Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Wheel/Axle weight and suspension performance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Lightbulb Wheel/Axle weight and suspension performance.

Hey gang,

Something just occurred to me. When we add weight to a solid axle rig, it is either placed into the wheels and tires, or on the axlehousing. It makes sense, increasing the weight improves the traction and gives better ability to articulate. What about wheel and or suspension arm weights on an independant suspension rig? (I know I.S. sucks, blah blah blah, but hear me out) It is typical to have the lightest arms and suspension components possible with racing but I am just curious as to what type of effect increasing the weight may have. In some ways it makes sense to me, but in other ways it doesn't. What do you guys have to say?
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

lighter means more unsprung wieght so when you are going fast the suspension can move faster so you get a smoother ride. But for rock crawling light wieght doesnt help the ride but helps you get over stuff easyer and break less.
rockcrawler_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

In general, you want to use the lightest wheels that will let the truck stay upright. Weight in the wheels is just a way to cheat the CG lower. Once you get the CG down to its practical minumum, there's no point in adding more.

Ten ounces per wheel in a TLT, for example, is a bit much.

I usually end up with about 2/3 the weight of the chassis (RTR, not counting the axles) in the wheels, evenly distributed. This gives me about 3 ounces in each wheel in my TLT rigs. Other guys run 5 or more ounces. It's all what works best for you.

I'm still figuring out the big guy. As it's more stable to begin with, less weight is needed.

Since the whole point of wheel weights is to keep the truck upright, it would work just fine with IS. Just keep the weights on the wheels and off the chassis.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

get the lightest components you can and then you can place the weight where you want on the rig if you use heavy components they are where they are but with light you can place the weight where ever you wanted too.
need some carbon fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #5

Crawling and racing are two very different things. In racing and high speed driving you want the suspension to be able to react to changing terain as quickly as possible. This allows the wheels to remain in contact with the ground, for better traction and handeling.
When crawling you don't go fast enough to have to worry about the suspension not "keeping up" with the terain. As others have said heavy tires and wheels on a crawler is a easy way to lower CG.
9GUY9 is offline   Reply With Quote