Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: XR10 vs Berg vs Bully

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Default XR10 vs Berg vs Bully

I'm ready to drop $1,000 for a real competition rig.

What is best for competition (XR, Berg, etc.) - and please list equipment needed with total $$ (approx.) to build from ground up (motor, ESC, radio, tires, etc.).
RCchomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
0 0

Look through build threads and build what you want to build. There are going to be way to many ways to build three different trucks for people to price out for you.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well ofcourse the XR. Price will depend on what you want to do. Do you want to be able the change the drive bias front to rear? Just have dig? Do you want to be able the use the cutting brake when avalible? Do you want aluminum after market wheels? The list goes on. I say go with an XR, and look at all the great build threads on here. Everyones XR on here is amazing and these rigs are a true performer.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #4

find one for sale or ur going to need more than 1000. i got 1000 in my xr10 and dont have dig set up yet.
zzhondaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #5

I have an AX-10 with upgrades and love it - just ready to go all out with another rig for competition.

It sounds like the XR is the way to go. Money is not a limit, so if you have suggestions on what will get to the finish line - I'd like your advice - recommended setups - motors, ESCs, etc.
RCchomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
Rockin' in Reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCchomp View Post
I'm ready to drop $1,000 for a real competition rig.

What is best for competition (XR, Berg, etc.) - and please list equipment needed with total $$ (approx.) to build from ground up (motor, ESC, radio, tires, etc.).
My opinion for your price range:

XR10
Futaba 4PL
Two Tekin FXR's and 45t pro hand wound motors
Hitec 7950th servo
Castle BEC
Vanquish wheels
Hot Bodies Sedonas or Rovers
Crawler Inovations DD 5.5 foam
9mm bearing mod on the XR10 motor plate
Vanquish knuckles and chubs
Axial aluminum hi clearance links and 30 degree bent links

Maybe I passed $1000, but that is my recommendation for a good rig.
rcjackson0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Just do you homework, I am bias to Novak So I have the M2 and love the bias with out the cost of a $400-500 on the radio.
The DX3R is a great radio-$319
XR10 Kit-$289 average
M2 ESC-$139
VP wheels-$150 Average
Rovers-$40
Foams Nova-$40
Servo-$120
VP upgrades-$250-$300
That should get you started.
Hope this helps, if you look around you can get it cheaper.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmech View Post
Just do you homework, I am bias to Novak So I have the M2 and love the bias with out the cost of a $400-500 on the radio.
The DX3R is a great radio-$319
XR10 Kit-$289 average
M2 ESC-$139
VP wheels-$150 Average
Rovers-$40
Foams Nova-$40
Servo-$120
VP upgrades-$250-$300
That should get you started.
Hope this helps, if you look around you can get it cheaper.

4pl and dual FXRs are cheaper, smaller, and perform much better than your m2 and 3r combo. Not opinion, fact.
dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCchomp View Post
I have an AX-10 with upgrades and love it - just ready to go all out with another rig for competition.

It sounds like the XR is the way to go. Money is not a limit, so if you have suggestions on what will get to the finish line - I'd like your advice - recommended setups - motors, ESCs, etc.
Contrary to popular belief....I'd say it's 40% rig and 60% driver......Throwing more money never replaces driving skills....PERIOD! Build what you really lke, and drive the crap out of it to get very good with it.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr View Post

4pl and dual FXRs are cheaper, smaller, and perform much better than your m2 and 3r combo. Not opinion, fact.
Your right. The 3r is what I have and the M2 is a great upgrade from an FXR Pro and Punk dig. Also there is the "dig" from Novak that I think does what the the M2 does and you can use you choice of ESC. I've been thinking of getting one of those radio's.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Contrary to popular belief....I'd say it's 40% rig and 60% driver......Throwing more money never replaces driving skills....PERIOD! Build what you really lke, and drive the crap out of it to get very good with it.
I'd even go as far as 30/70 I'm willing to bet Austin could beat me and my XR with a box stock AX10 RTC

Asking in the XR10 section about which is best will only get you biased opinion. They all have their up and down points. Bullys are damn near bullet proof but unmodified have the steering radius of a freight train. Bergs have weak 3rd gears (money fixes this) and need 300's to have decent steering and durability. XR's need a bearing upgrade in the tranny.

I have only touched on axles here. The berg chassis is not very good at all, you are better off just getting axles if you go that route, same for the Bully. The XR comes with a well thought out and highly adjustable chassis so an upgrade is a personal choice, not a must have.

That being said, I love my XR, there is only one thing I still "need" to fix with it and that is the steering servo position. I lack the engineering know how to come up with a solution so I patiently wait for those with more brains than I to come up with a fix!

Last edited by DickyT; 12-01-2010 at 07:00 AM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I have had everything except a berg. TLT, Clod, WK, AX10, LLC, Bully, and I still have most but now run a XR and am very happy with it. I can tell you that it's not the truck that holds me back but my driving.
We all know that Bergs are great and can win! They take a lot of money to make them strong and other than motor plate the XR's are already strong. The bully's front axle is too narrow and until they have longer tubes that allow more steering without being modded they take some work to be compable. That said they are really strong bone stock.

I look at bergs vs XR as getting a TLT with all the support they had when the AX10 had just come out....which would you rather have ?
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

id stay away from ANYTHING Novak. ewww.

Electronic Wise, Castle or tekin, brood or holmes.

Truck wise, berg or XR10. never really seen an AWESOME bully in person.

Radio a 4pk and Dual ESC is the tits. But a Punk dig and a DX3r work very well too.

$1000 will get you started.... but if you currently dont have anything... you wont get many upgrades!! LOL

Mt Xr10 sits @ about $600, and I already had a rx and tx, Esc, and batts and my charger.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
RCC Addict

i have had bergs , bullys, ax-10's, tlt's... if it where my money i would look in the for sale section first. lots of good deals to be had.
i just got an xr-10 and it is great. but a berg is a great choice with the proper aftermarket items(300 axles, chassis, steering...)
bullys also need lots of tuning.

my suggestion

xr-10 kit or used
castle esc. tekin fxr holmes br-xl
dual with 4ch radio (more money)
single esc ,punk dig , dx3r or for a budget dx3e.
tekin 45t's , brood 45t, or holmes hobbies handwound 45t
vp chubs and knucks( you can not use xr-10 wheels with the knucks so wheels mujst be bought.
vpdh-2's /slw combo
rovers sedonas or boss claws
foam nova's or figure it out

i would agree its more driver than rig but i feel this rig is very user friendly and has tons of support with more coming. so findd one that suits you and drive it often to build your skills to the potential of xr-10.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post

Radio a 4pk and Dual ESC is the tits. But a Punk dig and a DX3r work very well too.

$1000 will get you started.... but if you currently dont have anything... you wont get many upgrades!! LOL

Mt Xr10 sits @ about $600, and I already had a rx and tx, Esc, and batts and my charger.

dammn bob you built yours cheap....im sitting at abiut 1350 right now ugghhh..............but back to the topic.. if you like to drive with alot of throttle, go berg...if you like to finesse through things and pull anti gravity moves..go xr....everyone who i have ever talked to who had bully's....switched to berg or xr axles
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I agree 100%. I really think the XR-10 is the easiest way to enter this sport with a platform ready to advance with the driver. My Berg has most of the aftermarket bulletproof stuff, and show it on course with doing some astonishing things that would break alot of rigs. But clocking v1 axles for someone getting into this sport could be a bit intimidating.

I still think the Berg is an awesome and the XR-10 is gaining ground rapidly. Bullies never impressed me, but to each their own...
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Mine ran me about 750.00, and I mean everything that I needed. Thanks to RCC's FS section and ebay.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Dude,

I live in a trailer and drink Coors.

and I dont have the $300 worth of VP shit yet!
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Dude,

I live in a trailer and drink Coors.

and I dont have the $300 worth of VP shit yet!

Coors is good beer.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post

Coors is good beer.
X2 on the beer.