Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Clod Axles 2 Shaft Drive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Clod Axles 2 Shaft Drive?

Anyone Ever Tried this?I really Hate how The Clod Motors Stall out when ya need the Power.So I was thinking of making a Shafty out of them .I really like my TLT-10 But I want a Bigger scale Crawler also.and no one wants 2 by the Clod so I can buy the parts 2 biuld a shafty so...I came up with this.Any Imput?
Bigbadwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Clod Axles 2 Shaft Drive?

You could mount a center diff to the input. But it would be silly to do that, you'd be taking the advantages of a clod, and be making a really heavy shafty with TONS of parts to break.

Clods have the weight down low because of the motors, if you put a tranny and motors up there, you're ruining it. Not to mention it would be so much work that it would just be silly. And whatever reasons you like your clod would be ruined when you made it a shafty. It would just be a narrow, heavy shafty, with no ground clearance.

Lay off the pipe
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hey It was a Idea .No Shit the Clod has the Motors down low .Ive had this Clod for 11 years.It been a Crawler for the Last 5 .Dont be a Smart Ass!
Old 09-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about Bigbad, but roktoy turned out a really cool piece a while back...

Go Here for the pics!

I think this would be the perfect beginning of "dropped" axles for better diff clearance...
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

WOW! Thats Really Nice !I bet that would work really well with some TLT axels.I have a Couple new clod axles Im going 2 have to do that 2.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadwhitey
Hey It was a Idea .No Shit the Clod has the Motors down low .Ive had this Clod for 11 years.It been a Crawler for the Last 5 .Dont be a Smart Ass!
Thats why this is here, for smartass comments that mean no harm

EDIT: can you post the pics here? I'm not a member of that site, and I don't want to become one.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Beautiful work here. I believe he was contemplating a shafty rig with this as the center trans. With the clod trans you could get some pretty low gearing without too much extra hardware...
Old 09-30-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Hah! I thought of doing something JUST like that, only putting dogbones there and making an angled clod axle
Old 10-01-2004, 01:54 AM   #9
AFJ
Pebble Pounder

it looks sweet, what would be final gear ratio with clod axle?? How much would something like this cost??
AFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If ya dont have a Machine shop u can Just cut the plastic out puts and the axle 2 size.it would't cost anything but time.The Aluminum parts look Awesome tho. Hey everyones a Smart ass now and then.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:48 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

...I don't think it would be quite that easy.... I believe it would require 2 bearings on each side to keep the axle from wobbling. If you only have 1 per side then I'll bet your gears would get crunched... Easy way to test would be to remove your knuckles and the outer bearing and spin it with some side-to-side torque to see if you hear bad things inside the case...
Old 10-02-2004, 12:58 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Dude, what Roktoy built and what whitey are talking about are 2 different things.

The pictured clod contraption that Roktoy built is a TRANSMISSION. Not an axle. It's like a emaxx transmission, but built from a clod gearbox. You would still need front and rear axles/differentials.

What whitey wants to do is convert a stock clod axle to accept a drive shaft from a regular transmission instead of the axle mounted motor.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

You got it.I just have a few clod axles so I wanted to build something different.Maybe a Clod axle/Trans and Clod axles into Shaft drive.Or maybe I'll just Use e-maxx axles and the Clod Trans.Winters comming so...I got some time to Build.I allready have a TLT with a Blackfoot Gear box modified as the center Trans.Now I need a bigger scale Crawler.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #14
bendforthebone

that is so cool
badtodabone is offline   Reply With Quote