Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Nitro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Nitro Crawler

Now I know they say "Nitros can't crawl" but what if there was a way to make it run off a small can of butane or propane like a forklift or some 1:1 crawlers do. Could that be possible over the next couple days I'm going to research this and update as I gather intel but feel free to help out as of now this is not a build thread but if it is possible it might be.
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I think it has more to do with the weight up high, clutch problems, no drag brake etc...etc...etc
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave-man View Post
I think it has more to do with the weight up high, clutch problems, no drag brake etc...etc...etc

this is true, it has nothing to do with the fuel, To high gear ratio. you can use gear redution but u still have the clutch problem. takes to much rpm to engage clutch all the way and trying to stay crawling slow you burn clutches
diamondbackrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

and if you are in one spot for too long it will get really smoky right there and nitro burns your eyes! bad! it might be cool to do though.
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nitro has been done. It's just too stinking annoying

See
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

It can and has been done, but it's really freaking annoying because it's so loud. Also the clutch causes problems and then you also run into problems with it loading up. E-power rules, and thanks to brushless and lipo it now rules the go-fast scene as well.
cbtu0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Another small thing that makes NITRO unpleasant for crawling is the oily nature of the exhaust. That oily "film" on the rocks cannot be good.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Ok so The clutch seems to be the only major problem I'm currently looking around the web for a way to go clutchless if at all possible
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

clutchless wont happen, the only way would be to have a torque converter and your not gonna be able to design one for an affordable price. imo the clutch isnt a big issue, a set of dynamite maxlife aluminum shoes with soft springs would work fine. the key is to gear it low enough so the rpm will come up quick and the clutch will lock. drag brake also isnt an issue, have the brake setup to be on when the motor is at idle. this would take some setup to get the timing between the brake releasing and the clutch locking, but its doable.

the biggest issue in my eyes is the weight of the motor, weight of the fuel tank, and cooling. a cooling fan is needed, however it is going to require more than a typical receiver pack to keep going for any amount of time.

im a hardcore nitro guy, dont run anything but, however a crawler is something best left to electric. not for the noise factor, or fuel, the only reason i say this is the low speed control needed and amount of torque at startup is something a nitro motor just cant do.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Got Worms?

The problem is all the nitro motors were made for speed not torque.

I have an idea what about a manual clutch, instead of centrifugal like they are now i nitro cars. This way you can have a nice slow rpm which will help keep temps down, noise down, and a more controllable low speed.

Once you get a clutch figured out that you can hook up to a servo then design a nitro motor made for torque not speed (I doubt one will be ever made)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

just the size of a nitro engine doesnt lend itself to torque. the best motor would be an old os fs26 4 stroke car engine, they make piles of torque compared to a 2 stroke. another thing would be a .32 axial with a carb restrictor, and a low end tuned pipe. as far as a manual clutch, i still dont think its needed. aluminum shoes with soft springs will work fine.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well I've found that the Revo's tranny is clutchless and that might be some thing. and if it helps the truck in mind is a genisus.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #13

I'm suprized Sharky was the only one to mension it. Smoke and noise, yeah....but the real issue is cooling. Gotta have some speed to keep cool. Same reason motor cycles are allowed to move to the front at a red light, to keep the air flowing over the engine. Trade in your butain experiments for some cooling experiments. And good luck
MojaveMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #14

it would be cool to have... but You arent going to reinvent the crawler. Electric is the way to go unless you are just bored and have money burning a hole in your pocket
NMB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

The biggest thing to think about is non af the above mentioned stuff...
its more about this,
your never gonn be able to be competative with it.

And i don't mean that you wont win any comps (which you wont)...
But rather that while all your buddies are enjoying a nice day of crawling you'll be adjusting fuel mixtures, playing with clutch settings and running to get more fuel constantly.
What you are basically asking for is to take all of the things that make crawling fun, rip them out of the equation and in their place stick frustration.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemancrawler View Post
Well I've found that the Revo's tranny is clutchless and that might be some thing. and if it helps the truck in mind is a genisus.
Thats because the clutch is on the engine. Every nitro engine I've ever seen is that way.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #17
On the lookout for Rocks

Yep...you have to have a clutch or the truck will never stop.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #18
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveMonster View Post
I'm suprized Sharky was the only one to mension it. Smoke and noise, yeah....but the real issue is cooling. Gotta have some speed to keep cool. Same reason motor cycles are allowed to move to the front at a red light, to keep the air flowing over the engine. Trade in your butain experiments for some cooling experiments. And good luck
Do some compressed air. Put a small air pump on it.

Also a fuel pump would be good too. And don't forget the alternator. Only way to make this work is to make it as idenical to 1:1 crawlers. So it would have to be a scaler.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave-man View Post
i have a nitro crawler and it goes up and over rocks like a charm. NO problems whats 'o' ever.
desertmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmaxx View Post
i have a nitro crawler and it goes up and over rocks like a charm. NO problems whats 'o' ever.
done any comps yet?
hende is offline   Reply With Quote