Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I need a counter rotating gearbox for a shafty project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default I need a counter rotating gearbox for a shafty project.

Hi guys, been thinking about build a shafty and I would like to find a counter rotation gearbox for the truck. No reductions, just a simple 1:1 ratio, that gets the output shaft spinning the opposite way as the input shaft. Is there anything like this readily available, or parts to easily make my own without to much work? It would be great if I could buy one, that is used in some other, readily available RC model, but a well buoilt custom box would be good too.

Any advice is welcomed!
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

could u not just 0 time the motor and run that back wards? or do the out puts have to spin oposite the input?
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I think he is trying to counter act torque twist.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yes. The idea is to run the counter rotation gearbox after the output of a central transmission, so that I can counter some of the torque twist, which is an inherited characteristic of a shafty truck. Then flip one axle to keep them pulling the same direction. The counter rotational gearbox need only be on one output side of the main transmission. I know it won't totally eliminate the torque twist, but it will go a long ways torward helping reduce it!

So far the only readily available gearbox I have found is the RC4WD Killer transfer case. I really need to know how much power this t-case can handle. I'm talking high speed and either big brushless power, or a .28 nitro engine. Anyone ever push this t-case to the point of breakage?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'd try a Nitro forum perhaps. This site is going to get you more low speed and low end torque answers. (IMO)
What exactly are you trying to build?
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well, I've been kicking around the idea of building a nitro, straight axle monster truck, of some kind. Something for bashing around the yard for fun. I love the simple design of a straight axle monster truck, and the ease of working on one, as the chassis is basically a couple twin vertical plates, with a transmission in the center, and a set of 4 linked axles. I know the Kyosho Mad Force is still in production, and the old XTM X-Factors show up from time to time, but the X-Factor is out of production now. I'd love to do a TXT-1 nitro conversion, but I am pretty sure the TXT-1 axles will hot handle a .28 nitro engine. LOL But who knows? I guess I just want something different. I'm not crazy about the Kyosho Mad Force, at least not the way it is set up out of the box. I have a .28 powered Revo, but I feel like the big weakness with that set up is the engine mount. I don't think it can handle the torque and it will flex. I'd rather have a buggy style engine mount set up, where the engine slides sideways to adjust the mesh. Not rotated, like the Revo. Everytime I land on the roof, the engine mount moves and the mesh gets messd up. That and everyone has a Revo these days. I just feel like building a custom chassis for a straight axle monster truck, that is everything I want, but different. Say I used a Traxxas Revo two speed trans, an O.S. .28 XZ engine, and Kyosho Mad Force, or Tamiya TXT-1 axles, 4 linked, with an extended wheelbase, and some stiff shocks, but I know the truck will still suffer from torque twist, hence my idea to counter rotate the rear driveshaft and flip the axle.

Crazy idea, I know. Trust me, I love straight axle trucks and crawlers. Why not build a straight axle nitro basher, for when I want to go fast? Sometimes I get some wild ideas!

Last edited by Espeefan; 05-09-2010 at 07:47 PM.