Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Which crawler is most versatile?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Which crawler is most versatile?

Hi.
I am going to purchase a crawler for my 8 yr old son. But with mine he gets bored with the slowness. I'm wanting a rig that can handle some speed, not tons. Lets say a "bashable crawler". Maybe something like a 19-21turn motor with a smallish pinion. He'll want to crawl it, make trail runs, hit a few jumps, mud bog, etc.

I was thinking maybe the SCX-10 or the AX10 RTR. But which do you think would be more durable, speed friendly, etc as a bashable crawler?
Thanks.

Jared
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Got Worms?

summit, or an axial if you go 2.2
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Summit's a great idea. Its a little spendy out of the box, plus, dual batteries, etc makes it way too pricey. Keep in mind this is for an 8 yr old. I'm primarily leaning toward an AX10 RTR or the SCX10 TR. Unless theres another rig anyone can recommend?
Again, specifically as a bashable Crawler...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

For an 8year old nylint,for for me an axial with a 2spd tranny.
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #5

I would say a summit is your best bet, I got mine a few days ago and I have flipped and crashed it many times only to find a few scratches.
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I would suggest one of the scx-10's if you think he'll like to mud bog, trail run, do a bit of crawling, and just bash around. One thing to consider is the RTR's come with plastic links...they might not hold up too well for jumping and the like. Personally, I would say go for a honcho kit and toss in some cheap-ish electronics.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Summits can be picked up used with batteries and in good condition for 350-375 shipped. I see them on other sites at that price range all the time.

On that note if he would be doing a lot of real crawling along with you, I would do an AX10 rock racer type rig. If he would be doing more trail running and mud boggin, then the SCX10 is the ticket.

If you want something that will be an okay basher and and an okay climber, get the summit. One major disadvantage to the summit especially for an 8 year old is that it is big and heavy, requires two battery packs, and is a pain to lug around.

If it was me personally, I would go with the SCX RTR and replace parts with better ones as he breaks them. The honcho RTR out of the box is a very capable truck.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

An axial is a great choice! They make great bashers/rock racers!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I would suggest the scx-10. The RTR ax10 is high and still a little slow for bashing, plus all the plastic. My son got one for X-mas and its was a flimsy little turd.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ok please determine if it is a choice just for the kid or for the kid and dad... If it is just for the kid the summit is the way to go... it is much more fun than a regular crawler. The SCX-10 is nice but it will become boaring soon.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default ...

Is it ever just for the kid?
Of course, I (DAD) will be playing with it a bit too.
I've been watching some videos on youtube of folks who've made their trucks a bit, or alot faster, and I'm leaning towards the SCX10. It seems like its more stable handling and cornering at higher speeds. LESS TIPSY is a good thing. Maybe thats because of the longer chassis and 1.9 tire/wheel combo as compared to the ax10. Seems like taller 2.2 tires roll during faster cornering. And I saw a few with crazy chassis twist under heavy throttle!

I can see why several of you recommended the Summit and I just think its way too huge, and, too much of an investment, because I'll want several pairs of high cap battery packs for good runtime.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I just got a Honcho and many are thrilled with them.
papaweely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I have a AX10 RTR with plastic links, and I have yet to break one. It has seen mulitple flights and a handful of tumbles too. If they do break, upgrade 'em. Fun rig to bash, that's all I do. Mud, water, dirt, its all good
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Ok please determine if it is a choice just for the kid or for the kid and dad... If it is just for the kid the summit is the way to go... it is much more fun than a regular crawler. The SCX-10 is nice but it will become boaring soon.
Seriously?

I have owned many different RC's inlcuding planes, tanks, trucks, cars, heli's, crawlers, and the SCX10 is the most fun of any of them.

The summit get's boring quick because you just drive over everything. The SCX10 presents challenges everywhere you go. I can have fun in a flower garden with mine.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Well I have the Honcho and the summit and I can say that they are so different that it is hard to compare them one to another. Anyhow with any of the two you can have fun for sure. One suggestion though. If you really want to have fun save some money for a second rig so you can go arround with your son and each one have a truck. It is the nicest thing...
BTW I have a 3 and 1/2 years old son and he drives my crawlers all arround the house. I hope that in a year tops I will be able to enjoy with him on the rocks.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
PapaGriz Yo

My 8yo loves his HPI Wheely King, he can crawl a little bit but he enjoys doing donuts, wheelies, and jumping just as much.

I just recommended the SCX-10 TR (Dingo) to a friend for his 6yo son and he loves it. The motor is fast enough to jump and do donuts but he can still do some crawling too. His son loves the lights too.

I'd recommend either one for a young kid.

A Summit is too much rig for an 8yo kid I think. He won't be able to control it very well at speed unless he already has alot of experience.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #17

Yeah, I'm thinking something more like a Stampede or a Slash... The Summit is ALOT of truck for a kid, unless he's already some kind of RC stud. We're getting my pals 5 year old started on Stampedes, he's pretty good already, but it's a nice cheap platform for him to get stupid on. Plus they're all kitted out with a decent ESC and 2.4 for under $200, so you can probably just pick up 2 and drive together.

If the kid/dad just wants to crawl, I'd say any of the Axial based RTRs like the Rock Racer are going to be just fine, just be ready to swap out the transmitters. They kinda suck!
Gunstar Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I think you missed the part where he said he wants to purchase a crawler. A stampede/slash is and will never be a crawler no matter what. While they are decent beginner trucks, they don't fit the bill.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default .

You know what, screw it. I'm just gonna buy both. I'll start with an SCX10 RTR. Having my boy and I run both together is a very good point so getting two will be a priority.

It seems like the longer wheel-base of the Honcho is the preferred version of the SCX10 based on what I've read...

I appreciate all the input. Theres very few hobby shops that have a demo model on hand so I just have to rely on feedback, video clips, etc...
So Thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #20
RCC Addict

The guys i run with on weekend crawls. 5 of them have scx10's i think they are awesome. I have a redcat rs10 an axial ax10 and i like them both. 2 of the guys have kids one has a axial ax10 (which hes 11) an the one lil boy has a vemon creeper and (hes 5 years old) and crawls with the best of us!!!!! Axial, redcat, vemon is the way to go, in my opinion stay away from the summit.. yes its a nice water proof truck but it doesnt go places like the rest of the scale an comp crawlers go, i mean it can but it doesnt work all that well like the rest does.

Sorry for my rant. just thought id put my 2 cents involved
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote