Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New or used? I'm confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New or used? I'm confused

im looking for another crawler. i dont know weather to get a brand new crawler or a used? i mean you buy used and you get upgraded(usualy) for cheaper, BUT you risk having it not work and break after you just buy it. OR you buy new and know it works but you are stock and pay retail. its confusing.
desertmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I would definitely buy a used crawler. Just wait til you find a good one, they are in the classifieds everyday. You will be better off dollar wise.

And if you want new, buy new parts and put it together yourself.

Last edited by Szczerba; 10-11-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
I would definitely buy a used crawler. Just wait til you find a good one, they are in the classifieds everyday. You will be better off dollar wise.
X2

Just make sure you buy from a reputable seller, You can usually ask for detailed pics and normally you can tell how a person takes care of their stuff. save yourself the money and buy used, Heck, one day after you take a NEW crawler out on the rocks, its used! LOL! Let someone else break it in and find the weak links for ya.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #4

i have bought 2 used crawlers on here and haven't had any problems
36dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Buy one on here, it takes some time to find a good one. You can get RTR or different stages of finished.
hanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
cherry bomb

I bought a new one once, the 3 I have now were all used, and came upgraded like you said, and like been said, wait till you see a deal you like, or somthing you have to have, thats what i've done and havn't been let down yet.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I bought a handful of used rigs never had a problem.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

scale or comp.. used is the ticket IMO..

Both varieties cost a ton to build up with quality, and resale is a fraction of that cost on most setups. The few that hold more value, are still incredible steals for those with meatier budgets (Boyer scale builds come to mind at $1k+).

Either direction you are planning on going, either spend the money and buy a star to get into the classifieds sooner, or wait your 30 days out. If you do wait the 30 days out and research your intentions, you will find an easier time navigating the classifieds and getting as close as possible to exactly what you want.

~Kev
Darksiede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Try to Bend it

x16 for used.

Or find a build that you like take your time and buy all the parts for that build from the classifieds. Thats what I did with my first SSS.

Chassis, upgraded axles, trans with VP dig, esc, servo, dig servo.

The only things that were new on it were tires, wheels, motor and batteries.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Buy a new one... build it up... modify it with all the bells and whistles ..... then sell it to me a month later for nothing....
MOTORRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksiede View Post
scale or comp.. used is the ticket IMO..

Both varieties cost a ton to build up with quality, and resale is a fraction of that cost on most setups. The few that hold more value, are still incredible steals for those with meatier budgets (Boyer scale builds come to mind at $1k+).

Either direction you are planning on going, either spend the money and buy a star to get into the classifieds sooner, or wait your 30 days out. If you do wait the 30 days out and research your intentions, you will find an easier time navigating the classifieds and getting as close as possible to exactly what you want.

~Kev
It's funny, things look exactly the same when you're buying 1:1 cars.. unfortunately I approached it from the wrong end when I bought my real cars (All stock!)
sforsancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I was going to say the same thing i just started with crawlers got one used and never had any issues with it so best option go with a used one.
chromoly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Buy it used! Idk what it is but buying something off someone that has been put to use, always feels better then grabbing one off the shelf.

(that and I'm a cheap bastard, lol)
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Another vote for used! I have bought from here and ebay and haven't been stung yet. Just make sure you get good clear pics, and an accurate description. Don't be afraid to ask questions, if the seller is honest, he won't mind. Even if you find a component that needs to be replaced (esc, servo, motor, whatever), you are still a ton of $ ahead, and some times you even get extra parts thrown in to sell or put in another build.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I'll vote for "buy used under the proper circumstances". I personally don't like buying someone else's problems.

If you are dealing with someone reputable (if you deal here that will most likely be the case) and have either seen the rig in person or have seen a lot of clear digital images, and you like what you see, go for it.

The saying goes - "Caveat Emptor" - Latin for "Buyer Beware"...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #16

used is always a trust issue.but hell, were not talking 5000 grand fro a used and beat crawlerr.......we're talkin a few hundo.....

Last edited by monstaru-poki; 10-13-2010 at 07:55 AM.
monstaru-poki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

i say used as well i have 5 crawlers bought them all used from ebay and craigslist. luckily haven't had any problems yet...plus i always get extra parts, and thats never bad.
brandon f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I vote used as well.
Never bought a used crawler before but someones unfinished project can save you a ton of cash.
I just picked up a 90% built Berg thats all brand new but tires for less than half of what the seller paid and it comes with extras plus parts to complete it to be BND.
Theres deals out there you've just gotta look around and be patient till the rite one comes along.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
I bought a handful of used rigs never had a problem.
yeah i can see that by your avatar
desertmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Another vote for used! I bought mine used and it was worth every penny based on the upgrades. A couple buddies bought them used and they were even better deals even though there was a surprise on one of them that it had a broken axle housing!
73bronco is offline   Reply With Quote