Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Screwed RC 2.2uner proto light weight moa build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Screwed RC 2.2uner proto light weight moa build

Well, this isnt much of a buildup thread. Put it together in some spare time, and have drove it once successfully. Took 3rd with it yesterday at our ORCRC comp with only 15 mins of drive time on it. This is my design, that is still in beta mode.

As you can see, I had to cut some at the one on the left. The chassis is no narrow, that the lowers collided on up-travel. So that will be in the revision.

Next to the vanquish chassi

This is what I used to run with a tremendous amount of luck. Pretty light @ 5 lbs 3oz. Very front bias, with stiff foam. This work very well for me for along time.

Didn't have time to get pics before I trashed the new body, so you get muddy pics I have wanted to build a light weight rid for a while. This one weighs in at 4 lbs 11 oz. and thats with steel front tubes, that weigh 3oz more than stock(HR) and 4 oz of weight on the front wheels. Took some material from the axles to make it lighter, and help clearance. Made some custom wheels from Kyosho wheels, and adapted SLW hex's onto them. Running a much softer foam than I am used to. All the link geo seems good. Nice and soft suspension like I like. She drives well. I am going to try to lose another 3oz. More to come....

Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Got some new control goodness in the mail today! Thanks Gardetto!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I always like your outside of the box thinking and willingness to keep tuning stuff to your liking.

I have always liked "light" rigs in racing situations. I have tried a light crawler, but wanted some SS Panthers to use with it and could not get them at the time. I think with the correct tire, light weight can be an advantage where I used to crawl.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
I always like your outside of the box thinking and willingness to keep tuning stuff to your liking.

I have always liked "light" rigs in racing situations. I have tried a light crawler, but wanted some SS Panthers to use with it and could not get them at the time. I think with the correct tire, light weight can be an advantage where I used to crawl.

Thanks for the kind words man. I do love light trucks. The dis-advantages have not come close to out weighing the advantages at all. The only times I have problems from lack of weight, is on certain ledges. But I just mix the hell out of the little shit, and it usually makes it. But there are alot of other situations where the thing is so nimble, that it just scampers all over the place, and makes climbs with more ease.

I don't see why more people don't tune to their comfort level. I am surprised to see how many people tune to what other people say is correct. In the world of MOA, link geo rules don't seem to apply as aggressively. Thats why we can run longer upper links and still have a good handling truck. Both my front and rear uppers are as long or longer than the lowers. Works well for me.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Moderator Rule Breaker

You can drop some more weight by not running that brick of lipo.

There a thing as too light.

How many mah's do you use per course ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Hey Chris, you should post up a pic of your 325

That thing is a brick!

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
You can drop some more weight by not running that brick of lipo.

There a thing as too light.

How many mah's do you use per course ?

I know that. I have some smaller ones on order. But I like having a pack that will last for a whole comp. See to many people have to take repairs. Mah's really depends on the course. We run alot of different types. Right now I run 1300mah 4S .But I am going to go to an 800mah 4S. I do have a 325mah 4S 45C ThunderPower pack.

I still dont believe that there is such a thing that is too light. I won the LCQ @ WCC with a 5 lb 3 oz truck. She weighs in now at 4 lbs 11oz, and does very well.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
I know that. I have some smaller ones on order. But I like having a pack that will last for a whole comp. See to many people have to take repairs. Mah's really depends on the course. We run alot of different types. Right now I run 1300mah 4S .But I am going to go to an 800mah 4S. I do have a 325mah 4S 45C ThunderPower pack.

I still dont believe that there is such a thing that is too light. I won the LCQ @ WCC with a 5 lb 3 oz truck. She weighs in now at 4 lbs 11oz, and does very well.
I'm guessing most of the weight you took out was from switching to plastic wheels ?

Where else did you take out ?

How are you liking the 45t's with 4s ?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, the wheels shaved 8oz. Alot oddly came from the new body and trimming the axles(The front tunes are custom steel tubes). Even adding 4oz to the front for a more aggressive front weight bias, she is still light.

I love the 45t motors on 4S. I have been running 4S for a couple years, and haven't looked back. I honestly want to go to 5 or 6S if my ESC's could take it. But the 45t motors have been working well. Pry gunna pick up a pair of 35t motors soon. Or go down to 55t motors on 6S
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Moderator Rule Breaker

Your axles are HR's correct ?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yes, with way more money into, and through them than probably anyone who has owned a set. And I dont say that in the bragging kinda way They way they sit, I have 5 bills into them alone.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Well,

Since I got back from WCC, I seem to have been stuck in a rut. Our National qualifier, was a total fail. So I figured that it was time to take it back to the drawing board a little. She needed some maintenance, the axle steer killed, and I wanted to use my new camera(Still messing with). So I made some revisions that really needed to be done. Until SuperDave gets the new top secretness done, that I am not at liberty to disclose, she will have to do until I can swing the coolness.

Funds are far and few between as of late, so alot of this is mainly freshening up for our new season, starting in a month.

I had some massive axle steer issues that I didn't notice before. This geo is not final, but it has killed alot of the axle steer. Not sure how critical it is on an MOA, as the torque on the chassis role no longer applies. But this is how I have it set up now. Moved the lowers to the outside of the chassis. Had to make those goofy little plates, to keep me from getting hung up.

Finally got fancy, and made a little battery tray to throw the battery closer to the nose. This is where I used to run my electronics, but I figured that the battery had to weigh and oz. or 2 more, so the extra bias will be nice.

Made some dual stage foams and threw on some new shoes. The old ones were pretty clapped. So I figured she deserved em. I am going to try them as is, with no air holes. Using the Vanquish wheels again, until I decide what I wanna run for foam. Then I am going to probably go back to the plastic wheels.

I love the looks of this body. It doesn't have as much time on it as they generally do, so I just gave it a ghetto repair. It is better than the spur gear bushing I ran at Goldendale

And after many hours of cleaning stuff up, replacing nylocks, lubing the gears, replacing seized bearings, dicking around with the shock travel, and getting her dialed, I did what I know best. The electronics. Wasn't my cleanest job, but I figure since I haven't found what I wanna run, this will suffice.

Before: They were side by side, in the front skid. BEC and RX on top.

Now: A nice little brick of love(2 modded mamba micro pros and the BEC, all in 1 bundle). She drives well on my hobby room floor.

Thats all for now. I will comp her tomorrow. Hopefully it does well. I also have to weigh her and see how much more porky she is. More to come. Hopefully I will get the revised proto v2 chassi in soon....
Old 08-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
Yes, with way more money into, and through them than probably anyone who has owned a set. And I dont say that in the bragging kinda way They way they sit, I have 5 bills into them alone.
Your nuts. When I hit $500 into my hrs i realized i had a problem and sold em. The new chassis is looking good. I am patiently waiting here for a production version for next season. Keep up the good work and keep us posted Mr. Frontside
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

So I drove it tonight at out weekly comp. Drove pretty well, so it seems. Well enough to win. Had a chance to test out some new 1000mah 35C lipos, and they seem to have great power! So look for those soon.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Well I came home with this tonight. Wanted to start making some nice motors. So I will need this to start with.

And then I stumbled across this little bit of top secret motor goodness.... I have a suspicion that it will be the best of both worlds(Puller vs. 540 lathe). From my understanding, longer motors, naturally have more torque. And upon a little research, this looks to be about a 19t motor. So once I practice on some old burnt up Integys, and then I'll make a pair of these into 40t motors. This will make the 86 jeep style servo, fit with no problems........

More to come.

The comm out of the can. The shorter, larger diameter one, is the 540 lathe comm.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Not much new or exciting. Just got in a decent set of shocks(Thanks Tanis) Put longer rear uppers on. Then had to take a couple pics of the BULU sticker for Brett. Just threw down a nice chunk of a new Camera for the Womans B-day, and the pics are really nice!

More to come soon. I should have the V2.0 Beta chassis next week.....