Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Decided to Make my Own Complete Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Decided to Make my Own Complete Chassis

My complete chassis is going to be home built. I wanted to keep my stock battery because of the weight and the endurance of it. The Fast and Furious Battery only lasted @ 1 hour when I could get the stock battery to last a little over 2 hours. If anyone has any tips or advice.......look at the pics and tell me what I can do differently. I have never built a R/C car so this is my first and I am not a seasoned builder yet so you may have to break it down for me.

Thanks for looking. I will post my progress daily.

I am contemplating putting the battery in the dead center of the chassis and just mounting the boards in the bed under the cover. I have an old Honda wiring harness and I am thinking of using the connectors so I can quick disconnect the wiring from the chassis if I take the body off.

Here is the battery mounted as I wanted it. Now I am going to build the body mounts.

The hardest part I am having is where to locate the shocks for best articulation. I have limit straps I will be using also if I can just figure the best placement. I used mechanic wire to temporarily place shocks. I set the body on the chassis and the center of gravity is better (i think) because the weight is in the center of the chassis. I will have to put the body on an extreme diet though.

I tying the frame in on both ends to keep the frame from flexing and to give me a place to inboard shocks if I choose to.

Here is the chassis as of tonight. I put a little rake in it kinda like the monster trucks. It mounts still using the factory locks on the rear.

Here is the pic of the body mounted to the chassis. The battery is now level with the bottom of the body. The center of gravity is very good. Now I just have to mount the boards in the bed and I am back on my way.

Here is a pic of the chassis flexing out. Not too much but just enough.

Here is another pic of the chassis. Not as much as some but I think it will work.

Here is a poser shot of the axles flexing opposite of each other.

Here is another angle of the shot above. Poser shot.

Here is a pic of the Jeep balancing. The center of gravity is very low (for those of you who were wondering). At this point I can make it roll over by pulling it over but I should never hit any rocks this extreme. HOPE YALL LIKE !!!

Last edited by ford381stroker; 02-20-2006 at 09:11 PM.
ford381stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

it looks like an interesting start...but if the battery is going to go in the square aluminum area up top then it is going to have a tendency to be to top heavy
nylintcrawler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
[HOONIGAN]

looks like your off to a good start.
keep us updated.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

not to shabby it might be a little to top heavy and nice idea on the arms, but you are going to need to put limiting straps on so the axles wont pull up unde the rear like if you cut the tabs off the blue arms.i know run on sentence give me a break.
joecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yu should get some threaded rod and drill some holes in the frame. Then you've got a crossmember to mount shocks to.
scruff007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

finished the chassis tonight (i think).....I don't think it will ever be done. I decided to set it up much like the monster trucks with a little rake. I put on the limiting straps and all.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Nice progress

I wish Nylint would have made the chassis a 1/2 wider so the battery would lay down for an awesome cog.
icu_runnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I got out of the RC for a while. I am getting back into it again. Work is slowing down. Still working on the exo skeleton and beadlocks. Want to find a new steering setup. Want to do an axle tuck on the front and the rear. Will show step by step when I do it.