Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Newbie need some help!!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Smile Newbie need some help!!!!!!!!!!

I want to get into rock crawling and I would like to know what rc rock crawler I should buy? I have about 250 bucks to spend maybe 300. A big question I have is what's the battery life on average on one charged battery 15 min 20 min. ? Is there a better battery I can buy to last longer? Thanks!
NM
newmexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

There's a section for this

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/

It totally depends on what kind of battery you have. 2S, 3S, discharge rate, mAh... Without more info on what you have (or looking at getting) i couldnt even start to tell you how long a battery would last. My advise is to read read read. There are a million build threads on here. The info is out there, go get it!
Gat714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I got yah ive been looking into this about a month now but there are so many crawlers out there would you suggest something i should take a look at?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Do you have any RC stuff right now( bateries,radio, charger) would make it easier to help you.
401jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexico View Post
I got yah ive been looking into this about a month now but there are so many crawlers out there would you suggest something i should take a look at?
Sure man i can help you out. But first i need to know what direction you want to go? Answer the following for me:

1) will this be for comp or fun?
2) what class are you wanting to build - 1.9, 2.2, superclass?
3) do you want a shaft driven (one motor) or MOA (motor on axle, 2 motors)?
4) body or bodiless chassis?
5) one ESC with a dig unit (punk dig is my favorite) or two ESC's with a radio capable of controlling both ESC's independantly (such as the 4PK or 4PL)
6) and finally, possibly the most important question, what is your budget?

You can start by looking at my XR10 build, i'm byist, i think it's the best setup in the world!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #6

I have bought used rigs, I have a 540'd RS-10, it is ok, not much for parts support at the hobbystore, also have a TamiyaTLT axle based shafty rig, it is very torquey and crawls well too. Also have a nice set of used bully's with a JP customs chassis. Like stated earlier, what is it you are looking to do? Is there a club where you live and would you be comping it. A good new start is an Axial AX-10, tons of parts support and very upgradable. Watch ebay, craigslist and here for rigs that are very good and cheap. Good luck and welcome to the site and the fun.
Cookie Monster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Wink Here u Go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat714 View Post
Sure man i can help you out. But first i need to know what direction you want to go? Answer the following for me:

1) will this be for comp or fun?
2) what class are you wanting to build - 1.9, 2.2, superclass?
3) do you want a shaft driven (one motor) or MOA (motor on axle, 2 motors)?
4) body or bodiless chassis?
5) one ESC with a dig unit (punk dig is my favorite) or two ESC's with a radio capable of controlling both ESC's independantly (such as the 4PK or 4PL)
6) and finally, possibly the most important question, what is your budget?

You can start by looking at my XR10 build, i'm byist, i think it's the best setup in the world!
1) Just for Fun!!
2) Not sure what class im new to this but have the patience to build
3) MOA sounds better to me for some reason just cause theres 2 motors
4) Body for sure
5) not sure what this means like i said im new HAHA
6) about $300 $400 At the most dont want to spend to much yet because its my first one

Im just kind of worried to buy one cause i dont want to have like 15 min. run time and like 3 hour charge time cause that doesnt sound to fun if its ganna be like that!!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401jeeper View Post
Do you have any RC stuff right now( bateries,radio, charger) would make it easier to help you.
No dont have any parts right now
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
1) Just for Fun!!
2) Not sure what class im new to this but have the patience to build
3) MOA sounds better to me for some reason just cause theres 2 motors
4) Body for sure
5) not sure what this means like i said im new HAHA
6) about $300 $400 At the most dont want to spend to much yet because its my first one

Im just kind of worried to buy one cause i dont want to have like 15 min. run time and like 3 hour charge time cause that doesnt sound to fun if its ganna be like that!!
Haha ok now i have a little bit better idea of what we're working with

It sounds to me like you would be better off getting a RTR (ready to run, has everything you need to pull it out of the box and play) or an ARTR (has everything but a radio) kit. Losi has some very good kits. If you want an easy, but really fun truck kit, check out the Losi Night Crawler (LNC). If you want to get a kit that you can update a little bit down the road to be competition (comp) worthy, look at the Losi Comp Crawler (LCC) kit.

Those are both what we call "shaftys" which means they have one motor in the chassis with drive shafts going to each axle.

An XR10 kit, which has two motors might be a little advanced for you. It can be done however, new crawler enthusiasts build them every day. This will require more work, more research, and unfortunately more money. I have an XR10 with close to $2K in it. Granted not much on my XR10 is stock. If you are looking at spending $300 - $400, i would look at the Losi kits that i mentioned above.

Unfortunately, $3-400 doesn't go far in our hobby. But bring on the questions, i know you have some more
Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat714 View Post
Haha ok now i have a little bit better idea of what we're working with

It sounds to me like you would be better off getting a RTR (ready to run, has everything you need to pull it out of the box and play) or an ARTR (has everything but a radio) kit. Losi has some very good kits. If you want an easy, but really fun truck kit, check out the Losi Night Crawler (LNC). If you want to get a kit that you can update a little bit down the road to be competition (comp) worthy, look at the Losi Comp Crawler (LCC) kit.

Those are both what we call "shaftys" which means they have one motor in the chassis with drive shafts going to each axle.

An XR10 kit, which has two motors might be a little advanced for you. It can be done however, new crawler enthusiasts build them every day. This will require more work, more research, and unfortunately more money. I have an XR10 with close to $2K in it. Granted not much on my XR10 is stock. If you are looking at spending $300 - $400, i would look at the Losi kits that i mentioned above.

Unfortunately, $3-400 doesn't go far in our hobby. But bring on the questions, i know you have some more
wow Thats alot of cash in it well i appreciate it. There is no compatition around here in this sport i Just liked it and was first wanting a Traxxis Tmax its a nitro car but ran across the rock crawlers and wanted one. Any ways ill check them out.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I am not far removed from being a newbie, but I started by buying a Summit, expensive, but a good all-arounder. You may think all you want is a crawler, but going super slow over a pile of rocks is not everyone's thing. I bought that truck in April 09, now I have it, a Honcho (scaler), a Losi Micro and an XR10. Honestly, I am considering selling my Summit, because all I care to do is crawl. But you won't know that until you get out there and play. So, I would suggest one of three things:

Buy an inexpensive purpose built crawler, can't go wrong with Axial period the end. Losi also make some decent rigs for the money. A micro will set you back $130 out the door with everything you need to crawl on the couch and some smaller rocks. This may be a smart move just so you can invest less in the beginning and go from there as you learn more about them.

I would also recommend spending $25 and getting a star on here. That will open up the classifieds section to you and check it twice a day. Amazing how much stuff people post and most everyone is reasonable on price. Buying a used rig, if properly maintained will give you a lot of truck for your money.

Lastly, I would only post more newbie questions in the newbie section as you are less likely to get flamed. I will never be one to chastise you for posting a question that could be found on a search, only because not everyone knows what keywords will give them the best search results. But you should spend as much time as possible just reading posts..go to the individual sections for each vehicle brand you are considering, read the newbie and general section the most. You should go RTR so there is little need to spend time on the electronics section, tires or other parts. If you feel embarrassed about asking a question, PM me and I will at least point you in the right direction. I know a lot less than the pros on here, but I am always willing to help.
fiveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

As for your run time worry, crawlers tend to run a good while on a charge. You spend a lot less time laying on full throttle and burning the juice out of the battery. I'm geting about 2 hours out of my full charge (NiMh).
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Talking thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
As for your run time worry, crawlers tend to run a good while on a charge. You spend a lot less time laying on full throttle and burning the juice out of the battery. I'm geting about 2 hours out of my full charge (NiMh).
Awsome man thanks for that im ganna go with the Losi Nightcrawler 1/10
its a 7.4V 1650 mAh 2S 30 c lipo, is that about what its ganna run?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Awsome man thanks for that im ganna go with the Losi Nightcrawler 1/10
its a 7.4V 1650 mAh 2S 30 c lipo, is that about what its ganna run?
Good choice. That was the first crawler that i started out with and i still love driving it! It is just a lot of fun and very reliable. that 1650 mAh battery that it comes with last about 45 minutes for me. i would suggest having 2 or 3 batteries charged up when you go crawlin. You can find good deals on 2000+ mAh NiMH batteries. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #15

Default Re: Newbie need some help!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I want to get into rock crawling and I would like to know what rc rock crawler I should buy? I have about 250 bucks to spend maybe 300. A big question I have is what's the battery life on average on one charged battery 15 min 20 min. ? Is there a better battery I can buy to last longer? Thanks!
NM
did u get a crawler i live in carlsbad also and can show u around a few spots we crawl at
SoCal/crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
In the band for now.

check out " valuehobby.com" any tpe of battery you could ever want, with great prices. dont get sucked into the high dolars one these work just as good. been using mine for 3+ years and still holding strong.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal/crawler View Post
did u get a crawler i live in carlsbad also and can show u around a few spots we crawl at
This is ~3 1/2 years old, they may have moved or gotten out of the hobby.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote