Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gotta Know

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Gotta Know

I wanted to get into rock crawling. At the beginning of '10, Axial's were backordered nearly everywhere, so I chose to build a Creeper instead. I have yet to have a successful run of a complete battery. All of which is thanks to the stupid gearbox.

Guess I am asking too much here, but what's the best bang for the buck for a non-competition crawler?
wheelchair2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Non comp rig. I no expert but i've got a comp ready axial. Out of the box you can't beat it. If you want a comp rig go berg. But all around rockcrawler I would go with axial, there are some some good hopup's that will make it pretty darn good. I realy dont know about what you got but I know nobody run's them at comp's. So I would go axial all the way!! By the way my axial comp rig is for sale CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!
easleycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

How far west in NC are you?
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

always could put in a axial trans into your creeper like i did...
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've seen a rig with an Axial Tranny at a comp and it crawled really well, compared to when it had a venom tranny. I've looked at some used creepers for my son, but I didn't like the tranny , but now I might get one for him and throw an axial in it.
Ghostkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Not to sales pitch, but getting a star and checking out the for sale section will save you tons of money in the long run. There are deals everyday on complete rigs as well as parts. Almost everyone here is great to deal with too, and most prices include shipping.

That being said, putting the AX10 trans in the creeper is OK, but getting a better rig in the long run will save you headaches.
A well built AX10 rig in the $800+ and up range generally goes for around 400-$500. Just the price of a set of axles and trans with a few spare/misc. parts are worth getting the star.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
How far west in NC are you?
Ever heard of Roan Mountain, Grandfather Mountain or Mount Mitchell? I'm located in the middle of this triangle.

I am also a Traxxas fan and have given much thought into bolting a Rustler gearbox into the Creeper. It would sit kind of like the Axial.
wheelchair2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i know theres some guys tat just have a thing for the Creeper,,they hate it and i just dont understand,,mine runs great,,crawls better than my Cast axle Bully did, except the Bully was unbeatable on overhangs and breakovers, you just cant fawk with 5.5 inches of ground clearance.

I hate seeing so many negativesa about a rig that has been really good for me. i comp mine and the only issue ive had is the metal yokes have slipped a couple of times,,but nothing major has broken or needed replacement since I built it,,although i did do my research and found ahead of time what the faults were with the design,,and built my rig with those parts replaced from the start. The stock tranny and axles have been flawless on mine.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelchair2 View Post
I am also a Traxxas fan and have given much thought into bolting a Rustler gearbox into the Creeper.
A Stampede, Rustler, Bandit, or Slash transmission (they're all the same) would be quite durable. In fact, before the Axial transmission came out, this would be the tranny of choice. I know I used to run em, and I saw numerous builds with them. Shewt, there was even a chassis based loosely around a pede trans (SW2)... If you can get one cheap, I personally would say go for it...

But, If buying an Axial transmission would be just as much coin, I'd recommend it over a Pede any day

Just my $0.02
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post

But, If buying an Axial transmission would be just as much coin, I'd recommend it over a Pede any day
X2!

For a shaft driven truck,you can't beat an Axial tranny. In stock form,they'll hold up to allot of abuse. I even ran a beefed up Axial tranny in a super for 2 seasons without any issues other than a few stripped spur gears.

Tranny kits can be had very cheap........ Axial Racing AX10 Locked Transmission Set
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
RCC Addict

One of my friends runs a creeper with a rc4wd R2 tranny and it works really well. I would recommend just getting a transmission, whether it be an axial, stampede, r2, or anything like that, over buying an entirely new rig. The creeper gets hated on quite a bit around here, but by seeing one crawl in person for around a year, and running it occasionally myself to check it out...I think they're pretty nice rigs.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote