Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Silly scaler roll cage question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Silly scaler roll cage question

I have no way to do brazing whatsoever. No resources and no skill. I can however cut and epoxy things together just fine. One thing I am pondering, if I get that hard LR D90 body for my SCX10 to be, is cutting the roof off and putting a rollcage on it, with the obligatory external frame around the windshield.

Would this thing survive any abuse at all if I used 5ton epoxy on it instead of brazing? Please don't laugh.

My background is in RC scale boats and in sculpture so I know how to make things look good, not so much how to make them both look good and be durable. I can make some things durable but haven't had to do this before. I will of course be using steel rod of some sort for this project.

Thanks!
spacephrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Nvm: I'm not all the helpful.

Try the epoxy... I think you'll have to use quite a large gob of it to work though and that wouldnt be pretty.

Last edited by DunkinMcNut; 03-29-2010 at 10:58 PM.
DunkinMcNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #3

Interesting idea, not so funny as it sounds though. You could make a roll cage for the chassis and test its strength first and see the viability of it before doing the shell. would be good to see how well it worked
Bustedstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'd be very surprised if it worked. Brazing isn't that hard.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Microgoat is right, brazing is not that hard,and you can get a set up relatively cheap. However, if you just do not want to try it, I would think you would be better off to drill and tap your joints and use socket head screws rather than epoxy. One of the Timberwolf chassis is made that way, and so are the Axial plastic cages. It would be stronger and less messy than the epoxy, and if you wanted to make changes or replace parts, it could be done.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The object of the game is really to prevent fragile bits like the windshield from breaking off if the thing flips.

I just realized i have a chum who owns a metal shop. I wouldn't trust him more than i could throw him to braze the thing correctly for me since he is way better at casting metals like bronze but he could probably show me how to do it myself.

However all I really need is something that I can affix to the body itself that would protect the more sensitive detail bits.
spacephrawg is offline   Reply With Quote