Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Please help with Clearance issues !!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Please help with Clearance issues !!!!

Before I cut the front of my new tube chassis off, to redo it.... Can someone please tell me what is the IDEAL clearance is, between the Top Links and the Bottom (underside) of the chassis ? Front and Rear..... I think the nose of my new tube chassis might be angled down a little too much, and I might have issues with the top links hitting the underside of the chassis during shock compression and articulation.... Thanks.....
ap714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap714
Before I cut the front of my new tube chassis off, to redo it.... Can someone please tell me what is the IDEAL clearance is, between the Top Links and the Bottom (underside) of the chassis ? Front and Rear..... I think the nose of my new tube chassis might be angled down a little too much, and I might have issues with the top links hitting the underside of the chassis during shock compression and articulation.... Thanks.....

You're asking a question that can have a million answers. There is no ideal clearance, although I'm still unsure of what your asking about. Links are mounting in so many different ways it's silly. Every chassis is different and everyone runs a different setup.

Oh yeah, post a picture, words can only help us so far. Use the web to your advantage, post pictures!!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Photo....

This is a shot I took to show how close the front axle is to the underside of the front chassis.....
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default Photo

Here is another photo... The front end is almost touching the top of the axles....
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You should straighten the fron out instead of having it droop down.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Although the chassis design is a bit off of the "norm".. I don't see much problem. Bring the front axle in a bit closer to the center of the chassis and extend out the rear an equal amount.

You'll want a 40/60 setup or in your case you might push it and go with a 30/70 setup once you install/build links.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Try making the front articulate only. I don't know how good it would handle, but it is an idea.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:38 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default Axles Placement

That is what I built it around... The front Drive shaft is an inch shorter than the Rear.. In the photo you cant tell that because they are just sitting on the table not attached to anything.. (they must have moved before i took the photo.) I think my main concern is the underside of the chassis is too close to where the top links mount and will not allow good articulation or shock compression... Has anyone ever bent tubing after the Frame was assembled ? Or should I cut off the front half and redesign ? If I do cut the front off now wont it twist the frame up ?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Just build the rig around your suspensions full compression. If you want more uptravel/downtravel then change the mounting locations/spring rates on your shocks. Keeping the weight down low is always a good thing, and building it at full compression you can do your steering and links to make sure you wont have binding issues.

Goodluck on the project, tube chassis looks good.

Leach
93yjpiece is offline   Reply With Quote