Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: doing my tummy tuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default doing my tummy tuck

wow, this is a time consuming process!

finally got the belly cut off, now im gonna cut off the very bottom of the belly and glue it back to the chassis, for a more stock look, and because the metal i got for the skidplate is about as thick as 2 sheets of paper need some reinforcement

wish i had a digital camera so i could take pics, but i dont.
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

the very bottom wont fit, just use the metal, mines 22 gauge sheet metal, its plenty thick for a 20lb crawler...

Most real car floor boards are 22 guage
Brian, aka XJFanatic.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

well.......i dont even know what guage this is, its some metal "For Sale" signs i got at walmart for 97 cents each, i figured if they dont work i am only out 2 bucks...

why wont it fit though? i know im going to have to cut it in the middle, and put a piece or 2 of the sides in it, but toher than that, its the same width, and my ol buddy JB Weld will will fill in whats not fillable with plastic
Old 01-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

the front half is now in place and the JB Weld is drying. gotta wait a little while for it to dry, then do the back half of it, dont want to mess up whats already done.

i am going to put a solid layer of JB on the inside seam once its all done on the outside, then sand the outside down so the skidplate fits it nice and tight.

been a fun project so far, long and time consuming, but fun none-the-less.

am running the stock battery for now, but will eventually get one of the long skinny ones from walmart to replace it and drop the COG back down some.

i had to remove the interior so that the body had clearance, but i will put it back in once i get the new battery.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

front and rear sections are JB Welded in, now u gotta make the center piece, drill a few holes for safety wire (in case the JB decides to let loose, i dont want my battery and electronics dragging the rocks......)

then the actual tuck will be done, will be down to mounting the electonics and battery and making a skidplate.

was much easier than i thought it was going to be, and i now have 1.5 inches more clearance....... could have went for the full 2" like i wanted to, but couldn't have put the stock pieces back on to reinforce my thin skidplates. am also considering doing the rear axle mod where u move the motor to the outside of it, theres nothing left in my rear axle case anyways except the planetarys and motor since i took out all the high/low junk

but thats gonna have to wait a bit, done enough dremeling for one night

wonder what they would say at walmart if i tried to take it back now
Old 01-07-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

well, after messing with this thing for almost 10 hours thinking i was gonna be able to get by with laying the battery down for now, i think im stuck having to either run it standing up, or not be able to play with it for another week or two till i find a battery :(
Old 01-07-2006, 02:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have one question. What did you do that you can't run the factory battery? And where do you plan on running the F&F battery at? OK that was 2 questions.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:40 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

well, i plan to lay the F&F battery down in the bottom of the chassis, with foam around it, and some sort of retention device.....

cant run the stock battery, because, well, i cant come up with a good way to put the circuit boards without just having them laying in there free to bang around.....

am open to any ideas
Old 01-07-2006, 03:43 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

See how this one is done. Now were he has the boards. All you would have to do is cut some cardboard and hot glue them in there to sperate them. Glue them in there just like the metal piece he as in there. Then mount the plastic cover back in the stock location.

run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

im thinking about just running the battery normal for now, and mounting the electronics to the bottom side of the cover, then when i get a F&F battery redo it how i want to.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

am finishing up capping the bottom back off now, then i gotta make the skidplate.

this is definately not a project i recommend starting if your planning to go crawling in 30 minutes

am working on my 11th hour now, was planning to keep it as stock looking as possible, but screw that, function over form!
Old 01-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

skidplate is done, chassis is divided into 2 sections (one for battery, other for electronics)

am going to have to run the battery normal, will redo it when i get the smaller battery

still gotta figure out how to mount the electronics, but im on the home stretch now.....
Old 01-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

post up the pics and send me a e-amil when done ready to do mine now
Nylintjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

fair warning, pick up a F&F battery first :(
Old 01-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

why go to far with the tuck im only doin a 1" tuck to mine and i think i messed up my front springs i trimmed 2 coils off them and i think i streched one more than the other, truck sits a little side ways lol but just need to re stretch one side to level it out but made the front softer that helps ;)
Nylintjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

kewl, i finally figured out how to get the electronics in.....hotglue is my friend....hope it dont mess anything up.......

sure cant afford hobby grade electronics right now....lol

i THINK i ended up with about 1.5" TT after i put the bottom piece back on. if its not enough, i will redo it....i just want to be able to climb the stairs in front of my apartment, then i will be happy with my clearance
Old 01-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

well you can throw a big fat done stamp on this mod
Old 01-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedMini469
well you can throw a big fat done stamp on this mod
Glad it worked out!

Since Santa didn't bring you a Digi . . . you need to grab a buddy who has one and post up . . . . because as you know

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS . . .
The Lyin' King is offline   Reply With Quote