Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Anyone do a radius arm setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Anyone do a radius arm setup?

I'm looking to replicate a 1:1 for my trail truck build. It's a 78 series Land Cruiser. Check them out here

http://www.brian894x4.com/LC78main.html

I'm going to go for a leaf sprung rear and coiled front with a radius arm and panhard.

Or will this be too much trouble? Should I just go with a 4 link?

Keep in mind this will be designed for running trails, NOT rock crawling, so massive articulation and ground clearance are not top priority. I'll be running TLT axles by the way.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i would normally say its to much trouble, but for something new, i say try it. it will be more work then a 4link, but it will look more custom.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
varcor.org

I was thinking of doing Rubicon Express LA style which is similar to a Ford style setup but couldn't figure out the trackbar/panhard setup without building my own frame. The Toyota style would be a little harder to do since the arm runs underneath the axles versus behind/top.

I say do it. I would definitely be custom.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
rbl
Rock Crawler

yea why not? if you use a ford ttb set up with the radius arms, panhard bar and coils it should work...are you would have to use a frame set-up like with your 1:1 or a tube frame...but this is going to be a good built post up lots of pics along the way and good luck
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I run the equivalent of wristed radius arm suspension on both my 1:1 rigs and like it. Without wristing, or making one link have a single heim at the axle, it won't flex very well. Near static actually. Atleast the Ford type will, I dont claim to have any knowledge on the land cruiser suspension. The rubber "C" bushings of the Ford setup is what allowed it to flex some stock. More or less it kept the flex down, probably helped them not need swaybars. It's really a design that shouldn't work, but poeple have made work. I'd imagine on an RC, very light, the torque twist would be bad on a wristed setup. My 1:1 will twist a little when put into gear.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Check over at Scale 4x4 at one of RikPal's rigs (Pit Bull?). I think he initially went with a panhard/radius setup up front but there wasn't enough room for an effective panhard bar if I remember correctly. And I think it was a real pain to get the steering linkage to stay parallel with the panhard bar to deal with bumpsteer. He also used TLT axles.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote