Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Someone help me like my Rock Rider!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #1

Default Someone help me like my Rock Rider!!!

Ok early last year me and my bro both bought Rock Riders tried getting them to work with the stock shocks (which are junk!!!) move all the links around in new positions still did work for crap... Bought the black longer RC4WD shocks still not better at all, got so pissed that i forgot about it until now and am thinking about giving it another try or try selling the hunk and get something else.

The thing has killer flex when i have it in my hands but when crawling the torque twist is the worst and when crawling up a rock with the either the driver or pass front tire (cant remember) the other front tire follows and doesnt flex at all...

I was thinking about trying the new Gmade shocks in a droop setup and see if it helps but on the other hand i dont want to be throwing more money at something that is gonna piss me off so thats why i am leaning in the direction of selling the damn thing.

Thanks to anyone who can help me decide on what to do!!!
Rockrider1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
RCC Addict

i would ditch the chassis and get one from the chassis/vender section. when i had mine it took alot to just make it work ok
joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

First off, stay away from the off-brand shocks. Get yourself a proven set of shocks like the Losi Crawler shocks. If you go to the droop setup, that will help with the torque twist significantly. If you want to stick with a sprung setup, use stiffer springs and thicker oil in the rear.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrider1984 View Post
when crawling up a rock with the either the driver or pass front tire (cant remember) the other front tire follows and doesnt flex at all...
This isn't so much a problem with the shocks, as it is with suspension layout and setup. Try going back to stock settings and change one thing at a time and see what it does. This will take a while, but will be much cheaper than just buying shocks and being frustrated.

OR

Buy a Losi
Shawn M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #5

Its a toss up between the Losi shocks or the Gmade's i might just go with the losi's since they are proven to work... I have tried every layout with the suspension i can and still no good thats why i was looking into a droop setup for it, I think a semi drop would work better for my crawling needs so i have a little more ground clearence... Another thing i was thinking might be a problem is i have my 6 cell pack mounted to my tranny causing alot of weight on the chassis which might be making my torque twist worse any ideas on that??? Also I only have 30 weight oil in my shocks front and rear should i try a thicker weight oil??? Maybe keep the 30 in the front and some thicker stuff out back?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #6

Also "joeyf" did you just do a chassis and use your axles and tranny on a new chassis or did you get a whole new truck kit... I dont want to throw a butt load of money at this thing cause its just a fun toy no comps but i do want a truck that works.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Thicker oil won't help with the torque twist, but stiffer springs will and you'll need thicker oil to compensate for the increased rebound or the thing is gonna get floppy. Definitely do something with the battery. Get it mounted on the axle somehow or mounted on top of the upper front links. That will certainly help.

The Rock Riders require tons of fiddling to work even remotely well. One of our very smart experienced guys screwed around with his forever before finally giving up. He did get it to work well, but for comps, it wasn't up to par. Experiment with different link mounting positions on the rear links; either mounted further up or further down. That should help as well.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Also "joeyf" did you just do a chassis and use your axles and tranny on a new chassis or did you get a whole new truck kit... I dont want to throw a butt load of money at this thing cause its just a fun toy no comps but i do want a truck that works.

yes, just a chassis. swaped everything over from the rider
Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #9

My head is killing me i have been reading through a bunch of link theory threads and i am all confused now... What chassis did you end up going with Joey and any recommendations???
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
My head is killing me i have been reading through a bunch of link theory threads and i am all confused now... What chassis did you end up going with Joey and any recommendations???

i went with a JP custom, running a mayham engineering chassis now.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #11

Can anyone recommend a chassis for me that will work with my r2 tranny and the stock rock rider axles???