Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Berg or Bully

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Berg or Bully

I just ordered a set of Bully Axles and I supose it would have beem better to start this thread before I ordered them but I want to hear some opinions. Which axles do you prefer, the RC4WD Bully Lites or the Berg V2?
MikeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
RCC Addict

They are both good axles. Plenty of bully guys beat berg guys and vise versa. Since you already have them don't sweat it. Build your rig and hit the rocks. The guy with the bully axles that gets lots of practice will beat the guy with the fully built berg that doesn't practice every single time.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBike View Post
I just ordered a set of Bully Axles and I supose it would have beem better to start this thread before I ordered them but I want to hear some opinions. Which axles do you prefer, the RC4WD Bully Lites or the Berg V2?
I love it when folks ask what to get after they get something.
There are a few threads berg vs bully that have been beat to death. I run HRs so don't have a dog in the fight. All I know is all the guys around here that jumped on the bully wagon are running bergs now and I don't know of any bullys in the top ten anywhere around here. But bullys seem to be strong and cheap.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yea, I was a bit late thinking about putting up a post asking everyone what they prefer! Lol, Oh well, I have a buddy with the Bergs so I wanted to try something a bit different. I need to fight my way back to the middle of the pile s oat least a MOA "might" help.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have been looking into the bully vs berg axles as I'm getting a workout being the only sportsman rig in the comp class at the club I crawl with. So what little I have come up with is.
The bullys are pretty much built proof out of the box and arguably cheeper to "build up". The down side is they tend to be a bit heaver, can't be made to turn quite as sharp, and most of the aftermarket chassis are not set up for the link separation on the bullys. I guess the cases are bigger on the bullys. Parts can only be purchased from rc4wd.

The bergs are more expensive to buy and build. They are lighter and smaller tho. Parts can be had at hobby stores usually, and the biggest advantage is there are a lot more people running the bergs. It is easier it copy a berg platform that works instead of the typical trial and error of a bully platform.

Just what I have come up with on this sight. Feel free to add anything as I am still learning too.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
can't be made to turn quite as sharp, and most of the aftermarket chassis are not set up for the link separation on the bullys
Actually, the new CVDs have tons of steering....and yes, the cases are bigger, but the link setup can be done perfectly. I run a Beelejuice V3 chassis on my Bully and I have had no troubles so far...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
RCC Addict

In amature here there are bullys in the top ten, and in pro class here, the bullys are very good.

Drive the rig, and get practice so you know your rig.

Use what you have and compete, you'll be surprised, there are people with both bullys and bergs that cant drive.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Both are good. The one and only thing I can tell between the 2--the bergs are quieter

But I still prefer the bully's since you can bolt them up and go with zero internal upgrades.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I agree with Jester and JeremyH. Learning to drive your rig is key, no matter what you have. I just listed what I read here on the forum for pros and cons. I am leaning toward a set of bullys my self. The difference in steering from what I gathered is just a few degrees. Not and issue with most but I just stated the facts as I read them. I really can tell no major difference between the two that makes one dominate over the other. The differences are subtle and really a matter of choice. I don't think one is really BETTER than the other. Thanks for the info guys. Still learning....
Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The new V6 XVD's have almost 50 degree of steering, that is a ton! I have the Bully Lites on order so I hop they are good. A friend that has the Bergs mentioned that they are very heavy so I guess I will learn as I go. I see lots of menion of the 53 willy's mod to both axles to drop the servo down low and I plan on that mod already. I am going to have to run my existing chassis for a bit till I can afford a Beetlyjuice for it, or possible a JP Customs chassis. Not really sure what way to go yet. Any suggestions on motors? I am VERY interested in the Holmes Hobbies motors so far.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

any of the Handwound motors from the Vendors here are good. Rumor has it that a lot of them are made by the same manufacturer.
Holmes, JP, Fantom, Banzai, Brood, JPH, and Tekin handwounds are all good motors.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Rumor has it that a lot of them are made by the same manufacturer....Fantom...and Tekin handwounds...
Yep, those two are made by Fantom.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Yep, those two are made by Fantom.
and a couple more too
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
and a couple more too
I wouldnt doubt it.....but the ones that I listed above are not only made at the same place....they are the same motor.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I wouldnt doubt it.....but the ones that I listed above are not only made at the same place....they are the same motor.
Yup, you are correct sir! Tekin Handwounds are Fantom Blitz motors. JP and Holmes might also come from Fantom. I'm not positive on that but its been rumored. They make one HELL of a good motor.

Either way. Any of those motors would do the job.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Yeah....the guy at Fantom has told me that he sends his Blitzs to Tekin...not sure about the others though....
Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

He told me the same thing about a month ago too!! Must have been the same guy! Giving away trade secrets and such, he should be fired!! LOL!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah....the guy at Fantom has told me that he sends his Blitzs to Tekin...not sure about the others though....
The brush configuration on the blitz's motors are different than the HH and JR's.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I will be trying out the bullys myself as well. I run the teen brOOd motor in my shafty now and love it. Will be goin to eddieO for a matching second motor for the bullys. Rumor has it eddieO does JP motors. Cant prove it, just a rumor I heard.