Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: thinking bout RS-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default thinking bout RS-10

im thinking bout the rs-10 mainly for the price... i can't just go out and buy it, my fiance would have a cow. so i think my best bet would t put it on my b-day/ x-mas... do u guys think this is a good idea for my 1st 1/10 crawler? i already have a losi micro and love it... im just out looking for opinions. thanks
krono7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

It's pretty much a get-what-you-pay-for rig, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't crawl all that well at first. At least the aftermarket is starting to pick up for it, and a few guys are doing some better mods for them.
You should go to the RS-10 section and look through some builds, just to get more info to help your decision.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Yes! Its a great rig for the price. It is a good way to see if you want to stay with 2.2 or not without investing a lot of money!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well try to find a used crawler that might be better than the RS-10. I am not saying that the redcat is bad, but there are better out there. And even if it is very cheap, you could probably just get a used axial for more or less the same price...
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
jwo
Rock Crawler

it really depends on what you plan to do with it. out of the box its okay. servos are gonna go on it first. needs a tire upgrade big time. the stock motors are down on power due to their size, but there are some decent motors that can be bought. this is not a berg or bully. i own one, but i built mine from the axles up. there is tons of stuff you can do to improve it for cheap. mine is very capable, but the only thing that hasn't been modded are the gears. just check out the forum like gunnar said. every one in there is super nice so dont be afraid to ask questions. i would say its probably the best cheapest way to start with for an moa. its and entry level crawler. will surprise you, but dont expect it to do what other moa's will do.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys, put up some good advice... its gonna be hard convincing the fiance either way... since feb i got the traxxas stampede xl-5, then went brushless, then got the losi mcrc, and then i got a evader off craigslist just cuz it was $50 bucks and came with everything including a charger and 3 batteries
Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I got the rs10 and i love it. put some softies on it an it does fine
The tires that are oem are lil harder for my liking, so i threw a set of rock lizards for the time being an it does pretty darn good
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by krono7s View Post
thanks guys, put up some good advice... its gonna be hard convincing the fiance either way... since feb i got the traxxas stampede xl-5, then went brushless, then got the losi mcrc, and then i got a evader off craigslist just cuz it was $50 bucks and came with everything including a charger and 3 batteries

My 2cents: Grow a pair and tell that woman to shut the hell up ! No Im joking dont do that because getting slapped in the face with a stampede would suck . Seriously though dont jump the gun and buy because you see something cheep . When I first got into the hobby I bought everything I came across and ended up selling most of it to buy hopups and replacement parts . You may want to consider selling some stuff to invest in a better crawler . Thats not to say the RS-10 is not a good truck . But trust me your gonna need parts o plenty just to get it to perform like some of the bigger names . If your stuck on trying the MOA then go for it . Also you can look at the Exceed RC Mad Crawler . I dont have one myself so cant speek on reliability but I have seen some cool vids on youtube . Seems some of the parts are compatible with Axial according to a couple of the vids . Plus it runs 540s . Have you considered the Venom Creeper ? Its a shafty but you can get the kit for just over $100 . You can even run your traxxas electronics until you can afford better .
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Rofl!!! Yeah geting slapped in the face with a stampede might hurt... that was a good one! I'm not jumping into another crawler, I'm just thinking rs-10 that way I can tell the lil lady what I want and it would be easy for her to get... u should of heard the phone call when I asked her to stop by the LHS to pick up some some castor blocks and traxxas high current battery connectors. I think that pretty much blew out my chances of her actually going and trying to find and cough up the money for say an axial. She almost passed out when I bout the stampede. And when I got my micro crawler, I ordered a coach purse and thank god they came in the same day... but I'm not trying to keep doing that, she has enough stuff. Lol
Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Since you don't think she'll get it for you I'd go the used axial rout. I bought a nice roller on ebay for 120, a traxxas tq3 for 25, I did splurge on a used rooster crawler for 45, but you can find esc's for less. Look for batteries on sale, a 3000 mah sucker will give you 30-45 min. of run time. It took me a couple of months to put mine together but for under 200 bucks i got it moving. (Of course it literally only stayed stock for 2 weeks but thats another story!) I bet with the new axial moa coming out you'll start seeing the ax10's a dime a dozen soon!
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'll just add to what the other guys have said...for what it is, the rs10's are pretty capable and fun rig...but to go back to what was already said, don't expect them to perform on the caliber of a berg or bully. Ultimately, whether you buy a rs10, ax10, creeper, etc... you'll eventually upgrade parts of it to something better and will only be left with the axles and MAYBE the transmission/gearbox. So figure out if you want a MOA or a shafty...then go for what fits your budget. If you keep in mind that the rs10 is an entry level rig, I don't think you'll be disappointed...I've loved mine for the year I've owned it.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys for the input... now im just thinking of what i really want, and now i cant decide, so as of this very moment, thanks to all of u and recent experience i will find what i really want or just take it slow and build one from the ground up... thanks again, maybe i will just ask for a budget or get whomever would like to throw in for bday/xmas to just hand over some cash...