Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Scorpion Real Remote Control Winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 03:07 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation Scorpion Real Remote Control Winch

Here are some in work pictures of my winch on my Scorpion. (The doner was a 1/18 Jeep rear axle for the winch) I will be able to drive my rig and have my "spotter" work the winch from another contoller I finished fabricating the mount (unpainted) for the winch tonight and the battery pack mount. I still need to wire up the reciever and the motor, hopefully that will be completed within a couple of days. I still have stock flex and travel. When I am finished I will have a detailed list of what I did to get this project going. As for now here are some pictures. If you have any questions or plans of this sort let me know. I hope you all enjoy.

ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2005, 03:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That Shiz nit kicks some arss fo real. Sweet. How does it hold up? If it needs more power do a gear reduction. You could use the black box from the other axle. Let see a vid pulling the 1/6 up hill or something.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 12-26-2005 at 05:14 AM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Here's another idea. Take the handle off the 1/18th remote. Then take off the gauges off the top of the 1/6th's remote. Then wire the 1/18th battery wires to the 1/6 battery and mount the 1/18th to the top of the 1/6. One remote on battery.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

How does it pull? My buddy did this with one of those small non controlled 6 dollar rock crawlers from wally world. Granted it won't pull the 1:6 up anything, but if he hooks it to something and pulls the winch in, it is always enough to get him up and over things, the added downforce to the front tires helps. I wanted to do one, but one that would actually pull the thing up stuff.
MTUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yeah granted, it's not going to pull a 1:6 completely (You would need a 1:6 axle for that, even that would be a workout) It will assit me if I take a bad line. It will pull somewhat while I give the rig some throttle. It's mostly for keeping the vehicle from falling a$$ over nose. I will have video of it in action here in a couple of days. Don't forget it will be controlled by a seperate remote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #6

man thats such a good way of doin that,I was trying to figure out how I was going to make a winch...thanks for the great idiea..and aslo on that 6 dollar crawler?whats the deal with that?how is it and what did it come from?maybe I'll take a look at that route
toylxl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

http://www.toyzoneinc.com/productdet...kCrawlers.html They sell at walmart for like 6 bucks. He just removed the motor and gearbox, it all unscrews as one unit, and then mounted it in the front of his, and attatched some wire line. He soldered in longer wires for the switch and attached a battery pack. I will bug him for pics when we get back to school in 2 weeks if you are still interested. They are actually really torquey drivetrains, you should buy one, even if you don't decide to use it they are fun to play with. I have no clue how much torque the 1:18th scale has, but this one works too.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

themlittle xrms couldnt pull these suckers
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUJeeper
http://www.toyzoneinc.com/productdet...kCrawlers.html They sell at walmart for like 6 bucks. He just removed the motor and gearbox, it all unscrews as one unit, and then mounted it in the front of his, and attatched some wire line. He soldered in longer wires for the switch and attached a battery pack. I will bug him for pics when we get back to school in 2 weeks if you are still interested. They are actually really torquey drivetrains, you should buy one, even if you don't decide to use it they are fun to play with. I have no clue how much torque the 1:18th scale has, but this one works too.
The 1/18th would be a hell alot stronger then those. But they are worth the 6 bucks. I have all of them.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Very cool idea!

However me personally, if I was gonna invest the time, I would get something a little stronger. I have a hard time believing that's going to help out any at all...
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks?
themlittle xrms couldnt pull these suckers
Its not meant to pull it at all though, not under its own power at least. What it does do is if there is not enough weight on the front tires to pull itself up an obstacle and the rears don't have enough traction, it will pull enough to give the front tires some bite, usually it pulls it down into the rock it is trying to get up and it can get better traction with the front tires (instead of walking under itself and flipping). If you read, the 1:18th won't pull it either. This is just another option that is cheaper and that will work, I have seen it for myself. It will get up the obstacle before the motor stalls out.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU
Very cool idea!

However me personally, if I was gonna invest the time, I would get something a little stronger. I have a hard time believing that's going to help out any at all...

Better than nothing....Like I said, it's not going to pull the truck standing still. (The gears are so low on the truck is basically in park until you give it some juice. Try to pull your rig in any gear with some nylon, the sh!t won't budge!) I'll post some video on here as soon as it's done. It DOES help out. You know you want one
Old 12-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUJeeper
Its not meant to pull it at all though, not under its own power at least. What it does do is if there is not enough weight on the front tires to pull itself up an obstacle and the rears don't have enough traction, it will pull enough to give the front tires some bite, usually it pulls it down into the rock it is trying to get up and it can get better traction with the front tires (instead of walking under itself and flipping). If you read, the 1:18th won't pull it either. This is just another option that is cheaper and that will work, I have seen it for myself. It will get up the obstacle before the motor stalls out.

TTTHANK YOUU! This guy knows what I've been trying to explain.