Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: what shock oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default what shock oil

I'm running integy msr11 88mm. I'm wanting to know what shock oil should I use? Any help is greatly appreciated
TrademarkJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Shock oil depends a lot on what truck you will be running. Give us a list of your setup to better determain what you should use.

Currently I am running an Axial SWX with Axial comp shocks. I am running Losi gold springs in the front with 35wt oil and Losi Grey on the left rear with 45wt and Losi white on the right rear with 40wt. I tried different combos until I found what worked best. I tried everything from 20wt to 60wt front and rear.

It all depends a lot to on the way you drive the truck. A general rule of thumb is the spring sets the ride height and the oil controls the dampening. I run my truck at a steady slow speed. The gold springs in the front let the front end sag some so the at ride height the skid is around 2 3/4 inches and at full droop the skid is around 3 inches. With lighter oil the suspension moved to fast and the truck tended to flop over very easily. By going to heavier oil the suspension reacts a little slower and the truck is easier to control at higher speeds. It was a lot of trial and error but my truck handles well and climbs well. I also am running a dual stage shock piston. It allows for faster compression and slower rebound which is oposite of what you would run in say a short course truck. This way the suspension does not unload as easily in climbs. The different spring rates and oil in the rear is due to torque twist. I believe suspention oil is one of the top things to consider when building a comp truck. Some will argue a 5wt difference in oil is not noticable but I disagree. I spent two months changing out oils to find the right setup. An moa rig is a completly different animal and when I go to an XR10 I am sure I will run a totally different setup.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm running t1e chassis with the standard cab with Berg v2 axles with vanquish dh pro comps up front with 3 weights in each wheel and slw v1 in the rear. High clearance lower links, straight titanium uppers, Sidewinder esc, castle because, punk dig, 1050 Mah 30c 3s rhino, airtronics servo. I hope this is what You wanted
TrademarkJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Most guys are running Losi gold springs. I would start with 30wt oil. If the trucks seams to floppy go heavier. Try the berg section. If you drive slow then a heavier oil would work better. If you drive faster lighter would be better.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote