Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need some advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Need some advice.

I am looking to get a crawler for my 7 year old for x-mas I forund this and don't know much about them. I have a MRC with gc-3 and mongooge and he dose good with it but don't really want to spend that much money on a 7 year old but don't really want to go too cheep eather like the ones you get a toys r us or walmart I like this because it has replacment parts and can be fixed when he brakes it ( not if when. lol). Please help.
Drifter_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I built a Venom Creeper for my 7 year old daughter. When I got it the kits were $99, and I've seen people post this week that some places have the kits down to $79 (but I can't confirm it, cause I can't find them THAT cheap).

Best bang for your buck, IMHO. Buy a star if you don't have one yet, and get the creeper kit, and then get a motor, ESC, servo, and Radio set off the BST here for another $60 or so (if you get the cheapest stuff). I see a ton of stock axial ESC's and radio sets, sometimes brand new take-offs, for around $20 each. You could be looking at a brand new, decent crawler for $140.

I'm looking for a lightly used MRC for my other daughter now, but we all really like the Creeper at my house.

Ok, I just found this also:
RPP Salvage
SCX10 ESC $20
SCX10 27T motor $9.49
SCX10 servo $7.99
SCX10 Radio w/RX $14.99

$53 for a full set of electronics and you are ready to go. Obviously the servo is not going to last, and the other parts could use upgrading, but they will work for your 7 year old, at least for a little while (and probably longer than the Maxstone parts on the truck in your link)

Last edited by schiesz; 11-10-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Adding parts list from RPP
schiesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I would suggest getting a star as well, and browsing the classifieds. You can even get an AX10 for cheap in there, and then you have limitless upgrades for the future.
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #4

FWIW, the guy I sold my mrc bough one of those for his son, same deal as you wanted to get him something to play with cheap, but not a wal-mart toy. He has been happy with it. I've never seen it first hand, but hes told me its a pretty nice little rig, does everything the mrc does (it was stock), and hasn't broken anything. They just run them around the basement and in the yard, no hardcore crawling. But he has no regrets on buying it. I have been wanting to pick one up myself to throw a sammy body on for a cheap little scale rig.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the help guys. I really did not want to go with a 2.2 sence I run a 1.9.
Drifter_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Go on ebay. There is a jap company that make a mini crawler just like the MRC And it cheap
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thought of getting a scaler? Then you can rock the 1.9, and get a cheap Axial.
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote