Post
so how does the bully steering compare to a berg(degree of steering)?
All of you bully fans seem to be ignoring this part of the first post....
So....what's the max degree of steering you can get out of the the bully's?
I've never seen any of them personally so I have no idea. The berg axles have the potential to get 50 degrees with $130 CVD's.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
All of you bully fans seem to be ignoring this part of the first post....
So....what's the max degree of steering you can get out of the the bully's?
I've never seen any of them personally so I have no idea. The berg axles have the potential to get 50 degrees with $130 CVD's.
You are correct, the stock steering is lacking, however, there seems to be potential for additional steering with a bit of dremmel work. I plan to try this out on mine. BTW, it should not require funding for $130 CVDs.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
You are correct, the stock steering is lacking, however, there seems to be potential for additional steering with a bit of dremmel work. I plan to try this out on mine. BTW, it should not require funding for $130 CVDs.
I keep hearing people say this, but I have yet to see anyone actually bust out a dremel and get at it. I'm very curious to see if indeed you will be able to get more steering and just how much.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Sorry....I've been quite busy lately....most of my freetime has been dedicated to practicing for Crawlapalooza.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I have ground the inside of my knuckles on my B1's, and have gained more steering from it. I have around 45* of steering now, and I didn't have to buy a $130.00 set of CVD's to do it. I didn't have to mod anything to bolt up a JP custom Hell storm chassi with Kamikaze links.

As far as going with a Bully or Berg. I would have to say get what ever you want. Both have there pros and cons. The Bully V2's are heavy and the Bergs seem to need a lot of money thrown at them to make them comp ready. Pic your poison.
dasmonkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I don't know the degree of turning...but I can smash my shocks with my tires as is...I don't think I could utilize anymore then stock steering on the bully? (plus when I need more I Dig)

both good axles...I feel the bully's come more "comp" ready right outta the box...built up bergs with super 300m shafts are great as well...but they are$$$$$
Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
I keep hearing people say this, but I have yet to see anyone actually bust out a dremel and get at it. I'm very curious to see if indeed you will be able to get more steering and just how much.
SUPER BULLY'S...Aaaaand begin!..
Old 10-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Just get them both like i did.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote