Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: what shock set up is this called

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default what shock set up is this called

im gunna try to explaine this when the shocks lay flat and the axles arent directly connected like on the revo or the summit and if i run that setup can i use shorter shocks and get the same flex
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I believe its cantelever setup. Better double check me on that.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley View Post
I believe its cantelever setup. Better double check me on that.
i think thats what he means...
dickwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

read his title.......he was asking what it was called. I don't know about the rest.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Im agreeing with you... I just meant its hard to decipher what hes explaining... Jeesh
dickwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

yes, cantilever. Not sure if I spelled it right though. You change the ratio by using longer or shorter arm lengths on one side or the other of the level /bellcranke.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

The Revo and Summit use a cantilever suspension setup. You can use shorter shocks to get the same or more travel, but it is a lot more complex as far as the ratio on the cantilevers.
Erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Cants are pretty easy to use,,,they require much less space for the same amount of performance, or more in some cases. Inline shocks have less slop and there for take more of the abuse that is transferred to the axle/frame on a Cant set up.

Cants,,are percentage of travel versus rotation or throw systems. the shorter arm toward the axle requires a longer shock but is much softer and can be set up for a slower response. longer arm toward the axe give a faster response from the shock,,faster rebound. My GX2/Bully 2 rig used a scissor/cantilever and worked great,,,Culetto used cantilevers on his bully rig too.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
RCC Addict

thanks a lot i am going to rebuild my JK and do a cantilever set up in the rear but im not going to use coilovers im going to use springs and have my shocks mounted else where if any one has pics of this set up please post them i have one pic in my offroad mag but thats it im going for somthing totally differant ill get some pics of my ideas up soon so you guys can give me some feed back thanks a lot
Old 06-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Something like this setup I used to run on "The Duke" Adam?

Come meet "The Duke"
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
RCC Addict

yah somthing like that but i was thinking about mounting both the shock and spring flat in the back of my truck thanks for the post
Old 06-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
RCC Addict

this is what im going for in a exploded view yes this is scale CAD what

1. is what will slide up and down the track to compress the spring

2. is the spring that will go in front of the slider and if u can find a spring that looks that good tell me ill buy it

3. is the box that the spring will lay in and there will be a slot in the bottom that the slider will slide through

4. is the piviting arm that will cause the slider to compress the spring when the axle cycles

Last edited by adamargue; 06-16-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
RCC Addict

what do u guys think any concerns or questions? any thing is help full
Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

if you need a good example, check out culetto's bully build

Culetto's 2010 Bully ''Candy''

i don't see any problems with it. i know speaking as a bully driver it's nice to be able to get the shocks up and away so that we can get a little more steering.
crawling hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #15
RCC Addict

hey thanks i never built anything like it its gunna be a scaler i realy like the look of it the springs are going to set in the bed of the jeep i want to run axial axles and tranny but i just moved to a new state 2 days ago and tring to settle in so it may be a little before i get some money to get some but thanks to everyone for the help any thing helps
thanks
Adam
Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Default new idea

well while pondering this pool side i decided to change the plan a little. instead of having the shocks and springs perpendicular to the axle i am going to mount them parelel to it (sorry my spelling sucks).

i will mount a piece of 3/16" break line to the frame with points on the end for the leaver to hinge from then on the break line there will be two pieces of 1/4" break line that will have tabs on top and the top of the leaver will mount to that tab and make it slide down the break line and make the spring compress. next to this will be the shocks that will be basically the same.

on the axle the truss will have a y shaped piece comming off each end as close to the axle c's as i can get them but still be inside the frame. those will hook the axle to the bottom of the leavers one side of the y will push the leaver hooked to the shock and the other will push the one on the spring.

now i am not sure what to do with the links i want to run a four link with a panhard bar cause i will run four wheel stearing should i triangulate the four link or run them parelel or is there something else i can do?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #17
PapaGriz Yo

In theory your plan sounds like it will work. It will be a challenge to make a slider/trough assembly that doesn't have too much friction but I'm sure it can be done.
So you are going to have one of these for each spring and one for each shock? You really dont neet the slider with the shocks, in fact that will just add an unnecesary constraint. But it's your design.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
RCC Addict

As my rig was brought up in this thread i figured i would jump in and share some advice with you....

GO FOR IT

Cantillevers are a great way to excersize your brain as below are the normal design steps:
1) set it up where you want it
2) make sure you have the travel and movement you want
3) make sure you can get the piston/spring/oil where you want it
4) start again at number 1 repeatedly

However its fun and the depth of tuning available to you is immense. Im building something new that is going to keep my cantilever theme going so im excited to see your progress.

Helpful hint: Start with parts that are already out there to get you in the ballpark before going off on a mad dremel rampage. Traxxas and Tamiya both use cantilevers in several of their rigs, buy them as spares and start simple so you know your idea will work, then change what you need to tune it how you like.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote