Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 2 years out of the game - how things have changed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2 years out of the game - how things have changed!

Its been 2 years since my last log on and have decided that its time to get back into it.
BUT - where do you start after all this time.
What was 'hot' is now old and out of date.
I dont even know whats considered good and what isnt these days.
When i left, i had just bought a Axial Scorpion - that was the hottest thing around in kit form

I do also have another crawler that i had been building for a couple of years previous to that, consisting of Clod axles (locked, CVD's etc) and some lame chassis that was an Aussie built "Champion" of its day (about 6 years ago) but i never found it to be that great.

So, the question that should not be asked:
What do i start looking at?
Always like the tube chassis but they arent really suited to Clod axles though.
Do i start from scratch, different axles (TXT or is there another item out there now?) new chassis, shocks etc?
Is the old (new release) Novak Rooster still up to the task?
Might need some new servos too, the old Ebay 24kg ones bit the dust long ago.
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Man spend some time here and do some reading. If ya want a real comp rig, the axial rx10 just came out and berg axles are what has been winning. Check out those sections. If ya want to bash/trail/fun crawl the axial ax10 is still the standard. For a scale kit lots of folks love the axial honcho.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default ...

IF you still have the axial, consider the Gatekeeper GC-3A Chassis & links kit from Duratrax. Its turnkey with the existing Axial, it will make the Axial do amazing things, and hang with todays other top rigs.

Some things havent changed. Axial AX-10 is still the most common, more aftermarket parts than you can imagine, and stupidly fun.

If you don't have the axial, the most capable out-of-box slow crawling performance in a RTR, I vote for the Losi Nightcrawler, but be warned, b/c of the worm gears, it is VERY SLOW. (about a fast walk) And making it go fast will burn stuff out, motors, speedos, gears, etc...

Oh, and for scale rigs, the SCX-10 by Axial.
Theres just no denying the awesomeness of Axial.

10 guys will tell you ten different things. Just have a long look around and smile at the many options out there!

J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke31+6 View Post

10 guys will tell you ten different things. Just have a long look around and smile at the many options out there!
Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far.
I do still have the Axial, havent got rid of anything, just put it into hibernation.
Im more than happy to hear 10 different opinions - give me a base to start with and something to go on.
There arent any Comps around here, there arent any other crawlers either - just me and my lonesome.
Would just be happy to have a capable all rounder that i can build and use.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If your just looking for fun keep the AX10 and go through and decide what mods interest you. It's still a good rig, just not a tip contender for comps anymore.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I reckon i might give the XR10 a crack.
At least it will be capable out of the box
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

I would give the AX-10 a shot and see how you like it.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

right this sport/hobby/addiction haha is abt as bad as electronics everything is always out-dated as fast as u can get the newest thing they always comin out with new stuff not that its bad cuz its SWEET!
foxposi_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
Tossin' Salad

I agree...stick with your ax10, check out the AX10 section, and see just how much stuff has come available. It is insane really.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway View Post
There arent any Comps around here, there arent any other crawlers either - just me and my lonesome.
Would just be happy to have a capable all rounder that i can build and use.
Hey DavWay,

Where in Aussie are you?

There are regular comps in NSW, and others around QLD and VIC.

Cheers,
Mike.
The CrAwLL BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
RCC Addict

the ax10 will work.. or a set of berg axles and a t1e chassy or xr10 with a t1e chassy

Last edited by lowridinjuggalo; 09-08-2010 at 07:57 AM.
lowridinjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Like everyone has so far said start with the AX-10 there is a lot of aftermarket parts for it you can do anything with it. If you wanna start fresh MOA it starting to take over so check out the Axial XR-10 your Build a Berg Crawler. If your looking to get into the SCALE WORLD well start with Axial SCX-10 but as far as scale goes the possibilities are never ending. If your not fond of Clod axles and you wanna build a super check out RC4WD Super Bully axles. And ya proceed with caution the above items I have listed are extremely addicting and with drain your bank account and make your wife FIGHT with you!
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Got Worms?

There is a tube chassis for the clod, its called a hustler i belive you can get one through rcp, i have one monted on a set of clod axles that has never left the shelf (no money to put the elecs in it) For a 2.2 i would say losi for a shafty (brushless setup would be best) or a rc4wd bully and or a xr10 for moa, from what i have seen the bullies are industructable but they are heavy. The losi has heat issues (get brushless and its better) but theres aftermarket to help that, and the xr10 is having issues in the rear axle. The axial xr10 is the new crawler on the block it was just released.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

My vote is to buy the xr-10 I know you don't comp but why not have the best fun that you can. The XR is extremely capable right out of the box. It's made by Axial so the support and product availability will be excellent. You could spend a bunch of money upgrading your AX10 or just start fresh and spend the same money on the new XR. I have an AX10 and a BERG MOA and once I finished my Berg the Axial just sits on the shelf. I still like it but the MOA is just so much more fun and more capable. I'd say get a Berg, which you could, but the XR has more potential and again....you can walk into your LHS and buy parts for it. The berg is pretty much online parts support only.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I agree with keeping the ax-10 you already have a very capable rig and you can experiment with what works for you. have fun
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #16

Im in the same boat you are, i just got back in the game after 2 years off. I have a well built ax10 that i got plenty of use out of but the xr10 was too tempting. Id say if budget permits build something new, thats half the fun of these things.
tattoo6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Having had a look around for the past week or 2, i thought about getting a Hustler for the Clod axles, but havent been able to find a supplier of a new kit.
Contacted RCP and havent got a response so i gave up on that idea.
Pity, a tuber was the next step i was going to take 2 years ago but other things distracted me.
As i mentioned, the chassis i have for the Clod axles is rubbish and the Hustler would have been great.

Anyway, i also got looking at the G-Made R1 and the XR-10.
2 completely different trucks so the decision is so much harder.
The R1 is just so well built and an 'all rounder' but not the greatest at crawling (from what ive read), but would be a damn fun RC to build and use!

The XR-10, well, do i really need to say anymore.....
There are a few quality issues that have come to attention though, the bearings for example and the several "must do" upgrades that are always mentioned.
I think the overall cost of the XR-10 would be greater than the R1, but the XR-10 has so much more aftermarket support than the R1.

So, not being able to decide which one to lay the cash on, last night i dug out the old AX-10, re did the electrics, pulled the foams (had to soak them in hot water as they were flat spotted from sitting for 2 years) and gave it all a bit of a clean up.

So later today, i will be heading out to re-ignite the lost passion which will hopefully help me choose which direction to take.

I think deep inside, i know the XR-10 is a better truck, but theres just something about the R1 that keep calling.
But then again, i always do things the hard way

Thanks guys