Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: pics of homemade dig setups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default pics of homemade dig setups

Hey guys as we all know it seems you have to have dig to compete at all today, and well since I got laid off a week or so ago I've got time and not much money and so I want to build I rear did unit for my axial. So if you guys could post up pics of your setups id really appreciate it. Also I have access to lathes and mills at school if that helps... thanks guys
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I made somewhat of a dig for one of my trucks. I say some what because its not really a dig. I had this on one of them to disconnect the front drive shaft for some 2wd action, so it doesn't lock either axle it just disconnects one but maybe it will help you with some ideas. I don't have a lathe or mill, just some brake tubing, aluminum, and brazing materials.
This is based off ckrc's ft dig, heres the output for the trans:

The output for the trans and the shaft it mates to

the output installed in the trans

all the pieces

the assembled pieces

dig installed

Close up

I put this thing thru tons of abuse, I'd get stuck in 2wd and hold the throttle pinned and dump it into 4wd and it never failed
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

mascman did a nice write up with pics on how to use a stock plastic TLT knuckle with max shafts.

TLT Steering Knuckle as DIG Slider

it works relatively well. i used this anytime i i had to put a dig on a 'Pede tranny.

some notes on this method, though:

basically ANY Tamiya plastic 1/10 scale front 4WD knuckle will work for this. he just used a TLT knuckle, cause that is what he had available. when i did it, i used a dark impact knuckle, got the same result.

also, i would suggest finding a SOFT mini-t/rc-18t front shock spring and putting it on the AXLE side of the driveshaft between the knuckle and U-joint. this gets compressed when dig is engaged, and just a bit of a boost to help with re-engaging it.

and lastly, on the TRANNY side of the driveshaft, if you use maxx shafts, the male splines are different, one side is a pair of narrow splines, the other is a pair of wider splines. i recomend shaving about a 1/2 inch of the wider splines off from the end of the shaft. it will make it so your knuckle will always re-engage.

oh, and when you cut the 2 male shafts for this, the side that gets connected to the axle can just have a flat end on it, but the side that connects to the tranny should be tapered a bit. (surprisingly, a PENCIL SHARPENER makes a nice taper for this...)

and trust me, this set up works. it may not have a true lock on it, but i never really had any issues with it wanting to not pivot when i would have the dig engaged.

ok, phew, that was a long post.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
jwo
Rock Crawler

Dig build thread.

this is the one i made. i did not use the exact materials, but it worked very well for my application and is reliable. also very cheap to do as well.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

hmmm ok, thanks guys! how would you make one with a lock, freewheel, and 4wd?
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYUTAH View Post
hmmm ok, thanks guys! how would you make one with a lock, freewheel, and 4wd?
With the last one it is pretty easy. The idea behind "lock" is you want something that is *STRONG* that will lock the driveshaft out. Freewheel is pretty easy, the collar slides down just enough to let the drive shaft "not engage" and 4WD is real obvious, its engaged and going
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote