Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: bully, berg or axial? best moa axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default bully, berg or axial? best moa axle

Just wondering the best option for moa axles. I have a shafty and want to make the switch but really want rear steer. I don't go to comps so I just want something that can go nearly anywhere. I figure this forum is the best place to get a real answer and reasons as to why. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.
thanks
Mostly Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

You will get way to many answers. They are equally capable IMHO. My XR10 goes everywhere my buddies berg and bully goes. Get what ever kit you feel will suit you best, between aftermarket, price, and whatever else you might want to consider.

Remember, there is no such word as best, because best is a relative term to the person who is describing it.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well, Honestly you are going to get about 2000 different opinions on this one. It has been beat to death in the past and usually ends up in a pissing match.

But heres my take on your question.

I'm assuming that you do not compete due to the fact that you'd like to have rear steer. Since rear steer is not allowed in competitions, most of the MOAs out there do not have it. The only one that comes with the option for rear steering from the factory is the Berg.
The Bully can be set up for rear steer, but you will have to buy two front axles. You cannot modify the rear axle unless you buy new tubes, knuckles and axles.

The XR10 does not have rear steer available. You will need two front axles to accomplish this and as of right now you would have to purchase 2 complete kits as the axles are not available separately.

Each axle has its ups and downs. The Berg axles are nice, but require a bit of beefing up to get them to handle what we can throw at them. They are nice and light and they are very easy to build a chassis around.

The bully axles are Beefy, they are damn near bombproof right out of the box. They are also cheap if you get the cast versions, but the cast versions are heavy.

The axial axles are still yet proving themselves, they are definitely a top contender and Axial started from scratch on these so there are a few bugs that need to be worked out of them. There are some simple repairs required to the gear case to toughen up the bearings that are pretty simple to do. The axles are light and strong.

All 3 have their advantages and disadvantages. Your cheapest route for getting a MOA axle and having rear steer would be to buy 2 Bully front axles. These would be VERY strong out of the box and you really wouldn't have to upgrade them at all. They can put up with some pretty extreme bashing and they are a comp level axle too and can compete with the best of them.

I personally run Berg axles in my comp rig. Its just what I like, But if all you are doing is fun crawling and bashing around. The bullies will do that at a price that you can't beat! Now if you were ever thinking about competing. I would advise just to get a regular set of axles and forget about the rear steering. With the Berg axles in factory form, you can actually lock out the rear steer feature.

Do some reading on the Berg forum, Bully forum, and the XR10 forum and make an educated decision for yourself. You will get way too many answers here asking a wide open question like this.

Most people will tend to have a favorite axle for whatever their reason, but they will all do the job. Each one will be a little different from the other in one way or another.

Heres a link to the RTR Bully crawler, For 300 bucks, its a pretty darn good deal. The wheels are plastic and don't hold up particularly well though, but there are several vendors on the site here that offer High quality aluminum wheels for a good price! But this truck does NOT have rear steer. You can likely sell the rear axle and buy a new front axle to get it done. Or just email RC4WD and ask them if it could have 2 steer axles instead of 1.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Mk42-MOA-Craw...dio-_p_14.html

Last edited by jcboof; 10-28-2010 at 05:48 PM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

my computer died just as I hit submit so when it came back up it looked like it didn't submit but now I have a double thread like an idiot. good times.

anyway based on price between bully and axial the bully is my best option, mostly because of price. I have read a bit on them and find little negative. I need to check out the burgs a little more.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The "cheap" bully's dont compare to the berg. The light weight ones do but then they are more expensive than the berg's,

Get a set of used berg axles iwth super 300 axles and you will be golden.
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

I fixed your double post issue.

Are you going to keep your shaftie together and run both? If not, You could pick up a set of used Bergs and buy another motor. With everything else you have, you should be able to put a truck together. I've seen Berg rollers as low as $250.

As far as going anywhere, having dig will help allot more than rear steer. Personally, I'd ditch the rear steer idea, buy an Axial and learn how to use dig for everything it can be used for.

Out of all of them, the Axial really is the best option.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
dnf

Is your shafty a axial???

I would say if you want rear steer you have just droped the bully and axial from the short list.

Whats left to choose form on your list? Nothing left but the berg.
However,you should look into the hr moa axle too.Some guys may talk smack about them,but dont listen to them.It would be a good axle choice for your needs.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
I fixed your double post issue.

Are you going to keep your shaftie together and run both? If not, You could pick up a set of used Bergs and buy another motor. With everything else you have, you should be able to put a truck together. I've seen Berg rollers as low as $250.

As far as going anywhere, having dig will help allot more than rear steer. Personally, I'd ditch the rear steer idea, buy an Axial and learn how to use dig for everything it can be used for.

Out of all of them, the Axial really is the best option.
x2 on ditching the rear steer for dig. Its alot better IMO and alot of fun.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have more then one of each but the berg speaks for itself i do howebver think the xr10 will be the moa of the future my thoughts are axial supports the sport berg not so much
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

This is my opinion:

1. XR10 - it will be the MOA to have. Support for this kit will be unmatched by any other option!!
2. Berg - Proven. Good aftermarket support.
3. Bully - Strong, but heavy (except for the machined upgrade). Good support as well.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

any photos of a dig set up? I had a dig on my clod axles but didn't like it that much. other wise can I do two front bullies and a dig? if there are enough channels on my radio?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Broken View Post
any photos of a dig set up? I had a dig on my clod axles but didn't like it that much. other wise can I do two front bullies and a dig? if there are enough channels on my radio?
What radio are you running???? I don't have any pictures of a dig, but most of them are all electric right now, meaning no servo needed to actuate them. Punk RC has one and RC4WD has the Rocker Dig. You can still m/ake a dig switch using 2 microswitches and a micro servo though.

4ws is one of those things that most people here, myself included do not run. You would need a good 4channel radio to do it with dig also. But if you want to stick with 4ws only, a 3 channel radio with a 3 position 3rd channel would do the job. Dig only would also need a 3 channel radio.

One benefit to a dig only truck is that you would not have to purchase an additional steering kit and steering servo.

But if you are dead set on rear steer, the two bully axles would be my first choice just due to durability out of the box and price.

The new XR10 kit is sweet but you will not have the option for rear steer unless you buy another complete kit and rob the front axle from it.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

you could simply buy a servo ,the c-hubs, knuckles, and do your own linkage for rear steering on the XR10.

which is no more or less than what you have to do with a berg or bully to set up 4WS.

Id take dig only over 4ws only simply based on the climbing advantages.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Forget about 4 wheel steering. You're not building a Super, right?

XR10 all the way!

Join us, we're crawling into the future
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

the radio I have is a 3pm mx futaba 2.4 ghz so the steering is a digital mix and the third channel is not yet used. at least thats what i think it is doing.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Once you go Berg everything else is cheap plastic
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

XR10 More LHS support. Try'n go to a LHS and order berg parts My LHS deals with RC4WD $hit. That cool, if you like heavey ass rigs.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
XR10 More LHS support. Try'n go to a LHS and order berg parts My LHS deals with RC4WD $hit. That cool, if you like heavey ass rigs.

My LHS carries all berg parts and almost everything sold by vendors on this site aswell. I have never ordered anything for my berg. I just stop in and get what I need. I know most are not as lucky to have a great LHS as I have (Hobbytown Concord) but I still say berg. While I have love for Axial for all they do to support this hobby, I have no love for plastic axles and I like the more customized steering setups you can do with a berg vs the XR. Berg is way more custimizable.
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

who sells the berg axles? and I would like to check out the options for them. I am mostly leaning towards the bullies right now. which has the better steering throw or angle?

And what about the worminator moa

Last edited by Mostly Broken; 10-29-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Broken View Post
which has the better steering throw or angle?
The Bully with XVD V6s get about 47*:
http://store.rc4wd.com/Bully-22-Axle...-v6_p_800.html

The Berg with SDS 300's get about 50.5*:
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Super-300...s-p-17761.html
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote