Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed RC Maxstone 16 Unboxing,tips,video.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #1

Default Exceed RC Maxstone 16 Unboxing,tips,video.

Hello guy,

I just finally joined the forums earlyer, and thought id post some info up about this crawler since nobody has, and there are no videos anywhere becides mine. so here is an unboxing video i did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OSkxh6-Lk8

and hear is a video i did about some modifications. kind of outdated because i already did all of the mods i have mentioned. and even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELigY4sd6M0

and lastly, hear is a video of it in action. the crawler right now looks differant than in the video, and it crawls night n' day differance compared to the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWmaoXaWaI&NR=1

hear are some pictures.

Brand now out of box.

continued below...
MAXSTONECRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #2

Ok, as of now it has a Proline 1980 1:18 chevy blazer body on it. greased internals, foam removed from tires, and 8oz added to the front wheels. I Have also stoped the torque twist. and put threadlock on the universal joint screws. no more screws backing out.

body mounted

painting in progress.

done, and on the trail.

thats is for now. maby a TCS l-trail next.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

How is the center of gravity ..Looks all of your electronics and battery are mounted high....
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardetto View Post
How is the center of gravity ..Looks all of your electronics and battery are mounted high....
yeah, you are correct. it is pretty high. it dose "ok" for having everything at the current position. not to much i can do to lower it.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Looks like it suffers from serious torque twist. I've only seen a maxstone in the past and that too had a similar issue.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Wow, so that video posted in another thread with the ridiculous torque twist wasn't a fluke?
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcircus View Post
Wow, so that video posted in another thread with the ridiculous torque twist wasn't a fluke?

nope
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
jwo
Rock Crawler

i saw these on a site for like 90 bucks. sounds good. looks like mrc parts would work. its tempting. how do you like it? it looks like a carbon copy of the mrc. if so id get one.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

X3 on the torque twist ouch!!!. is there a way to lower the body a as well, it's sitting waaaaaaay too high.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

lol the TT is all fine now, got it under control.I thought the maxstone was the same size as the MRC. went to my local hobbytown usa and i was suprised that the MRC was a bit smaller. never realized it till i got this, and went back to hobby town to do part comparison.

Some parts will work, but it looks like it will apear smaller on the maxstone. whitch isnt really a bad thing IMO. the body is for the MRC so it dosent fit the maxstone 16 like a glove. so thats why the body is sitting so high for clearance.

Oh and did i mention that the servo is garbage! it "works" but just dosent put out like it should.

Last edited by MAXSTONECRAWLER; 05-07-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Really though, it's kind of asinine to release a product on the buying public that has that much torque twist to begin with. The other video I saw, the guy had his "dancing" by using forward and reverse in quick succession. I really thought it was a joke at first.

Not that I'd ever buy one, but what did you have to do to get the twist under control?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Really though, it's kind of asinine to release a product on the buying public that has that much torque twist to begin with. The other video I saw, the guy had his "dancing" by using forward and reverse in quick succession. I really thought it was a joke at first.

Not that I'd ever buy one, but what did you have to do to get the twist under control?
yeah, i saw that video of the maxstone 10, pretty funny actually. and yes, to release a product with that much of a problem sucks. but then you have to look at the pricetag for a maxstone 16. its only $84! sure your going to have to put TLC into it but we all end up doing it anyway.

basicly to control the torque twist for now, i had an old shock pack for a associated RC18. used the spring spacers on each shock. each shock has a wide, and thin spacer. then ontop of that i added a few drops of heavy wt oil to the existing. and it dose not limit anything becide the Torque twist. eventually some threaded aluminum shock will be put on.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Need I say more
Attached Images

Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
RCC Addict

to be honest, i don't really think the TT issue with these is an issue at all. ALL SHAFTY'S ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME TORQUE TWIST ISSUES!!!! let me repeat that again....

ALL SHAFTY'S ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME TORQUE TWIST ISSUES!!!!

really, i think all that would be needed to take care of that is some shock work. maybe a stiffer spring in the rear corner.....

i am more concerned about the durability of this set-up. this could be my ticket into a 1.9 comp rig....
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Simply adjusting springs & shock oil is just a band aid fix. To truly control torque twist on any shafty, proper suspension geometry is necessary. Link placement, angle, length etc., along with shock position are extremely important. Once you get that, then fine tune it with springs & oil.

Oh, and do something about the ridiculous amount of articulation. You're going to drive that thing into a bind and break parts otherwise.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXSTONECRAWLER View Post
and yes, to release a product with that much of a problem sucks. but then you have to look at the pricetag for a maxstone 16. its only $84!
True. The motor on my Losi cost that much. Just the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
to be honest, i don't really think the TT issue with these is an issue at all.
Huh? How can it not be an issue when the damn body hits the tires even when driving straight?

Quote:
ALL SHAFTY'S ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME TORQUE TWIST ISSUES!!!! let me repeat that again....

ALL SHAFTY'S ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME TORQUE TWIST ISSUES!!!!
Haven't driven a Losi Comp Crawler, have you? If there's torque twist, it's negligible.

Quote:
really, i think all that would be needed to take care of that is some shock work. maybe a stiffer spring in the rear corner.....
So....Why is that left to the consumer to fix? I'll say it again, it's asinine to release a product with such issues, regardless of how inexpensive.

I would think it's a bit more than that though, Evil_Twin is probably right about the geometry, etc.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #17

That body or its post's need to be lowered A LOT! it looks ridiculous
CrawlinFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Not to be to rude,the losi MRC was blessed with a fair amount of torque twist ,and too much articulation out of the box when new as well.

So at what ,a third of the price of a MRC,it cant be that bad.It then comes down to durability ,and how much you are willing to work on it to correct what issues the maxstone has.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

To expand on what vipxj wrote, in my opinion, the LCC is the only kit or rtr that was capable of comp use right out of the box. The AX10, the berg, the MRC, etc. all need extensive modification...if not replacement of parts to make them comp worth.

It's no different with this. However, this one hasn't shown a strong enough presence to gain the aftermarket support.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
Suck it up!

Did you buy that at Wal-mart?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exceed rc maxstone 16