Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Giant scale crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Giant scale crawler

Has anyone ever tried to build what would equate to a giant scale rc crawler....something with a wheelbase of around 3' with go cart tires?????? I ask because I have been kicking some ideas back and forth, I almost think I could build a larger one cheaper than I built my maxx base one.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

it might be cheap to build the frame and that stuff but the motor will have to be huge and the servos would be huge and need a massive speed control so those will cost alot!
rockcrawler_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The Controls will cost a good ammount, but when you get down to it, it probably won't be too much more expensive than a 1/10 comp crawler.

Heh, Car batteries.
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have thought about that actually, when you start thinking big like Im talking I think you would stop thinking in terms of servo's and speed controls and start thinking of window motors and switches, afterall most of the time you go almost lock to lock on the steering and speed doesnt need to be as precise since your planning to go slow anyway....just a thought I would realy like idea's because Im seriously considering trying it (if nothing else it would be a good rc driveway plow)
Old 03-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ive thought about it to. Windshield wiper motors would be very usefull because they put out huge amounts of torque and turn fairly slow, should work well for steering and there 12$ a peice on e bay. I use them to power my 1/6 scale tank.

fabing axles is a bit on the complicated side if you were to have it be a shafty. I would have motors on the axles clod style(windshield wiper motors would also be excelent for this)powering a shaft then using small u joints u can buy or fab yourself ... heims for the steering nuckles....so many ideas in my head gona have to try it now.lol thanks alot, another money hole.
sambmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

what about using a 23cc zenoah engine or something along the line of cc and use 1/4 scale servos then get axles out of a 1/4 sprint that is a solid axle and then all you have to do is mess with the clutch to get it to grab really well
mudslinger74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Plenty of people have built them.

They call it a Suzuki Samurai!

Seriously though, it would be cool.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You guys haven't thought that much about it.
Buy a electric scooter from $90 and up. You get speed controller, batteries, charger, and motor all in one buy,
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

briggs 5hp.......
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Yea I thought about tearing the Tecumseh 3hp out of my snowblower and making a giant scale go-fast truck, but a crawler would be much harder to make work.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
Yea I thought about tearing the Tecumseh 3hp out of my snowblower and making a giant scale go-fast truck, but a crawler would be much harder to make work.
Snow blower engine wouldn't work they don't have enough cooling fins. They get hot and sieze up.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
Plenty of people have built them.

They call it a Suzuki Samurai!

Seriously though, it would be cool.

So true lol!

It would definately take some ingenuity, that's for sure. I think you'd have to stop thinking in terms of what normally works for the general RC build and come up with mostly your own ideas. The windshield motor idea sounds like a good one but whoever was talking about 1/4 scale servos was definately on the wrong page. Unless you spend hundreds of dollars on a 1/4 scale with 1k's of oz. of tq you're waisting your time. A standard CS80 or the like is not going to even think about moving something that heavy.

And that's the other thing to take into consideration, wieght. I gotta believe something like this would way 50+lbs easy depending on materials and how complex you make it. You would need to compensate in the power/gearing/steering department for the wieght.

But I think it would be cool and would like to see one done...

...so someone else do it!
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82
Snow blower engine wouldn't work they don't have enough cooling fins. They get hot and sieze up.

It would work for a go-fast truck, air cooled.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You could also put some sort of active air mover (fan) on those fins I would think. Especially if you're talking about doing a car battery for something like that.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Just do like I did buy a junker power wheels car, the motor and rear axle and battery, will haul kids and it's slow, stick a car battery on that sucker and it will freaking move. Makes the perfect base to start from. I used quadrunner tires, fabbed up a frame with tubing, made a 4 link, used shocks off an old dirt bike I made the steering like it is on a go kart, got alot of parts from a motorcycle grave yard, and from a go cart site on the net.

Check here for ideas:
http://atvplans.com/

Oh just for reference, to steer it use a small sprocket on the steering column and a chain hooked to a wiper motor, a small servo can activate the left or right switch, or if you hook the servo to spin a potentiometer you can have proportional steering, which by the way works better. I started the whole project just to drive me niece around the yard, lol. And you all know how projects are, they can never be left alone.

Last edited by BrockGrimes; 03-08-2006 at 07:00 PM.
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

using a servo to spin a pot, thats the piece I couldnt figure out, great thinking!

So far Im still in the design phase but it sounds to me like several people have taken it much farther. What I was planning was go-cart axles with the motors right on the axles. 3 link suspension front and rear with a chassis that would resemble what I used on my max, except made out of 1" box channel, the things I have been having trouble figureing out is a good reliable front axle (that could be built cheap enough) and a good motor speed control. I have places like American Science and Surplus,Farm and Fleet, junkyards and the piles of broken things at my farm all at my disposal. Please keep shooting me some idea's, who knows maybe we can start a new trend
Old 03-09-2006, 07:05 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Not mine.
Check out this 1:6 crawler

Have you considered trying to find axles from a 4x4 4wheeler.
If you have an ATV/motorcycle junkyard anywhere near you, it may be worth looking at for ideas.

Last edited by thebigJAT; 03-09-2006 at 07:10 AM.
thebigJAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
briggs 5hp.......
Yep. Or something 4 stroke. Maybe do something crazy like an actuator mounted to the axle and tie rod like a hydraulic ram...Two big wires going to it like hydraulic lines, and put the rest of the controls in the chassis. Maybe Fox or someone makes really soft coilovers, like for snowmobiles. Some guys around here made 4-link'd, coilovered, flat fender willy's wagons for their kids. They're pretty cool. There is a company that makes scale power wheels type flatties for kids to drive, maybe just get one of those and modify it to be RC. I'll go see what I can find for ya; if anything you can get ideas.
rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #19