Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Most successful rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Most successful rig?

As a noob i've been reading up as much as i can and i'm really enjoying me little MRC, but can't help feeling that a bigger truck would easily get over obstacles the MRC stands no chance on.

So it got me to thinking.

Is bigger better?
Would a fairly bog 2.2 or even a stock super crawler climb better than say a fully hopped up 1.9 rig (drivers being equal on a varied course)?

I realise a "what's best" thread is to general to the point of useless, and that every ones opinion is likely to be wildly different.
So to try and remove personal opinion as much as possible is there 1 particular chassis or combination that's won more comps than any other?

Class rules aside what would be the ultimate RC crawling rig?

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I have a feeling that you have just opened a big ass can of worms!

The T1E Rockshow and Y-Town BJ have had the most success as far as bodiless chassis.

Bodied chassis is a little harder to pinpoint... Fubar, CDW, and BWD are probably up there in the "most wins" list.

Berg axles are by far are the most common, therefor have the most success.

Is bigger better? For all intensive purposes, yes. If you are strictly asking if a bigger rig will climb bigger stuff, yes. But it really is all up to you bud. The key thing to remember is how much "FUN" you are going to have with your rig. A super class rig can be pretty hard to drive to its full potential. On the other hand, you might be wanting a little more muscle than a 1.9 or smaller rig can provide.

My advise: Get your hands on as many rigs as you can. Ask your local crawler guys to let you drive their rigs. I can almost guarantee they will let you. Talk to your LHS to see if you can demo different crawlers. Read the forums until your eyes bleed. Then make a decision.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gat714; 10-31-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Gat714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Right now I would say the XR10. It is pretty much winning or close to winning in all my local comps. The bergs are right up there too.....If I had to pick I would(and have!) pick the XR10!!
73bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Anyone of them with the right amount of mods
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

What a question, I'd be glad to answer it though.

My truck

duh

lol

Definately a can of worms type of question
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have an XR10, but going to say Berg. One reason the Xr10 just came out and has to break through the 3 years of 2.2 comp wins of the berg axles. In the end the XR10 axles and Bergs are great. The Berg axles have been out longer there for you are going to hear Berg alot.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Since your question was an "all things being equal" type scenario, the answer is yes bigger is better. Thats why they had to put a limit on super class wheel bases. It's also why 2.2 and scale classes have wheel base and tire size limits as well. But better is a relative term. It can be VERY expensive to build a decent superclass truck. Additionally it can also be hard to find a location challenging enough to run it. This is the reason for the 2.2 classes current popularity. It's also the reason I might get my stepson and myself 2 micro crawlers so we can can have indoor winter comps on the couch or over books and stuff in the basement. Bigger would certainly NOT be better in those circumstances. Simply put there are a poop load of variables in the term better. The truck that will end up being the best for you will simply be the one that fits your need the best. Or if you can afford it just get one of each!
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've only played w/shafty style rigs. When I joined this board it was all about swx & slingshot... I think
I love the tuber/bodiless style shaft driven rigs. UGC & T1E
They are all fun! TCS Eclipse is tasty too. Altough Radio shacks ZipZap MT was my first. I think it's just about fun.
My current shafty

Every thing named I have, but there are many more I'd like to try.
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

2.2 is the most popular class by far, and the winningest rig would have to be a berg. Having said that you will have to spend around a $1,000 or more to build a competitive berg. XR-10 is a great truck, but it will get alot better with time. Right now there just aren't enough parts out. Vanquish and several of the top manufacturers will be coming out with their hop ups for XR-10 soon, but it will take some time.

I guess if there was one rig that was the best one out there, then everyone would be driving that rig. One of the things that makes this hobby fun for me is tinkering and upgrading my rig.

Good Luck and welcome to your new addiction
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Like everyone is sayin, bigger is better, simply because generally speaking a bigger rig can get over bigger obstacles.

From the sound of your question though, it seems like the places you're tryin to crawl are better suited to a 2.2 or super rig.

Within certain classes, I'm a firm believer that there is no "best" rig, and I honestly hope it stays that way.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default rig

Anything with the words NewAge, Enroute, Berg, Tracer, or Nano in the product title...with a close runner-up given to the top of the line Bully....Third being LCC axles attached to a good aftermarket chassis coupled with an Eritex MOA...and I hear the XR10 is good but it still has that new car smell...so when the honeymoon is over, we'll find out for sure.
rooktakesqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
Suck it up!

Bigger is obviously more capable, but what will you do when you have nothing left to challenge you?

I ditched my super for a 2.2 simply because I ran out of challenging places to drive it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=rooktakesqueen;2716848] LCC axles attached to a good aftermarket chassis coupled with an Eritex MOA. [=rooktakesqueen;2716848QUOTE]
your ignorant. the Losi doesnt need an after market chassis or MOA kit, mine has the stock chassis and it is a shafty and i can hang with bergs, bullys, and MOA Losis no problem. it is very competitve with stock chassis and with a transmission, the suspension geometry is good, and i feel that the after market chassis that ive went against didnt have much if any advantage over me other than they had less sprung weight because they ran MOA kits
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Great responses thanks guys.

My hope was that in asking which chassis/truck has the most wins it'd put something quantifiable to measure against rather than just "my trucks best"

Gat714,
There aren't many crawlers over here, there's a few on here that are local and i'll attend the next meet, but it's no where near as popular over here as there.
I've yet to see a LHS with a crawler in stock, never mind a good selection to try out :(
We're lucky if they have the bits we want in stock at less than 3 times the price we can buy the bits on-line for

Bukwylde,
Makes sense

Sounds like it's pretty well between makes.
What strikes me as odd though coming from touring cars and off-road cars, is that a decent driver could buy say a Hot Bodies TCX, bolt in a motor, ESc Rx etc and after a few adjustments be competitive.

It doesn't seem to be the case with crawlers though, as there seems to be hardly any out the box crawlers that seem competitive.
Is this just that crawling folks like their trucks to be different?

Or is it a case that aftermarket companies make better parts than
the truck manufactures, because the manufacturers are building to a price?

Could a top class driver say, buy a XR10, bolt in their electrics and win a comp the following weekend?

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Bigger is obviously more capable, but what will you do when you have nothing left to challenge you?

I ditched my super for a 2.2 simply because I ran out of challenging places to drive it.
Ditto.

I parted ways with my beloved Hustler a couple years ago for the same reason, and nobody else in our club was running Super.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs
It doesn't seem to be the case with crawlers though, as there seems to be hardly any out the box crawlers that seem competitive.
Is this just that crawling folks like their trucks to be different?

Or is it a case that aftermarket companies make better parts than
the truck manufactures, because the manufacturers are building to a price?

Could a top class driver say, buy a XR10, bolt in their electrics and win a comp the following weekend?
Pretty much yes to all your questions.

I'm still pretty new to crawling - been in it for 7-8 months now - but crawlers in kit form or rtr are fairly new developments, so I think a lot of drivers are already more inclined to build a totally custom rig than to settle for stock.

Aftermarket parts in general are going to be improvements over stock, and especially with crawlers, a lot of those parts come about to address specific weaknesses in those stock rigs. Of course that doesn't mean you can just throw tons of $$$ at a rig for a bunch of parts to make it "good."

I think most folks around here will tell you that being a good driver and knowing your rig will give an edge over a "better" rig if the other driver doesn't know how to drive it.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by version_three View Post
crawlers in kit form or rtr are fairly new developments, so I think a lot of drivers are already more inclined to build a totally custom rig than to settle for stock.
Not entirely true. RTR's are designed for entry level drivers without the knowledge to build their own. They are also designed with a particular price point so as not to discourage anyone wanting to get into the game. Manufacturers could build the most bad-assed, indestructable, trophy winning rig, but in would be incredibly expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by version_three View Post
I think most folks around here will tell you that being a good driver and knowing your rig will give an edge over a "better" rig if the other driver doesn't know how to drive it.
Damn straight. Having the best rig in the world won't do you any good if you don't know what its capable of or know how to drive it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I agree with what is being said it all depends on what you are planing to run.

I think this part of the hobby resembles the real world in a lot of ways.
There are people that just throw money at it and don't know they're rig and how it behaves as well as a "built" rig. Same with 1:1's...guys that wheel they're Jeep a few times and than say hell I'll just dump 6K into a Jeep with lockers, axles, lift, motor swap (or major upgrades), and a shit tone of other little mods. Then when they hit the trail there is so much to know how to use (and so many different things to have to check if something isn't working right) that they can't "use" their crazy cool rig.

Then there are guys that buy a basic rig and upgrade as needed. And try to do what they can with what they have available first before going out and buying the newest and greatest part. Now don't get me wrong, there are some great aftermarket manufactures out there and sometimes no matter how clever you are with the fab skills the aftermarket part will just do the job better.
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default ?

"your ignorant"? how about "you'RE ignorant"

MOA vs shafty....come on now, we all know who comes out on top.

([QUOTE=2500hdon37s;2716904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooktakesqueen View Post
LCC axles attached to a good aftermarket chassis coupled with an Eritex MOA. [=rooktakesqueen;2716848QUOTE]
your ignorant. the Losi doesnt need an after market chassis or MOA kit, mine has the stock chassis and it is a shafty and i can hang with bergs, bullys, and MOA Losis no problem. it is very competitve with stock chassis and with a transmission, the suspension geometry is good, and i feel that the after market chassis that ive went against didnt have much if any advantage over me other than they had less sprung weight because they ran MOA kits
rooktakesqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

Makes sense, no point building a 600bhp car if there's only go-kart tracks where you live.

I guess that's part of my problem, the areas where i want to drive have huge boulders and gaps that swallow up the little MRC like it never existed.

Going super is pretty much out though as one simply won't fit in my car.
2.2 might well fit in me boot, but twin motors and dig is gonna be a problem as i only have the use of 1 arm.
So switching between modes on the Tx and pressing buttons is pretty much out unless i can get to em with me chin