Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shoe Goe Diff Lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shoe Goe Diff Lock

Now I know the general concensus around here is JB Weld it and forget it. I am waiting for the day where I see a Tamiya diff in a JB weld commercial.

But I decided to try something a little different. I've packed my diffs full of Goop, or Shoe Goe as it's sometimes otherwise known. It's a thick rubbery glue, sorta like silicone. I've had it in for about a week so far, and it seems to be holding together. The only reason I went with it, is cause I wanted to try something that might give a little if the tires were really bound up. Better that give a little than to snap an axle or round off a hex or something. I'll post an update if anything changes, but so far, so good.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I just Took out My JB Locked Front Diff and Put in a Play-doh front Lockr-limited slip.Works Awesome!! I packed it in real tight ,and It works as a locked exexpt under a heavy load then it will give. Try that.
Bigbadwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default rtv

i used rtv silicone and it bonds like rubber
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have been using clay from my body forming project.. I think its great.. No slop and still no issues yet.. Not that I see a need to ever unlock it but I can if I want to..

If I ever have problems I would JB it though..
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've used Shoe-goo for a lot of things, but never to lock a diff. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't thik it will give to easily though so you may still round out a hex or snap an axle. However it might provide a cushion so to speak, absorbing some of the shock load and preventing failure from that. We use torsion axles on our off-road racers that do basicly the same thing, save our diffs quite a bit of stress.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have used Goop in my Clod's diffs for 3 years now, and it works quite well. It does give some, but it really save driveline parts. The stuff does tear apart after a while, but it is well worth the protection of the other driveline parts IMO. I've only blown the rear diff twice and the front once in the time that I've used it.

-Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #7