Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SUPER LOW GEAR MOD (dual cases)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SUPER LOW GEAR MOD (dual cases)

here are the pictures someone was requesting of project who-dey's dual case mod.

i used the black case from my parts truck for the front and rear axle. i couldnt figure out how to get the other white or tan case to work because they have diffrent size input gears on them.
also the screws that hold the whole motor together are too short so i used bread ties and tightened them really tight. and since its such a tight fit anyway, theres not a whole lot of room for it to move around anyway. so far i havent had any problems with it slipping.
you need to take a dremel and grind off the 4th screw mount, and all the ribs in between the louvers. and mine wouldnt fit without knothcing a hole in the side for the wires to go in at..... i ran the wire up and over the arm out of the way so it doesnt get snagged on anything.... so far its worked really well.

i really like still having my old low to use. sometimes its too low and i like wheel speed for some stuff....... so its nice to be able to switch back and forth......

cincinnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i took 2 short videos ill get posted here when i get home
Old 12-13-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
RCC Addict

you know that you didn't have to cut the end of the axles casing open. it would of fit. are you running those imex swamp dawgs on your nylint? i'm running some 2.2 imex g-hawgs and the low low gear pulls them like they were the little dinky nylint tires.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

yes those are 2.2's for my nylint.

and i didnt want to bend the tabs on the motor so i thought it would be easiest if i just cut a little hole on the side of the case.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I did this mod to my yesterday. It worked out good, and I didn't cut a big hole in the end of my axles. This thing climbs everything now. Its just super slow at doing it. I also don't notice any axle stall when climbing.

I also rigged a SCORPION body to use in place of my JEEP body while I'm doing some work to it.

I'll have to take some new pics and post them soon.

Later

Clark
SupermanWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

how did you end up holding the corner of the alxe case together where you had to cut out the screw hole?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

did my front/works great. slow & lots of power & control.

3 screws is plenty to hold it together.
now i have to tear into my new nylint & put my shaved housings in it & a tummy tuck.
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

How is this holding up for you? I am working on my rear axle, putting in a second case. I thought I remember you saying you were having troubles with your gears. I was wondering, since you had to cut all of the plastic under the motor, did that make your gearbox move around and mess things up? I mean, since you cut away the little plastic pieces that normally cradle the motor, did that mess up the alignment of the whole gearbox? I dont want to cause problems by cutting away all the supports.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

no, the problem i was having was the gears clicking. i need to glue them together. its not the lack of supports that was messing me up. since the housing cover fits so tightly when i put it all together the motor and gear case doesnt have a lot of room to move anyway. its the last case of my gearset...... thats why i had no problems running it in high gear that day.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I got the rear done. Now on to the front.

Your not having any clearance problems with the steering motor are you? It looks like it's in the way big time. Did you cut all the plastic away around the steering motor? That didn't mess anything up?
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote