Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Active camber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
sim
Quarry Creeper

Default Active camber

Terranaut introduced me to Google Sketchup recently, so I've spent a few minutes playing with it. It's a bit rough and simple because I'm still new to the software.

Let me know what you guys think of this. Couldn't be bothered to draw the other side and the drivetrain but I think you get the idea. This is a BTA, so we're looking at the back side of the front axle. Or it could be the front, if you like, depending on which way you want the wheels to lean when turning.

Edit: Was sleepy and got my lefts and rights mixed up. We're looking at the front of the axles, if we want the rig to lean into the turn. If it's BTA, we're leaning away from the direction of the turn.

Last edited by sim; 10-11-2010 at 05:41 PM.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Tossin' Salad

The most obvious problem I see is that the servo horn would have to take a large amount of forces in many directions. This in turn will probably destroy that servo.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What are you trying to accomplish with this?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
20K Club

This has been done, and as long as you don't put it on the rear of a 2.2 you are fine. Search, road grader or something like that. A guy basically rotated the C's of and Axial axle on the rear of his rig. May give you some ideas. His idea was not legal in 2.2 FYI.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
RCC Addict

But on the front, active camber +steering would be legal. Go for it, but just letting you know, a normal servo will not handle this force. You will need to get creative.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I like the idea.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
sim
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
This has been done, and as long as you don't put it on the rear of a 2.2 you are fine. Search, road grader or something like that. A guy basically rotated the C's of and Axial axle on the rear of his rig. May give you some ideas. His idea was not legal in 2.2 FYI.
Thanks guys.

Thanks Harley. Found the thread. It's Road Grader Camber Setup w/ Pics.

Now I'm seeing that part in the rules about track width...

2.3.2 -
Vehicle track width is limited to a maximum of 12.5 inches. This is determined by measuring

the bottom of the outer most edge of the front and rear tires while the vehicle is sitting on level ground.

- The vehicle must run a course entirely with the same wheelbase, track width, ride height, and tires it started
that course with. Any changes to the vehicle (other than winching down the suspension or forced articulation) by

the driver, another person, or any device, while on the course are prohibited.

What do you guys think? It's a device, and it's neither winching down nor forced articulation and I do think the track width might change a little even though the tires are still roughly parallel.

Last edited by sim; 10-11-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
sim
Quarry Creeper

I just read this thread, which pretty much says it's illegal.
Measuring Track Width?

Although I don't think the track width, measured from outermost to outermost, would exceed 12.5", it would still change due to a device.

Oh well, it was an interesting brain fart. Kept me up all night too. :(
Old 10-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
sim
Quarry Creeper

Edit: clicked twice. oops

Last edited by sim; 10-11-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
sim
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
The most obvious problem I see is that the servo horn would have to take a large amount of forces in many directions. This in turn will probably destroy that servo.

Casey
In practice, the total amount that the tire can camber and steer would be limited by how much the universal driveshafts can turn, so we wouldn't be able to get the max amount of steering we normally get plus camber on top of that. I wish this wasn't the case, as I think it would be interesting to have both huge steering and active camber/camber control when the servo/servos are able to handle it.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

45 degrees of caster would do about the same thing.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
sim
Quarry Creeper

Default camber control

Old 10-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #13
sim
Quarry Creeper

Default onboard camber adjustment

Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #14
Tossin' Salad

You still have not answered the basic question...what is your goal for trying this?
It is an interresting theory, but I am having trouble understanding when and where this extra movement would be useful.

Casey
Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #15
sim
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
45 degrees of caster would do about the same thing.
Hmm, you're right. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #16
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

The idea would work, but since it's roughly the same as clocking C's back, I wouldn't see the benefit unless some big angles were involved. Most of the parts on the axle would have to be compact to provide the "leaning room" such a setup would need.

The easiest solution is clocking, 15-20 degrees helps steering a lot:

Camber would work better if the knuckles are moving in the same direction, I don't see much benefit if they are tilted in towards each other, except maybe for some increased grip.

Last edited by gunnar; 10-12-2010 at 12:44 AM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #17
sim
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
You still have not answered the basic question...what is your goal for trying this?
It is an interresting theory, but I am having trouble understanding when and where this extra movement would be useful.

Casey
You and me both. That's why I'm putting it out there to see if anyone else understands it better or has tried it. I'm considering experimenting with the idea but if it's been done, then I won't.

We've all been in situations where the crawler is straddling two rocks and ready to fall into the gap between them. I wished I had some negative camber then. My original thought was to have permanent negative camber in all four wheels, but then the front were always going to be a problem because the inner wheel would rub into the links and shocks with just a slight turn. So I thought about having 3 wheels with negative camber but 1 wheel with positive (to avoid the shocks and links), so came up with the first diagram. I should have realised that caster did the same thing, so that first diagram turned out to be a waste of time.

Since my brain wouldn't stop farting, I came up with the 2nd and 3rd diagram too. I don't know if there's a situation where you'd actually want to lean away from a turn, so that 2nd one might be a dumb idea too.

Last edited by sim; 10-12-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
RCC Addict

it would be interesting to see how this benefits side hilling!!! If you could lean the tires into the hill. Other than that I would forget all the gadgetry and clock my C's for the same effect.... oh wait, I already did!!!

Gunnar's has that gangsta lean to it in the pictures.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #19
sim
Quarry Creeper

gunnar,
Thanks for posting the pics. I never understood caster until today. Now I'm going to make some gunnar beef toobs and clock away
Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #20
Tossin' Salad

I am also starting to get interrested in getting some more positive caster on my rig...the only thing stopping me is my tie rod. I will have to design a new one.