Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Just another New Nylint, Steering mod too

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Just another New Nylint, Steering mod too, Remote mod

Told the GF (bought it for my early christmas) I would leave the chassis stock until i ran the first battery down. Its still stock pretty much...

Good ole stock Nylint flex

Noticed, as usual, that the steering arm mount on the knuckle has MAJOR flex.

Pulled the pin, drilled the arm and down through the stock hole to the bottom of the knuckle with a 11/64th drill bit, screwed in a 10-24x3 machine screw and wowza, it will turn with all the weight compressed on a front steer from lock to lock.

I also have about 1500 (guesstimate) bb's in each front tire and 500 in the rears. It will climb vertical and stand on the bumper without falling backwards.

A typical stair climb has it teetering on the belly...If i added more weight to them they would probably pull the rear off the ground, but it seems fine for now.

The tires are cut as shown in other posts, and I have added "wheel spacers"

The walmart wheels come with small plastic spacers, plus i added two #6 washers onto the hub and used a 4-7.0x20mm bolt to replace the factory screw due to the stock one being too short now. Outside tire width is now 14 5/8"

Still plenty of axle engagement into the wheel as i've had the belts slip hard front and rear and done many teeter toter stupid throw it in high to rock off an obstacle type assaults...

Edit:
I did the "accidental remote mod" but on purpose to eliminate self center, really helps out!

Just take apart the upper half of the remote (the handle is a seperate piece) and turn the wheel left/right and you'll see how the centering system works, loosen the screw on the side the spring is on and then remove the other screw, slide off the lever, and reassemble. Now it steers the direction the wheel is and stays there.

Also notice today heavy wheeling it that with the steering mod, now the tierod bows bad! To the point that the two tires are facing each other . Already have the front belt slipping too, some automotive belt dressing sprayed through the front vent seems to have fixed it for now.

Last edited by Mutt; 12-23-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #2

Looks good, I think I will try the bb thing. Also, do your tires work pretty good cut like that?
Mope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:03 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mope
Looks good, I think I will try the bb thing. Also, do your tires work pretty good cut like that?
The sidewalls flex like crazy without the extra side ribs on them, i do notice that now w/o a lug between on the carcass it will fold in easier, I think i am going to add another small slit to the remaining large tread bars as on a flat surface you notice the tire cup similar to an underinflated radial.

Other than that they bite hard on stuff and look more like a 1:1 set of boggers.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote