Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Practicing Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Practicing Crawling

Do you guys have a rock garden setup or something at your house to crawl at. Where im at there isnt too many rocks to crawl so im thinking about doing something out back with some rocks and etc.

Just wondering what everyone has setup or would recommend, since im new to crawling. Alot different than racing but im hooked.
CountryChevy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #2

yep, got about a ton of stone waiting for me to do something with it. it's nice to have something to test on, just outside the door.
it would be faster to do a search there are a few threads in "general tech" or check both the video sections (general and scale). hope this helps get you started.

Last edited by Jon Boy; 11-10-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Jon Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Or find a good spot to go to, and set the gates up closer than the rules have them, which is 16 inches apart for the 2.2 class. Go down to like 14 inches and have at it.

I know a couple guys with rock gardens, one using an entire side of a two car garage. It's great, it even has a couch near enough to sit on and drive from there.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i just have about 100lbs of rock i have gathered up against the side of my trailer.

And as Mr. Pee said, 14" gates.

I like to set up a course that is almost un-do-able.

then i sit there going gate by gateuntil i can go through the entire thing in 1 shot.

if i fall, gate, or fail, I start over.

I never practiced before, so this is how im trying to get better.

another thing too, any opportunity you have to crawl with others, do it.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Dont know if I'll get flamed for this, but there is a church/ youth center at the end of my road and there is a huge rock pile right beside the building I just walk over and crawl when the parking lot is empty which is like 99% of the time
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I have a nice big course at my house. With rocks from around 5lbs to around 450lbs, I set up 10 14'' undoable gates like stated above and do the whole thing til I can do it perfect. If I roll, hit a gate, or get bound up I have to take a touch, I just go back to gate one.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemancrawler View Post
Dont know if I'll get flamed for this, but there is a church/ youth center at the end of my road and there is a huge rock pile right beside the building I just walk over and crawl when the parking lot is empty which is like 99% of the time
Sounds good to me. Same thing by my house just walk over there and hit the rocks. They just put in a bad ass retaining wall that looks next to inpossible. I'm going to see if my XR10 is up to the task.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have about 4 tons in my garage, usuailly run 6-8 gates. I collected rocks from everywhere and ask around alot. people would just give them too me, I only bought one truck load for about $20 bucks the rest were free.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 11-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Jer
Rock Crawler

I have a decent sized pile beside the garage I can arrange until it's almost impossible to pass through. If I want to play for a full day I got to my FIL's quarry and play on the acres of rocks he has set aside.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Just walk out side and put the crawler down and start going. Crawl everything, stairs, block, curbs, cats...anything. Any time spent driving is better than no time spent driving. It will give you the ability to adapt to anything that comes your way.
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have a little rock pile I use at the house, I use this for testing after I make upgrades or repairs. The base I am stationed on has a rock quay wall that offers a variety of rocks and climbing challenges, about twice a week, work permitting, I practice here. I also have two complete courses of gate markers that I can practice hitting...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Got Worms?

i have about 40 acres of land with rocks everywhere. So its more of a rock ranch not garden
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Hmmm I had use of skidsteer, mini ex, and pile of rocks guess what I did with them?
vistavega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I had kind of pictured doing a rock pile kind of setup that i can rearrange to make different obstacles, but havent seen more than a few actual courses from pictures i have seen on here. Any pictures that you have would be great. Im finding a few around on the site but the more the merrier.

Thanks for all the advice.
CountryChevy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
Jer
Rock Crawler

Really it's just a matter of having rocks to make a course. Pick a good sized space to put them and get more rocks than will lay on one layer. Start putting rocks down. Play on them the way they lay for a while until you figure out what your rig is capable of, then start moving them around so it's more difficult to get through, keep going until you decide it's good enough. Currently I have a specific entry point with three different exits all varying in difficulty so I can keep trying different methods of getting through obstacles.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

i have a small one in my yard bunch different sized rocks and some broke concrete makes for a nice place to play and try out any new settings i do. plus gives the kids a place for there's
jokers_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I live in a fairly new apartment complex and they have a field next to it that is full of rocks that they dug up. I have a rock racing course set up and a few other lines I like to run. But there is enough there I just kind of find a real hard line and run it till I get it. Some if the rocks are as big as cars ha ha
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde802 View Post
Crawl everything, stairs, block, curbs, cats...
Jon Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Move near a volcano and just wheel the lava flows, endless lines.
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote