Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Comp style nylint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Comp style nylint

Took a break from working on my big tuber today (see "newbie tuber thread" or something like that if interested in Gen4x4) and decided to improve upon my nylint for some little comps that me and a couple buds have been having around the house/in the garage.

I used a 5/16 rod to mimick the suspension on a Lull offroad forklift (got the idea driving by my job site) but it is exactly the same as the "stick" suspension used by the clods. And I can't stand rigs that are tall or have lots of uptravel (just preferance) so I built this thing as LOW and with no up/down travel. I dont have any body off pics, or pics of the underbody. I didnt think while I had the camera out. Next time I take the body off to finish the wiring I will snap some pics if yall want any.

Well here it is, what do yall think about it?

93yjpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #2

Thats awesome! I like it alot, wish i was clever enough to do some shirt like that.
Toyotamenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

very interesting nylint. how does it perform out on the rocks? and do you plan on running hobby grade electronics on it
nylintcrawler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the complements. It runs great on the rocks. The only problem I have is on severe undercuts there is too much weight on the front axle to pull the vehicle up it. But other than that it is extremely stable even with no shocks, because the axle cant drop away from the body. It can only rotate so the flex is good, but still stable as hell. I need to make something to keep the electonics in with something other than thread though.

And no I am not planning on putting any real electronics in this thing anytime soon. I am building two other rigs currently, just bought a truck and trying to buy a house as an investment during college...so this sucker is staying stock. I maybe have 55 bucks into it as this point. And this is buildup number 3 for it.

Leach

Last edited by 93yjpiece; 01-01-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

your probably smart puting the more important investments before real electronics.. you still got more into that i then i have into my nylint though
Old 01-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yea but at 55 bucks, I am still pleased to have something that out does several friends rigs with different wheelbases. And I can wheel inside on some dvds and stuff like that. And of the other two rigs Ill total over 500 and 300. So I am pleased.

Ill try to get some action pics up soon.

Leach
Old 01-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Pic of the underbody, sorry not great but I wasnt at the camera. It also drove into and out of that position. There is also a picture of my rig next to my buddys, who extended his wheelbase bic pen method. And is running no springs so it is over an inch lower than stock. All places I put the rig it stayed stable, so for a two hour build then go compete I am happy with it.

Leach

Old 01-01-2006, 11:07 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

that things is amazingly low...could you give a bit more detailed way of just how you got it that low. i think im gonna have to try and get my nylint this low to.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

very cool.......the 1:1 isnt lookin too bad either!
txjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

yeah i just noticed the wrangler...nice lookin jeep, you take it on the rocks to?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I just took a piece of 5/16 all thread and just cut out all of the stock plastic parts of the stock chassis so all that was left was the stock wiring and the axles.

I then took the allthread and set my wheelbase with nuts on either side of the axle holes and then had to find a way to mount the body. I was originally going to build a bracket from brakeline and nuts on the 5/16 allthread to build a platform. Instead I just drilled holes in the middle of the chassis at one of the lowest parts of the "cabin area" And I then cut off every little piece of plastic that hung down, and cut out stuff I didnt see that was functional. The battery is just held in with a rubber band and I had to cut the hood open to fit. I also had to clearance the hood and the rear of the Jeep to allow the tires to turn and even just sit level.

I will try to get more pictures if that doesnt help ya out. It is kinda hard to explain and it took a little bit of put the axle in, check, then trim. Once it got near comp time I didnt take as much care in the cuts, but at full turn and full stuff, they fit damn near perfect in there.

Hope that helps a little.

Leach
Old 01-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Yea the 1:1 is my buds. It is awaiting a set of 1 tons, airshox, and 40's. I got him into the whole "sport" so its good having a good friend across the street to have comps with and to lend a hand when needed.

I also have a Jeep but I need to take apart the motor cause it's done. Too many high rpm assualts on obstacles. I did have a set of 1 tons that were getting ready to go into it on a set of 39.5 iroks but am selling parts to fund a new truck Im buying tomorrow. Jeep dont run so I need something else.

I have been into wheeling for 5 years now and r/c stuff about 2-2.5 years. Just now have some time and money to build a couple rigs. I go through r/c vehicles like I do rigs though so I dont know how long I'll have this or keep it this way. Ive had the Jeep, Chevy CUCV from the army, and a ranger with dual cases, coilovers, etc. that I DD'd for awhile. And tomorrow I will add a TRD Tundra to that list.

Leach

Last edited by 93yjpiece; 01-01-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

i think that explained it pretty well. i have my nylint sitting right next to me and i am about to tear into it. i have all of tomarow to work on it so it should be done by then...
Old 01-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Sounds good, I will try to watch if ya have any questions about what I might have done. Goodluck.

Leach
Old 01-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylintcrawler13
yeah i just noticed the wrangler...nice lookin jeep, you take it on the rocks to?
ya the yellow tj in the back ground is mine along with the yellow nylint.... the tj sees a decent amount of rock action (notice the damage to the rocker )

as for the nylint.... since leach hacked his to hell it looks like im gonna have to do something to keep up...

plans are in the works... keeps an eye out for a new build up thread...

matt
got4-lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

so just wut are you planning on doing to top the comp nylint... i would say get it lower then his and add real electronics and some 2.2's
Old 01-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #17

nothin to crazy... chop it and keep the front clip and tube the rest... flat belly blah blah..

let me collect a few parts and in a few days it will be done... i really dont want to put a lot of money in this thing..
got4-lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #18

Nice looking Nylint, I like the ultra low stance
jcruiser70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the complements. It is very capable and I am definatly happy with it. Once I build two more larger chassis for a friend and myself, then I think I am going to do a tube chassis body for another one and try a couple electronic things to it.

I have seen some people say they have had problems with soldering and then the electronics mess up, can anyone confirm this or how to solve those problems? Thanks for any help.

Leach