Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat RS10 or Super Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Redcat RS10 or Super Crawler

Hello all,

if you had to chose, which one would you get and why?

(I know they are considered "inferior" by many - please do not respond by saying "None - get instead brand xxx or model zzz")

Could you please give me your suggestions? (and I know that the price is different).

My objective is general bashing (backyard, rock, lawn, dirt, up / down stairs etc.) - not competing.

So important aspects are:
- durability (no extreme objectives)
- reasonable speed
- reasonable ability to climb (for example up some stairs)
- fun (for my 3 year old who likes to chase my RC vehicles)
- tips and tricks from other users ( I know many here have an RS10 - very few seem to have the 1/8 model. Why? )

Thank you all!
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Biggest question would be this: Do you want a BIG or smaller crawler? The 8th scale crawler is huge. It's size will allow it to crawl over larger objects (ie. stairs) than the RS10 can.

Neither of these are fast, and your 3y/o will easily be able to catch either of them.

The RS10 would be more durable, and ultimately has more aftermarket support should you want to modify it later on.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
Biggest question would be this: Do you want a BIG or smaller crawler? The 8th scale crawler is huge. It's size will allow it to crawl over larger objects (ie. stairs) than the RS10 can.

Neither of these are fast, and your 3y/o will easily be able to catch either of them.

The RS10 would be more durable, and ultimately has more aftermarket support should you want to modify it later on.
Good advice, thank you. So the RS10 is a no go for stairs then? (That was one of my ideas for "entertaining" my two kids - one is already chasing the other will soon). Of course I always could make a small ramp for the stairs... ( The stairs are definitely too big for my Losi 1/18 MRC)
Old 08-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

why did you settle on those two brands?
Kraqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
K_B
I wanna be Dave

In classic forum fashion, you ask about A & B, but I'm gonna recommend C. none of the above and mention the Axial SCX-10. Any time anybody mentions backyard bashing, I would recommend the SCX-10. It won't do stairs, but it crawls very well for what it is; probably just as well if not better than an RS10 and local parts support and aftermarket part support is probably better. I'm not sure what the price difference is, but it's still gotta be comparable to the 1/8 scale crawler.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I just think its weird that a guy comes asking for a someone unsupported model for bashing with his kids. Where there are comparably priced units with great support and that can be made capable should your children want to use it.

It’s like buying a pinto for your kids when you can have a Honda civic for the same price.
Kraqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
RCC Addict

go with the rs10 very durable ,never broke a part ,beat on it daily ,easy to mod and i climb stairs with it all the time. my 4 year old abuses it more than i do. everybody will put it down just read the rs10 section great rig for the price i broke down the axles last weekend and the gears look brand new ,just my thoughts on the 10
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i would say the rs-10. it will do just about anything you are asking. the super is HUGE, and when it comes to obstacles you will have to find large stuff to really challenge it and yourself. the super will walk up stairs, and really anything around a normal house. the rs-10 will do stairs, but it will take some driving (hence more fun)

there really is nothing compairable in price to the rs-10. most will say "buy an axial!" and this would be wise advise. they have better support, and parts are more common. problem is an axial ax-10 rtc will run you close to $100 more than the rs-10.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thank you all.

I will probably go for the RS10. The axial models sound very interesting: but I can find a new one RTR for well below $200? (I chose the Red Cat models for their excellent price/performance ratio)

Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetguy View Post
Thank you all.

I will probably go for the RS10. The axial models sound very interesting: but I can find a new one RTR for well below $200? (I chose the Red Cat models for their excellent price/performance ratio)

Thanks again.
Trying to stay under $200 is understandable, but, when you go with a cheap rig like the rs10, and yes I have experience with them, you will end up either getting out of the hobby fast because you think it sucks or spending alot of money trying to make it good. So I really suggest trying to save for a little while longer and getting a good rig to start off with like an axial or losi. Just my 2 cents.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
RCC Addict

redcat rs10................. tires servo's batwing delete and weights. Done IMHO
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRS10 View Post
redcat rs10................. tires servo's batwing delete and weights. Done IMHO
this
blindsnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #13

I just got an scx10 rtr trail honch and I'm shocked at the crawlability! Simply stunned. So I ordered the rs10 this morning for my girlfriend. I love the transmitter that comes with the rs-10. it has a steering button that allows you to switch from either 4ws to front wheel steer to rear wheel steer to lateral steer (not good with terminology yet). But yeah Its pretty amazing for being a $160 rtc. Also what sold me was the fact that it comes with a battery and charger.
4NDR3W_6THG3N is offline   Reply With Quote