Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I have steering issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2005, 09:56 PM   #1

Default I have steering issues

I just got this jeep for christmas and noticed it had some issues from the start it didnt turn very good and the front wheels wobble quite a bit. But tonight it stopped turning to the left at all. What do i need to take apart in the front axle to see whats going on.
JeepTJLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

To check the steering all you need to do is remove the four screws that hold the body on so that you can work easily. Then locate the case at the front of the vehicle with the AGR sticker. There are three screws at the front of this case and 1 or 2 more at the top. Stand the vehicle on its rear and !carefully! pull the cover off. See if anything is (most likely the motor pinion) loose under the cover which is were all the steering components reside. Be careful not to dislodge the return spring as it will go careening across the room.

If the vehicle turns to one side but not the other it may be an electronics based issue though.
Papewayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Leaving the body on can make it a little easier to work with the truck on end, if you have a Jeep anyway.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:39 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yeah, it is convenient to just leave the body on and stand it up on the rear end while you work on the steering assembly. And the Scorpoin stands on either end well too

Be sure to check the pinion gear on the steering motor - I noticed mine wasn't steering very well to one side. I just drove it like that for a while, untill the steering completely gave out - I could hear the motor spinning, but there was no movement of the wheels. I opened it up, and it turns out the pinion worked it's way off the motor shaft. I pressed it back on, and I was back in business.

But of yours still turns to one side well, but not to the other side at all, you may have stripped some teeth on a gear. Did you, or do you now hear any grinding noise when you try to turn?
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Mine did the same thing so I took the front end apart and centered the knuckles and screwed the drag link on them that way and re-aligned the steering gear. Works fine now.
TJ_Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #6

Well whatever the steering issue was it seemed to dissapear but why do the front wheels have so much play in them i tightened them up and it was just a bit better. Is it possible i have some crappy hubs. By the way i havent had any grinding noises from the steering while its not turning.
JeepTJLover is offline   Reply With Quote