Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: AX10 crawler great starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question AX10 crawler great starter?

Was wondering if an ax10 would bee a good starter of if I should get a RTR kit from like redcat or exceed to start off with?
barshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Go with the ax10 rtc its a great starter rig I've had one for a few months and love it
tmaxxdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Definitely the ax10 for a starter rig. With the RTC kit you have a ton of options and there are more after market parts for the Axial than you can shake a stick at.

Last edited by TXJeeper1; 10-07-2010 at 08:49 AM.
TXJeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

KK thanx for the quick replays guys i have one in mind it's used but looks ok

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...0-crawler.html

tell me wat you guys think
Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #5

i think any rig will be a good starter rig it just depends on if your more into the scale crawling or competition. i like more scale type stuff so i got a scx10.
tzenev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

AX-10 No doubt in my mind!

I started with an AX-10...
Owned 5 "other" crawlers of different brands, different scales, different models...
And ended up where I started, another AX-10!

Best Comp Rig = AX-10
Best Scale Rig = SCX-10
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Ok better question. How good is the ax10 RTR version? I have found one for 100 bucks but dunno about the motor and plastic links and stuff like that.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

The RTR is ok for backyard bashing, but you will want to do several upgrades fairly quickly if you want to do any serious crawling.

The motor is ok, but you'll wanna swap the 20t stock pinion for a 12-14t.

The plastic links again are ok, but they tend to flex. I'd recommend upgrading to aluminum or delrin links.

For $100, the RTR wouldn't be a bad place to start IMO.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Theres like so many choices i dunno where to start, I mean I want an awesome rig but i don't wanna build it...........yet. and i don't wanna fork out 300 bucks for something I may not get serious with lol. *Facesmash* TBH i'm thinking about going with the 1/10 exceed crawler or the rs10 rockslide, There cheap and fairly strong from what i hear/read. I dunno budget is my big issue though.

Last edited by barshots; 10-06-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Your going to end up at the $300+ mark over time, might as well get it over with. It's a great starter rig.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

im in the same situation i bought a micro crawler because it was cheap and all i can think now is how much i want a bigger crawler so im going with an axial used crawler i found in the forsale section. If you want a good cheap crawler thats the place but be ready to pay 200 to 250 for a crawler
geekfreek95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

That sounds like a good idea now but if I had bought an exceed or redcat and liked crawling as much as I do the lack of upgrade parts unless using parts from other vehicles would have had me buying an ax10 anyway. Regardless which one you buy there is the possibility things will break. The ax10 has easy to find parts and hopup parts are available to replace any stock part as well. They will all crawl rocks but IMO the axial would save you money and headaches in the long run. rtc not rtr, the parts needed to change the rtr into the rtc cost as much if not more than just buying the rtc from the start.
Bruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

IMO prolly gonna order the rs10 and make it or break it lol then i can really tweak it lol, I think half the fun of this hobby is customizing your equipment anyway and I'm all for that. Maybe this summer I'll grab a xr10 =) I love the way those look lol. Thank you all for your help and advice, I have really learned alot....so far lol
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #14

ax-10 would be a great start with all the upgrades out there its a winner and a great starter crawler.
v_dub1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barshots View Post
IMO prolly gonna order the rs10 and make it or break it lol then i can really tweak it lol, I think half the fun of this hobby is customizing your equipment anyway and I'm all for that. Maybe this summer I'll grab a xr10 =) I love the way those look lol. Thank you all for your help and advice, I have really learned alot....so far lol
The most important part is having fun, so go for it man!

Honestly though, I tried to get in on the cheap too, but in the long run it's cost me a lot more than had I started off by spending a few extra bucks.

The XR10 is a wicked rig - if I didnt love my shafty so much, I'd convert and get that one.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

If you are on a budget, stay away from the XR10 and go with the AX10, RTR. You can probably be happy with an AX10, at least for a little while, in it's stock form. The XR10 kit requires a lot more money to get it up and running. Especially if you go all out with dual ESCs. I hate to admit it, but I probably have $400 worth of parts, into my XR10, just to make the XR10 a runner. That doesn't incliude the price of the kit to begin with, or the radio (since I already have one). In this hobby, there is really no such thing as a $300 crawler! Unless you go shopping for used goods!
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I would go with the rtc axial, they are very inexpensive as far as crawlers go and the crawl very well to. If you hate crawling and i very highly doubt that will be the case you can always sell it. guys are always looking for those axles and trannys for there next project. Btw my friend got a rtc about a year ago and still loves it.
Slow Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Juss wished I could browse the WTS forums here. =/
Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

My first rig was the ax10 rtc but i paid full price for it and loved after of course i did a few mods easy and cheap imo.

First buy a aluminum upgrade kit ez and cheaper than buying it seperate!! Also change motor and pinion out buy a cheap $20-40 integy 50t motor and like 14t pinion slap that in and get a cc sidewinder esc and new steering servo and shamwooooooow you got yourself a decent rig i drove mine like stated above for 2 yrs and just now finally got a xr-10!!! hope this helps bud!!!
junior ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I looked very carefully at the various crawlers and rtc type machines. I bought a used AX10 but would have bought a new AX10 RTC if I had not found the used one.

A few years ago I built a crawler out of a Wheely King, it does very well for what it is but the AX10 simply does things a lot easier and more surely than the WK based build. I have driven an R1 and am getting a used one pretty soon, the portal axles give the axles more center clearence but do raise the center of gravity of the whole machine. The "new" AX10 has a lower CG than the WK build and has better tires and it's FXR esc is better than the stock WK esc because it has the kind of braking needed in crawling. All this makes a difference, especially the low CG and an esc with braking. Braking is needed to control descents, the WK just runs away and if I use the "braking" in it's esc then it shifts into reverse during the descent and this IS a bad thing.

If I had bought an AX10 RTC the first thing would be to get an esc with crawler type braking. The new esc would be a Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster, I love it's quiet mode. The second thing I'd do is put Rover white compound tires on the AX10 and cut the foams in the tires to make them comform to the terrain somewhat. Delrin lower links would probably be next because they are said to have less friction on rock than aluminum and they are stiffer than nylon. If memory serves the RTC motor is 55T and the gearing is low, so this motor and gearing is probably OK as it comes from the factory. One other thing: wire loops running side to side on top and bottom of the axle are a good idea. The loops pass through the "C's" on the end of the steering axle, tighten these loops to prevent the C's from being torqued off the ends of the axle. Without these wires the only thing holding the "C's" on are screws through the C's and the sidewalls of the plastic axle housing. Dig would be later as would be 4 wheel steering and a Futaba PMX to control that steering. I don't use the dig much on my AX10.

Last gasp, the AX10 is a truly amazing machine, it can go a lot of places where you would guess it couldn't. I drive on rocky trails, slick rock, rock ledges, dirt and dirt and rock hillside trails, etc. The AX10 does well on all these.

Find rocks, climb same.
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote