comp 6 19.35%
other 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: scaler or comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default scaler or comp

So I used to have a modded up ax10 and sold it to get into short course.
now considering getting back into crawling. was planning on building a xr10 or bully based comp rig but am now leaning towards the fun world of scaling. I always thought the scaler idea was cool especially since here i michigan the weather changes so much. I don't need a 1000 dollar scaler rig with all the goodies but was thinking i could pick a honcho KIT (not rtr) and build it up with some waterproof gear pretty cheap and it would be a fun rig to just take out ANYWHERE and not need a pile of rocks to have fun on. I know I enjoyed my ax10 allot and loved working on it to make it crawl better but sometimes lacked a really good place to drive it. starting to wonder if I might get allot more use out of a scaler. also My little brother has a tamiya pajero kit that he is always working on. it seems fun but I want a rig more capable than that.

any thoughts from anyone with this previous dilemma and or input is appreciated.
I welcome any links to kits, parts, ebay auctions, rccrawler.com classifieds ads.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Not really sure what the poll is for since it seems you already have your mind made up. You should check out the scaler sections here on RCC, get some ideas of what you like and go from there
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Not really sure what the poll is for since it seems you already have your mind made up. You should check out the scaler sections here on RCC, get some ideas of what you like and go from there
haven't completely decided... just wanted anyones input in case they had this decision.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #4

Is there more scaler events or comp events where you are? That would make the decision easier. I like both and have both so why choose.
Cookie Monster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Unless you have a crawler club near you and enjoy competition, you'll probably get more use out of a scale rig. As you said, you can run it almost anywhere and have fun. Some clubs also have scaler comps and events which are alot of fun also. I do both, comp with my local group and bash with friends and our scale rigs. The scalers get alot more use/abuse.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

voted scaler because I get more "fun" from that. you also have to look at what everyone else is doing in your area. if your the only scale in a goup of comp guys.....
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

really only got 1 indoor course around here and not allot of places outdoor especially in winter so I think i have decided to go the scaler route. gonna start a thread in scaler section thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Both
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i would go with the scaler more fun just change pinnion and go from crawling to bashing i agree with going with the honcho but since the price difference between the kit and the rtr is only $10 i would get the rtr and water proof it myself or sell off the parts i wasn't going to use to help with the price
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote